website statistics

Summer Olympics Games 2020 Opening Ceremony Flag Bearers

fortunately :IRI Iran didn't go for IOC's "wise" advice.

one flagbearer and that will be Samad Nikkhah Bahrami (basketball)

and since I'm quite sure some people will start to create some stories from this. Iran had female flagbearers in past 3 big events. (2016 OG, 2018 AG and 2018 WOG) this time was men's turn. beside that we don't have a notable experienced female athlete in our delegation this time. they are all 20-22 or younger. the only possible candidate has her competition few hours after the ceremony.

PS: it seems Mojtaba Abedini (Fencing) was the 1st choice but he rejected that since the men's sabre competition will be helf the next day morning.

Huge kudos to Iran for holding their own.

This dual flag bearer idea really just removes individuality of the athletes and reduces them to their gender... It's patronizing and presumptuous. And all that to appease that tiny minority which obsesses over stuff like the exact gender count.

#banbestmen

2 hours ago, MHSN said:

and since I'm quite sure some people will start to create some stories from this. Iran had female flagbearers in past 3 big events. (2016 OG, 2018 AG and 2018 WOG) this time was men's turn.

One short sentence which is already enough to bash in every attempt at creating some story from this :d 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

:MEX Rommel Pacheco (diving) & Gaby López (golf)

@Braulio @RiSeGwangFan

I’m glad for Rommel, he was also my choice for the position. As for Lopez, it is an odd choice, I’d rather pick Ruth Castillo or Alexa Moreno.

I’m not against the two flagbearer system, but it should be a free decision not a demand from Bach.

On 16/06/2021 at 17:28, dcro said:

:CRO Josip Glasnović & Sandra Perković

We join the nonsense...

Why two?

One Is enough :-)

And i wonder that sb from athletic can join of opening ceremony. I heart one month ago, that athletes will spend in Tokio only a few days which they need for their sports. And opening ceremony Is one week before start athletic competition.