website statistics

Women's Water Polo Tournament at the Aquatics WA World Championships 2023 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

3 hours ago, Vektor said:

These are the expected QFs now:

:USA v :ITA

:NED v :CAN 

:GRE v :AUS 

:HUN v :ESP 

The US and Spain are the heavy favorites for the quotas, with a slight chance that the Netherlands upsets the US in the semi or Hungary upsets Spain in the quarters, but I wouldn't bet money on either of those to happen, women's water polo is very predictable. 

The most important thing for the European countries is that Australia does not reach the final of the World Cup. Otherwise there is one less ticket for Europe, because New Zealand takes Oceania's quota spot. In that case you get an Olympic tournament with weak countries New Zealand, South Africa, France, China, Canada and 5 strong countries.

4 minutes ago, CCB said:

The most important thing for the European countries is that Australia does not reach the final of the World Cup. Otherwise there is one less ticket for Europe, because New Zealand takes Oceania's quota spot. In that case you get an Olympic tournament with weak countries New Zealand, South Africa, France, China, Canada and 5 strong countries.

yes the dream would be 2 European nations listed! in any case we will have to do without a strong european nation: greece will still be on the hook! unless south africa does not accept its quotas

14 minutes ago, CCB said:

On the flip side, you just have to beat the US in the semi and we can get all the 5 top European teams in Paris. Sounds easy enough. :p

14 minutes ago, Vektor said:

On the flip side, you just have to beat the US in the semi and we can get all the 5 top European teams in Paris. Sounds easy enough. :p

the 5? donations hungary spain italy greece and the netherlands!! that would be my dream!!

2 hours ago, CCB said:

Canada won't medal, but they certainly aren't a "weak country" in women's water polo.

Edited by Josh

Time for my annual reminder that we won the 2011 World Championships and still did not qualify for London 2012 :cry:

Back then only 8 teams made it to OG, and the world champion didn't get a quota. Then we also got silver at the European Championships but Europe did not have any automatic quotas (though the Americas, Asia, and Oceania each did :wacko:). So, the only chance for a European team to qualify was via the World Qualification Tournament, and we lost to Spain in the match for qualification. Spain ended up winning silver in London.

Then for 2016, Europe did get an automatic spot, but we came 5th at the European Championships so again had to try at the World Qualification Tournament. We lost to Russia on penalties (after leading 9-7 with about two minutes left, and then 10-9 until Russia equalised with 4 seconds left) in the match for qualification...Russia ended up with bronze in Rio.

Then for 2020, they added 2 quotas but one went to Africa and one to the World League, which USA won so then Canada took the Americas quota, so really it made no difference for us and in the match for qualification we led the Netherlands 4-3 at halftime and were unable to score any goals in the second half...

So yeah, it's a really bitter feeling and I think no other national team from any sport has missed out several Olympics in a row like we have.

Not to mention our best young player left us to play for USA...

Edited by Makedonas

1 hour ago, Josh said:

Canada won't medal, but they certainly aren't a "weak country" in women's water polo.

I should have put Canada in the list of the strong countries. This was a typo on my part, my apologies. 

23 minutes ago, Makedonas said:

Time for my annual reminder that we won the 2011 World Championships and still did not qualify for London 2012 :cry:

Back then only 8 teams made it to OG, and the world champion didn't get a quota. Then we also got silver at the European Championships but Europe did not have any automatic quotas (though the Americas, Asia, and Oceania each did :wacko:). So, the only chance for a European team to qualify was via the World Qualification Tournament, and we lost to Spain in the match for qualification. Spain ended up winning silver in London.

Then for 2016, Europe did get an automatic spot, but we came 5th at the European Championships so again had to try at the World Qualification Tournament. We lost to Russia on penalties (after leading 9-7 with about two minutes left, and then 10-9 until Russia equalised with 4 seconds left) in the match for qualification...Russia ended up with bronze in Rio.

Then for 2020, they added 2 quotas but one went to Africa and one to the World League, which USA won so then Canada took the Americas quota, so really it made no difference for us and in the match for qualification we led the Netherlands 4-3 at halftime and were unable to score any goals in the second half...

So yeah, it's a really bitter feeling and I think no other national team from any sport has missed out several Olympics in a row like we have.

Not to mention our best young player left us to play for USA...

Also in 2016 we beat Spain in the group stage, and in 2020 we beat Hungary in the group stage. Both of those teams ended up qualifying of course...