website statistics

Women's Water Polo Tournament at the Aquatics WA World Championships 2023 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

On 7/16/2023 at 8:23 AM, Vektor said:

These are the expected QFs now:

:USA v :ITA

:NED v :CAN 

:GRE v :AUS 

:HUN v :ESP 

The US and Spain are the heavy favorites for the quotas, with a slight chance that the Netherlands upsets the US in the semi or Hungary upsets Spain in the quarters, but I wouldn't bet money on either of those to happen, women's water polo is very predictable. 

Women's water polo is predictable as always, these will be the QFs, as it was expected.

:USA v :NED SF is almost set in stone, while the other two QFs, :GRE v :AUS and :HUN v :ESP will be less predictable. I am guessing an :AUS v :ESP semi, but Greece and Hungary have a chance to upset.

5 minutes ago, JoshMartini007 said:

:NED could defeat :USA in the semis which then puts :CAN in the hot seat.

:AUS winning against the European teams and qualifying here is more likely. But the most likely scenario obviously is :USA + :ESP here.

And honestly, if :ITA is truly that weak, they shouldn't qualify for Paris just because Russia is banned. 

2 hours ago, Vektor said:

:AUS winning against the European teams and qualifying here is more likely. But the most likely scenario obviously is :USA + :ESP here.

And honestly, if :ITA is truly that weak, they shouldn't qualify for Paris just because Russia is banned. 

:AUS in the final means two out of :ESP:NED:GRE:HUN:ITA will miss the Games. That's even a bigger mess ... 

I don't see :NED upset :USA . Well, when :NED doesn't qualify, it's their own 'fault'. Losing against Spain was enough for a realistic Olympic chance. 

15 hours ago, Vektor said:

The problem to me is moreso that it is really dependent on the draw next time around. Draw :USA early and you are in a messy situation. Still able to get out of it though, 3rd place will be enough. What also is a problem to me is the proximity of the Europeans and the next worlds, but the difference to the smaller nations makes that it should be fine.

If :NED edge out a surprise and :AUS fails to make the finals, then five teams is on the cards. But seems very unlikely. The latter is more important to me though, if :ESP qualifies now I'm pretty positive :NED will take on of the spots for grabs later on.

1 hour ago, AsensioWillemsen said:

The problem to me is moreso that it is really dependent on the draw next time around. Draw :USA early and you are in a messy situation. Still able to get out of it though, 3rd place will be enough. What also is a problem to me is the proximity of the Europeans and the next worlds, but the difference to the smaller nations makes that it should be fine.

If :NED edge out a surprise and :AUS fails to make the finals, then five teams is on the cards. But seems very unlikely. The latter is more important to me though, if :ESP qualifies now I'm pretty positive :NED will take on of the spots for grabs later on.

Bad draw can still be an issue if a team gets unlucky. I mean, imagine this...

:HUN gets defeated by :ESP here in the QF

:HUN gets defeated by :ESP at the Euros in the SF (the winner of the other SF wins the quota there)

:HUN gets defeated by :ESP yet again at the next Worlds in the QF 

If we somehow get Spain early on every time, we might not qualify to Paris even if we are supposedly the 2nd or 3rd best team in Europe, we are just unable to beat the best European team. 

This is why it's an AWFUL idea to have the World Champs as a final qualification tournament instead of an actual qualification tournament where already qualified teams can't compete.