website statistics

Summer Olympic Games Los Angeles 2028 Sports Programme

2 hours ago, hckošice said:

Look I don´t mind, 5-6 new added sports I really don´t mind at the end, the more the merrier as someone once said...

The sole and only important question however still remains, how much it will affect the other disciplines, will be the quota limits removed, or specially increased for the new sports or the added new sports will even take their quotas from them/other disciplines removed/other events quotas reduced to minimum ?

If it is A then Super, go ahead, no problem, welcome Cricket, Croquet, Flag-nofootplay-ball, lacrosse, squah etc...

If B - Even better, I will be first to sign

If C- Then NO. Enough with Bach and his "improvers youth/urban-agenda strategy" that ultimately only lead to destroy the entire Olympic value,

built up for so long in the past

I can't see these 5 effecting current quotas. And no one has mentioned mp boxing and weightlifting as well. It's just not possible to squeeze all 8 into the current 10500 limit 

10 hours ago, NearPup said:

Cricket is very simple to explain to someone who knows how baseball works - the main thing that is hard to grasp is that in cricket outs are valuable and runs are cheap, whereas in baseball runs are valuable and outs are cheap. Everything else is very easy to explain.

Yep, that's the main difference. Cricket is a batter's game with occasional wins for the bowler, and baseball is a pitcher's game with occasional wins for the batter.

5 hours ago, NearPup said:

Local politics coming into play is sort of an inevitable consequence of allowing the host organizer to pick some additional sports. Especially when presumably there was some quid pro quo wrt adding cricket, a sport that was obviously not *really* picked by the LA organizers.

Indeed, it was patently obvious that Brisbane would be a better place to 'introduce' cricket, but IOC can't wait that long for the big TV rupees

5 hours ago, De_Gambassi said:

I don't see local politics in play with Tokyo and Paris choices. Not to the same degree anyway.

Everyone were ok with Tokyo additional sport, they were borderline olympic sports that made sense in a japanese context. Since then, it has been a mess. I guess RL nine is a lock for 2032 :facepalm:

Rugby League nine's wouldn't bother me, despite it being unlikely Ireland would get in. The Rugby League World Cup is a niche event, but the international game exists. The better comparison would be Flag AFL, or Dublin hosting a game and reinstruding Gaelic football 9's or Hurling. Actually, lacrosse, hurling...

You'd love hurling though. Only sport in the world actively designed for psycopathy.

9 hours ago, Monzanator said:

The bottom line is cricket only has like 5-6 countries that can play this sport at elite level. And West Indies wouldn't qualify for OG anyway. What's the point of having blow out games at this level? All this talk about diversity @ Olympics and they choose one of the least diverse sport there is. Other than former British Empire colonies this sport has gained zero traction across the world. Even baseball is more diverse despite the all too-predictable USA vs Japan WBC final almost each time.

You've answered your own question:

"the all too-predictable USA v Japan WBC final"

Cricket is not as predictable because there more genuine contenders GBR(Eng, technically Sco), AUS, NZL, IND, PAK, SRI, RSA are all plausible gold medalists.

As for West Indies, they'll do what they do for Commies - have an internal island tournament - which they have anyway - and then send JAM, BAR, TRI or GUY, and whoever they send might be good (or might not, at the moment!).

All five continents have a plausible contender for gold

and as for baseball - why do you think it is followed so strongly in Japan?

5 hours ago, Monzanator said:

Good luck in selling cricket in USA. You could hardly accept soccer which is the most popular sport in the world. And now you want cricket in Los Angeles? Some of these US fans would be more interested in hot dog eating competition than cricket IMO :lol:  Cricket is fine for Commonwealth Games to celebrate centuries of colonialism but there's a reason why countries outside of the British rule never found any interest in that.

Don't you realise cricket celebrates the END of colonialism, not colonialism - every great non-England team has been based, to some extent on the nation finding its separate identity - the original Australians, the great West Indies teams, the brilliant Indians and Pakistanis - all reclaiming their own identity, not celebrating colonialism at all.

You need to watch Lagaan.

43 minutes ago, mpjmcevoy said:

Rugby League nine's wouldn't bother me, despite it being unlikely Ireland would get in. The Rugby League World Cup is a niche event, but the international game exists. The better comparison would be Flag AFL, or Dublin hosting a game and reinstruding Gaelic football 9's or Hurling. Actually, lacrosse, hurling...

You'd love hurling though. Only sport in the world actively designed for psycopathy.

AFL doesn't even have a proper World Cup. It's a world festival or something without an australien team.

All these sports were and would be perfectly fine as demo sports as we used to have. 

The all-too predictable US vs. Japan baseball final is far from the truth. DR has won the WBC before as well and Cuba, South Korea, Puerto Rico have all made the final before. Venezuela, Netherlands and Mexico have also made the semifinals as well.