website statistics

Athletics 2022 Discussion Thread

Totallympics

:CHN Guangzhou World Relays in 2023 have been cancelled (surprise😅😅) This also means the criteria for qualifying for WCH 2023 have changed. Newly, best 8 relays from Eugene automatically qualify to Budapest and remaining 8 according to world ranking. 

1 hour ago, Jan Linha said:

:CHN Guangzhou World Relays in 2023 have been cancelled (surprise😅😅) This also means the criteria for qualifying for WCH 2023 have changed. Newly, best 8 relays from Eugene automatically qualify to Budapest and remaining 8 according to world ranking. 

And this will be the official welcoming song.

They should just scratch World Relays for good then if nobody is up to for hosting it except China.

Hilarious thing to say that China is up for hosting anything these days, but here we are. I will not even attempt to understand the inner mechanism of Winnie.

Think Winnie The Pooh GIF

Edited by dcro

#banbestmen

2 hours ago, Jan Linha said:

Thats unfair, the event could be moved somwhere else, to Chorzów for example :p

With this new qualification criteria no relay from Poland isnt actually qualified :yikes:

22 hours ago, dcro said:

They should just scratch World Relays for good then if nobody is up to for hosting it except China.

Hilarious thing to say that China is up for hosting anything these days, but here we are. I will not even attempt to understand the inner mechanism of Winnie.

Think Winnie The Pooh GIF

:CHN is unfortunately just "acting out" that they can host anything. They don't want lose face in front of WA or other federations. Of course they know ahead that it will be trouble, rather impossible. They are just not aware that this behaviour may take away many events from them. Or at least they don't want to admit it. I think instead of their game they should say ahead of time that they won't host it so other hosts can be found. Not only in athletics but in all sports. 

2 hours ago, Jan Linha said:

:CHN is unfortunately just "acting out" that they can host anything. They don't want lose face in front of WA or other federations. Of course they know ahead that it will be trouble, rather impossible. They are just not aware that this behaviour may take away many events from them. Or at least they don't want to admit it. I think instead of their game they should say ahead of time that they won't host it so other hosts can be found. Not only in athletics but in all sports. 

They (or the Wanda Group) are the main sponsors of the DL, so they get a lot more indulgence than other nations would.

• 4 weeks later...

I got an email from World Athletics which says that subscribers to "The Inside Track" will receive a code to purchase tickets for the 2023 World Championships from 10h00 CET on 9 December until 23h59 on 11 December. The general sale will start on December 12.

Edit: https://www.worldathletics.org/competitions/world-athletics-championships/budapest23/world-athletics-championships-tickets-to-go-on-sale-on-12-december

Edited by Vektor

Oh man, $54 for the finals... I mean, that's not that expensive, a ticket of a Hungarian international football match costs the same, and I will pay it, but will 30.000 Hungarians pay that kind of money per evening? I doubt it, Hungarians don't care that much about athletics.

great news for many European Athletics fans...

Eurosport/Discovery media bought the TV & Internet rights of the 2023 World Athletics Championships to be held in Budapest :cheer:

more than 45 European Countries will be able to watch the event on the linear TV Channels Eurosport 1 & Eurosport 2 (the deal doesn't include the Nordic Countries: :SWE:NOR:DEN:FIN) and stream all the events on the Eurosport OTT (in :GER:AUT:ITA:NED:GBR:IRL also on Discovery Plus).

important note: the agreement is, as usually happens for Eusp/Discovery, on non-exclusive basis, which means that the National TV Networks can still make a deal with ESPN and Eurovision Sports, the rightholders and distributors.

https://www.eurosport.com/athletics/warner-bros.-discovery-secures-rights-to-broadcast-the-2023-world-athletics-championships_sto9248427/story.shtml

https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1130950/warner-bos-athletics#:~:text=The Budapest 2023 World Athletics,stream the event on discovery%2B.