website statistics

Winter Olympic Games 2030 Bid Process

George_D

13 minutes ago, Federer91 said:

Also just pure coincidence that USA are being pushed for 2034, when we all know the NBC contract end with 2032. :rolleyes: IOC salivating on the negotiations for the new rights already.

Been saying the same thing for years now.  For all of the times that it was said the USOPC preferred 2034 to 2030, even when the IOC seemed like they may not have any options for 2030, that's going to be a huge boon for media rights.  Have a feeling they'll open up those negotiations right around when things are heating up for 2028 so they can maximize that contract.  As opposed to the 2022-2032 deal which they handed to NBC without much of a fight.

1 hour ago, Quaker2001 said:

Feel bad for Sweden.  3 countries just got validated and Sweden left out in the proverbial (and literal) cold yet again.

Lack of support being the main reason I believe, so...apparently the Swedish public/authorities don't really want it?

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 hour ago, NearPup said:

Not hosting in Stockholm in 2030 feels like a real missed opportunity.

The French bid winning 2030 feels very weird. I'm sure they will be perfectly good games. Switzerland being targeted for 2038 this far out also feels a bit weird.

I really hate how little transparancy this process has.

I'm glad with Switzerland being targeted for 2038 though, if 2030 and 2034 wasn't realistic for them. Switzerland is basically the number one country in the world that should have Winter Olympics in the next 20 years :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

32 minutes ago, Federer91 said:

Also just pure coincidence that USA are being pushed for 2034, when we all know the NBC contract end with 2032. :rolleyes: IOC salivating on the negotiations for the new rights already.

I believe it had more to do with "commercial conflicts" between 2028 and 2030. Although, I'm sure they'll be happy to guarantee some more broadcast dollars.

To be honest, I'm not sure what the consequences of back-to-back editions in the same country would be, so can't really form an opinion on that.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

I like France as a host country of sports competitions but I think IOC decision is unfair for Sweden which is a country where a lot of winter sports are popular and has never been a host of winter Olympics (it will be the 4th time for France). On the contrary, for SLC in 2034 I consider it logic since it will be 24 years after the last time that North America hosted the games and it was Vancouver-Canada , so normally next city from that subcontinent should be from USA

Edited by George_D

3 hours ago, heywoodu said:

I'm glad with Switzerland being targeted for 2038 though, if 2030 and 2034 wasn't realistic for them. Switzerland is basically the number one country in the world that should have Winter Olympics in the next 20 years :p 

True.

I would be happier about it if it wasn't the third Winter Olympics out of four hosted in the Alps (i.e. if Stockholm had gotten 2030).

We are way overdue to go back to the Alps, but having Milan, Nice and Switzerland back to back only broken up by SLC seems like a bit much.

Edited by NearPup

4 hours ago, Federer91 said:

France and USA having 2 Olympics in 6 years has a sour taste in my mouth. :dunno: Especially when there are other options available. Like why don't France host the 38 or 42 ones.

quite simply that today organizing the Olympic Games is very expensive, and now few countries will have the means to do it

9 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

I believe it had more to do with "commercial conflicts" between 2028 and 2030. Although, I'm sure they'll be happy to guarantee some more broadcast dollars.

To be honest, I'm not sure what the consequences of back-to-back editions in the same country would be, so can't really form an opinion on that.

Pushing Salt Lake to 2034 is a bonus for the IOC, but it was mostly the USOPC pushing that.  Having LA and Salt Lake only 18 months apart would be tough for LA to try and share in sponsorship dollars.  That's what the USOPC wanted to hold off on Salt Lake.  If they're asking companies to invest big in the Olympics, it's a tough ask for those same companies to do the same thing again less than 2 years later.  6 years later is an easier sell

12 hours ago, heywoodu said:

Lack of support being the main reason I believe, so...apparently the Swedish public/authorities don't really want it?

70% said in a survey they wanted it if they could prove it to be cost efficient, sustainable and democratic. Also the City of Stockholm and the government said yes. So both politicians and the people were much more positive this time than for the bid for 2026.

Dissapointed to probably never get the chance to see an olympics in Sweden, and definately never be able to compete in a home olympics.

• 1 month later...

Some info about the 2030 long track issue. One (new) option could be to use a temporary track in an already existing hall somewhere (anywhere really) and then reuse it as a training facility up into the mountains with limited costs for the french speed track program (which is currently being reinstalled by the roller sports federation).

IMO, this would be the best case scenario as a permanent long track rink sounds very much like a dead option (who would want on its territory a huge infrastructure guaranteed to run at a multi-millions loss every year ?)