website statistics

Winter Olympic Games 2030 Bid Process

10 minutes ago, Josh said:

Wonder how uncompetitive their curling and hockey teams will be…  :rolleyes:

You can tell I’m not a big fan of either (given they’re both already hosting a summer Olympics six years prior), I would’ve much rather preferred Switzerland and Stockholm. 

Still more than the 3 previous hosts...

56 minutes ago, Federer91 said:

Awful... Where are Sweden and Switzerland. Can the IOC and bACh get any more pathetic 

I once read information that Sofia wanted to organize the Winter Olympics but I don't remember what year it was. Do you remember? Was this a realistic proposal and would it be possible to organize the winter games in Bulgaria?

Edited by copravolley

8 minutes ago, copravolley said:

I once read information that Sofia wanted to organize the Winter Olympics but I don't remember what year it was. Do you remember? Was this a realistic proposal and would it be possible to organize the winter games in Bulgaria?

As I remember there was an idea for hosting youth Winter Olympic Games. We had two unsuccessful bits for the WOG 1992 and 1994. I think there aren't chances to organize even YOG

2 hours ago, Ros said:

As I remember there was an idea for hosting youth Winter Olympic Games. We had two unsuccessful bits for the WOG 1992 and 1994. I think there aren't chances to organize even YOG

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bids_for_the_1994_Winter_Olympics

The election was made in 1988, so it was still during the times of the Bulgarian People's Republic. I have no idea what the winter sports infrastructure was like in the 1980s but if Sarajevo could do it in 1984, why not Sofia? Only the legacy from those games in 1984. for Sarajevo - today's Bosnia, are zero, and the facilities are devastated or no longer exist. In the case of Sofia, it would probably be similar if she had won those Olympics - especially remembering the poverty and corruption of the 1990s in Bulgaria.

By the way. I wonder why the USA doesn't want to organise winter OG in Anchorage- Alaska, like in 1994, but is still focusing on Salt Lake City? Costs too high?

Edited by copravolley