website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Eurovision Song Contest 2023

rybak

1 hour ago, heywoodu said:

The whole point is that it's a mix of televoting and jury, so I really don't get what exactly the problem is with Sweden winning in that regards (other than my own personal opinion of thinking the act simply is nothing special). If you win one but not the other, that's fine, the entire point is you are the best overall instead of either just the most popular or the most 'professional'...

If it's mostly televoting, we'll get complaints about acts scoring high just because of sympathy (hello Ukraine) or diaspora or something (hello Turkey) and 'we should have judges award points too' :p 

The point of the jury was never to have the "best overall winner". Their introduction was always about reducing the impact of diaspora vote, that was the goal. And that goal in some ways failed because we always see how the jury likes their neighbors, sometimes even more than the public.

EBU never wanted a less popular act to win the contest. Because this isn't the Grammys or the Oscars, this should be about the public's opinion first and foremost, not some few individuals. The most popular act should still win, just with reduced impact from the diaspora. This is why I think in theory a 66% public 33% jury voting would achieve what they want, limit the diaspora impact while still the most popular song wins. 

Just now, Vektor said:

The point of the jury was never to have the "best overall winner". Their introduction was always about reducing the impact of diaspora vote, that was the goal. And that goal in some ways failed because we always see how the jury likes their neighbors, sometimes even more than the public.

EBU never wanted a less popular act to win the contest. Because this isn't the Grammys or the Oscars, this should be about the public's opinion first and foremost, not some few individuals. The most popular act should still win, just with reduced impact from the diaspora. This is why I think in theory a 66% public 33% jury voting would achieve what they want, limit the diaspora impact while still the most popular song wins. 

Well, that's going to be a matter of having to agree to disagree then I think :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

5 hours ago, Belle said:

Finland was the only country to not give Sweden any televoting points. Yeah nice and fair country Finland is. :facepalm:

Btw grow up people Sweden won fair according the rules both 2015 and 2023. Only kids are crying about the rules when they don’t win :rolleyes:

The rules clearly should be questioned as it has been for over a decade now, Sweden is only the main target of this because you seem to benefit the most from it. The juries simply favor Sweden more than the actual European public does. And that will continue to hurt your reputation in this show. People already see you as the "villain" of Eurovision because you benefit from a system where the votes of a few selected individuals are just as important as the votes of an entire continent. 

2 hours ago, heywoodu said:

Well, that's going to be a matter of having to agree to disagree then I think :p 

Well, I came up with a system that keeps the voting 50% jury and 50% televote, BUT makes it impossible for the jury to heavily favor a song, so their impact on who wins is reduced. I posted it Reddit, I will just copy it to here:

When 37 countries participate, the countries overall give out 2146 jury points. It's distributed based on the jury Top10 of each country. So when we saw that Sweden got twice as many jury points as the 2nd placed country, the chances of the televote having a similar impact on the winner was very low, therefore the winner was likely decided before the end.

So here's my solution: count the jury points as usual and then redistribute them based on the overall jury ranking.

Here's what I mean:

Nation Original Jury Points Redistribution Weight Redistributed Jury Points
Sweden 340 35 198
Israel 177 33 186
Italy 176 31 175
Finland 150 29 164
Estonia 146 27 152
Australia 130 25 141
Belgium 127 23 130
Austria 104 21 119
Spain 95 19 107
Czechia 94 17 96
Lithuania 81 15 85
Armenia 69 14 79
Cyprus 68 13 73
Switzerland 61 12 68
Ukraine 54 11 62
France 54 10 56
Norway 52 9 51
Portugal 43 8 45
Slovenia 33 7 40
Moldova 20 6 34
Albania 17 5 28
United Kingdom 15 4 23
Serbia 14 3 17
Poland 12 2 11
Croatia 11 1 6
Germany 3 0 0
--- --- --- ---
Sum 2146 --- 2146

And then you get the overall results based on the original televote points + the redistributed jury points.

Nation Overall Jury Televote
1 Finland 540 164 376
2 Sweden 441 198 243
3 Israel 371 186 185
4 Italy 349 175 174
5 Norway 267 51 216
6 Ukraine 251 62 189
7 Belgium 185 130 55
8 Estonia 174 152 22
9 Australia 162 141 21
10 Austria 135 119 16
11 Armenia 132 79 53
12 Cyprus 131 73 58
13 Lithuania 131 85 46
14 Czechia 131 96 35
15 Croatia 118 6 112
16 Spain 112 107 5
17 Moldova 110 34 76
18 France 106 56 50
19 Switzerland 99 68 31
20 Poland 92 11 81
21 Albania 87 28 59
21 Slovenia 85 40 45
21 Portugal 61 45 16
24 Serbia 33 17 16
25 United Kingdom 32 23 9
26 Germany 15 0 15

So the jury overall ranks the countries while the viewers simply vote for the favorites. Makes sense to me. The jury provides a balance to the public, and can still kill a song by placing it very low in their ranking, but they can't truly crown a winning song with this system.

Edited by Vektor

That seems unfair...why not do the same with the televotes to make it fair with both set of votes being treated the same way?

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

2 hours ago, Vektor said:

The rules clearly should be questioned as it has been for over a decade now, Sweden is only the main target of this because you seem to benefit the most from it. The juries simply favor Sweden more than the actual European public does. And that will continue to hurt your reputation in this show. People already see you as the "villain" of Eurovision because you benefit from a system where the votes of a few selected individuals are just as important as the votes of an entire continent. 

She was second in the televoting without even a single televoting point from cheating Finland 

you know the televoting can be tactical and unfair too?

last year everyone complained about Ukraine winning the televoting. The point is there are complaining about the winner almost ever year. Grow up 

Edited by Belle

52 minutes ago, Belle said:

She was second in the televoting without even a single televoting point from cheating Finland 

you know the televoting can be tactical and unfair too?

last year everyone complained about Ukraine winning the televoting. The point is there are complaining about the winner almost ever year. Grow up 

'Cheating Finland because they didn't give us points', come on :p 

17 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

'Cheating Finland because they didn't give us points', come on :p 

Of all countries they were the only country to not give Sweden any televoting points. Coincidence? I really don’t think so.