website statistics

Athletics 2023 Discussion Thread

Totallympics

1 hour ago, phelps said:

no, I love being so lazy! :roflmao:

jokes aside, I couldn't start running even if I wanted...my left knee will never allow me to try and make any effort in that sense (I have a non-operated ACL...just have to be very conservative on that)

Hahaha, nothing wrong with being lazy :cool:

Ah yeah, then maybe not the best idea to go running. 

1 hour ago, dodge said:

I suffered with a knee too. I was happy to complete the couch to 5k programme by mostly running on grass

5k is my limit though. Any more and the knee swells! 

Hats off to everyone who can complete a marathon!

Yeah, the knee is an issue for a lot of runners. Maybe swimming or cycling is a better alternative then.

I also lightly injured my knee a week before the marathon and they were also the first body part that starts to hurt. It's so insane that there are so many videos on YouTube of people trying to run a marathon without any training. Even if you have the stamina, your knees will hate you forever. 

I trained/ran in distance races for a decade a more. I absolutely loved doing 5kms. I picked up one injury in ultimate frisbee, and was told I had to stop unless I wanted a knee replacement later in life :(

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

4 hours ago, justony said:

Well done, @Dennis, for running in Amsterdam.

I will only be running 21 km in Ljubljana this Sunday, marathon distance is beyond my limits.

Hats off to all runners. 

Good luck! How's the course? Is it flat or more hilly? And do you have a time in mind that you want to run?

I was thinking about running marathons in different cities and I've never visited Ljubljana before, so perhaps a nice option for the upcoming years.

13 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

This story won't end anytime soon if their father keeps denying all allegations. I wonder what the impact of this situation will be on the results of the brothers in the upcoming years. They're still young, but I don't see them having a long career if this negativity keeps following them. 

10 minutes ago, Dennis said:

Good luck! How's the course? Is it flat or more hilly? And do you have a time in mind that you want to run?

I was thinking about running marathons in different cities and I've never visited Ljubljana before, so perhaps a nice option for the upcoming years.

This story won't end anytime soon if their father keeps denying all allegations. I wonder what the impact of this situation will be on the results of the brothers in the upcoming years. They're still young, but I don't see them having a long career if this negativity keeps following them. 

Yes, Ljubljana is quite flat, on half marathon course there are only 70 meters of incline, on full marathon a bit more.

It is very accessible and friendly run, this year there is new record, around 34 % of foreign runners will run, that is around 4000 out of close to 14.000 runners.

On 10/10/2023 at 8:26 PM, Dennis said:

Yeah, insane range. However, Hassan isn't one of the finalists for European athlete of the year. The finalists are:

• Women: :NED Bol, :UKR Mahuchikh, :ESP Perez
  • Men: :SWE Duplantis, :NOR Ingebritsen, :GRE Tentoglou
  • Women's Rising Star: :IRL Adeleke, :LAT Caune, :SRB Topic
  • Men's Rising Star: :ITA Furlani, :NOR Ingvaldsen, :NED Laros

Previous winners:

Year Women Men Women Rising Star Men Rising Star
2022 :NED Bol :NOR Ingebritsen &
:SWE Duplantis
:GRE Tzengko :LTU Alekna
2021 :NED Hassan :NOR Warholm :NED Bol :FRA Zhoya
2020 not awarded
2019 :RUS Lasitskene :NOR Warholm :UKR Mahuchikh :GER Kaul
2018 :GBR Asher-Smith :FRA Mayer :BLR Herman :NOR Ingebritsen &
:SWE Duplantis
2017 :GRE Stefanidi :GER Vetter :UKR Levchenko :NOR Warholm
2016 :ESP Beitia :GBR Farah :BEL Thiam :GER Heß
2015 :NED Schippers :GBR Rutherford :SUI Zbären :POL Bukowiecki
2014 :NED Schippers :FRA Lavillenie :RUS Kuchina :GBR Gemili
2013 :CZE Hejnová :UKR Bondarenko :ISL Hinriksdóttir :SRB Bekrić

The fact that Thiam has never become European athlete of the year is quite surprising to me.

Winners 2023: :NED Bol, :NOR Ingebritsen, :SRB Topic, and :ITA Furlani

Another one of the unique United States ultra-marathons. Here’s an old explanation of it: https://www.si.com/more-sports/2019/12/04/big-dogs-backyard-ultra-marathon

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela