website statistics

Swimming at the Aquatics WA World Championships 2023 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

5 hours ago, Josh said:

With Ruck's form unknown, and Pickrem, Oleksiak, and Smith all choosing to skip, doesn't look like any Canadian relays will be medaling (And qualifying for Paris 2024) in Fukuoka. That being said, qualifying for the final here should secure Paris 2024 qualification, which seems possible for W 4X100 FR, W 4X200 FR, W 4x100M, MX 4X100M, and M 4x100FR relays (Maybe M 4x100M with Dergousoff, Liendo, Kharun, and Acevado too). 

News on McIntosh, she's expected to race in four individual events, and two relays. If I had to guess, I'm thinking she drops the 200IM as the SF conflicts with the 400FR and 4x100FR finals. 

Here's what I'm thinking for her schedule:

Day 1 (July 23)

Morning Session

W 400FR - H

W 4x100FR - H

Evening Session

W 400FR - F

W 4x100FR - F

Day 3 (July 25)

Morning Session

W 200FR - H

Evening Session

W 200FR - SF

Day 4 (July 26)

Morning Session

W 200FL - H

Evening Session

W 200FR - F

W 200FL - SF

Day 5 (July 27)

Morning Session

W 4x200FR - H

Evening Session

W 200FL - F

W 4x200FR - F

Day 8 (July 30)

Morning Session

W 400IM - H

Evening Session

W 400IM - F

In a vacuum she should definitely swim the 400 free and the 400 IM. She is the clear favorite in both. I think of the remaining 3 events (200 free, 200 fly, 200 IM), the 200 IM is the one where she has the worst chance of winning a medal, but the best chance of winning gold, while the 200 fly is the one where she probably has the worst chance of winning gold. It sounds crazy to drop an event where she is the world leader (while keeping 2 events (200 free and 200 fly) where she isn't the world leader), but it probably is the smart decision. Not sure how much influence the relays should have on her decision. Don't really see the point of her swimming any relays.

In the men's 4 x 100 m free relay there are at least 7 stronger nations, maybe Canada can upset Japan for the 8th spot. In the men's 4 x 100 m medley there are also at least 7 stronger nations and i think even Germany is better on paper.

Edited by OlympicsFan

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

1 hour ago, OlympicsFan said:

In a vacuum she should definitely swim the 400 free and the 400 IM. She is the clear favorite in both. I think of the remaining 3 events (200 free, 200 fly, 200 IM), the 200 IM is the one where she has the worst chance of winning a medal, but the best chance of winning gold, while the 200 fly is the one where she probably has the worst chance of winning gold. It sounds crazy to drop an event where she is the world leader (while keeping 2 events (200 free and 200 fly) where she isn't the world leader), but it probably is the smart decision. Not sure how much influence the relays should have on her decision. Don't really see the point of her swimming any relays.

In the men's 4 x 100 m free relay there are at least 7 stronger nations, maybe Canada can upset Japan for the 8th spot. In the men's 4 x 100 m medley there are also at least 7 stronger nations and i think even Germany is better on paper.

She needs to swim relays to qualify for olympics and not depend on next year Worlds.

8 hours ago, Josh said:

News on McIntosh, she's expected to race in four individual events, and two relays. If I had to guess, I'm thinking she drops the 200IM as the SF conflicts with the 400FR and 4x100FR finals. 

Do you have a source for this?

2 hours ago, rybak said:

:POL will not have here any relay... We eliminated yourselfes from chances to have relays in Paris...

why?

13 out of 16 spots in each and every relay event will be awarded next year in Doha :evil:

only the teams winning a medal qualify through this championship...and for :POL frankly that would be impossible in any case ;)

4 minutes ago, phelps said:

why?

13 out of 16 spots in each and every relay event will be awarded next year in Doha :evil:

only the teams winning a medal qualify through this championship...and for :POL frankly that would be impossible in any case ;)

Those 13 spots will be awarded based on both Doha and Fukuoka, it will go to the 13 fastest relays of these two WCh. I am not entire sure which WCh will have the faster times in the relay events. Hungary for example will have to focus on Doha, hoping that Milák will return by then, we are fucked without him.