website statistics

Women's Water Polo Tournament at the Aquatics WA World Championships 2023 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Looking at the draw, the fight for the quota (reaching the final) will probably look like this:

Competing for the quota in the upper half of the bracket

:USA

:ESP or :NED

:GRE or :ITA

Competing for the quota in the bottom half of the bracket

:GRE or :ITA

:HUN

:AUS

:ESP or :NED

The loser of :ESP v :NED will avoid the US. Which probably means that both Spain and Netherlands will try to lose that match...

My bet is on that the :USA obviously takes the quota from the upper half, while :ESP deliberately avoids them and then probably wins the quota from the bottom half. We will meet Spain in the QF and lose to them once again...

Edited by Vektor

The Netherlands will simply try to win that match. After the 12-8 win against Spain in the semi-finals of the World Cup, it would be too flashy to lose. There is still a chance for the Netherlands at the European Championships and the next World Championships. It is annoying that the countries already placed for the OG are also participating again. A certain form of match fixing is therefore unavoidable. After the women's hockey, the water polo players are the Dutch team from which the best performance is expected in Paris. It is assumed that the hockey teams and the water polo team are the three qualifying team sports of the Netherlands in Paris.

9 minutes ago, CCB said:

The Netherlands will simply try to win that match. After the 12-8 win against Spain in the semi-finals of the World Cup, it would be too flashy to lose. There is still a chance for the Netherlands at the European Championships and the next World Championships. It is annoying that the countries already placed for the OG are also participating again. A certain form of match fixing is therefore unavoidable. After the women's hockey, the water polo players are the Dutch team from which the best performance is expected in Paris. It is assumed that the hockey teams and the water polo team are the three qualifying team sports of the Netherlands in Paris.

Yeah, it's going to be awful that the last chance qualification will be at the 2024 Worlds instead of a qualification tournament. The last quotas might be decided based on luck / match fixing. 

• 3 weeks later...

:NED wins against :ESP and that's likely a huge step for Spain to win the quota as they will now avoid the US until the final...

I guess we will lose against Spain once again in the QF, as is our fate in these tournaments...

@CCB as you have said, the Dutch girls have figured out a way to beat Spain, and their reward will be a harder path to the quota here. 

Edited by Vektor

These are the expected QFs now:

:USA v :ITA

:NED v :CAN 

:GRE v :AUS 

:HUN v :ESP 

The US and Spain are the heavy favorites for the quotas, with a slight chance that the Netherlands upsets the US in the semi or Hungary upsets Spain in the quarters, but I wouldn't bet money on either of those to happen, women's water polo is very predictable. 

Edited by Vektor

And if you are wondering why I am already so defeated before we even played a single match, this is our head-to-head statistic against Spain in women's water polo at the main tournaments (SOG, Worlds, Euros):

2022 Euros :ESP v :HUN  15-11

2021 Olympics :ESP v :HUN  8-6

2020 Euros :ESP v :HUN  11-10

2019 Worlds :ESP v :HUN  16-10

2018 Euros :ESP v :HUN  12-6

2018 Euros :ESP v :HUN  13-9

2016 Olympics :ESP v :HUN  11-10

2014 Euros :ESP v :HUN  9-8

2013 Worlds :ESP v :HUN  13-12

2012 Olympics :ESP v :HUN  10-9

2012 Olympics :ESP v :HUN  13-11

2012 Euros :HUN v :ESP  11-9

Its Been A Long Time Waiting GIF

I can't get my hopes up anymore.

Edited by Vektor

3 hours ago, Vektor said:

:NED wins against :ESP and that's likely a huge step for Spain to win the quota as they will now avoid the US until the final...

I guess we will lose against Spain once again in the QF, as is our fate in these tournaments...

@CCB as you have said, the Dutch girls have figured out a way to beat Spain, and their reward will be a harder path to the quota here. 

Well, actually I'm very disappointed. The Dutch waterpoloteam has eliminated itself. Very stupid, although I'm not a fan of losing on purpose, but at the next World Cup it will certainly happen. 

3 hours ago, Vektor said:

And if you are wondering why I am already so defeated before we even played a single match, this is our head-to-head statistic against Spain in women's water polo at the main tournaments (SOG, Worlds, Euros):

2022 Euros :ESP v :HUN  15-11

2021 Olympics :ESP v :HUN  8-6

2020 Euros :ESP v :HUN  11-10

2019 Worlds :ESP v :HUN  16-10

2018 Euros :ESP v :HUN  12-6

2018 Euros :ESP v :HUN  13-9

2016 Olympics :ESP v :HUN  11-10

2014 Euros :ESP v :HUN  9-8

2013 Worlds :ESP v :HUN  13-12

2012 Olympics :ESP v :HUN  10-9

2012 Olympics :ESP v :HUN  13-11

2012 Euros :HUN v :ESP  11-9

Its Been A Long Time Waiting GIF

I can get my hopes up anymore.

On the other hand: Netherlands does not have good memories of matches against Hungary in recent years. In that respect, it might be better we have a good chance of reaching the semis now.