website statistics

Wrestling Qualification to Summer Olympic Games Paris 2024 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

50 minutes ago, MHSN said:

UWW made some changes for the OQTs. no final, no repechage for continental OQTs ...

not a bad idea, those matches were useless and most wrestlers had to make a funny excuse to withdraw

but they didn't mention what if someone fails a drug test ? who will get the quota ? the most obvious answer is whoever lost to him in the SF

https://uww.org/article/four-seeds-no-finals-uww-approves-new-format-2024-olympic-qualifiers

More sports should follow this example of not having OQT finals in events with more than one available spot (so where every finalist would be qualified anyway).

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

I have a question related to what i am constantly doing these days - preparing my start lists and results predicitions for Paris.

Wrestling is one of those sports i don't know much about.

Now i think athletes with biggest chances for qualifying next to Paris are those who were aroung 6-10 th place at 2023 WCH.

So my questions are:

are 2023 European Championships, Asian Games and Pan American Games relevant? Are they useful for making these predictions? How much possible is that results of these competitions will be similar to the results of Continental Qualifying Events in 2024???

And what is the best site for wrestling rankings and are they better than boxing ones?

Edited by rafalgorka

7 hours ago, rafalgorka said:

I have a question related to what i am constantly doing these days - preparing my start lists and results predicitions for Paris.

Wrestling is one of those sports i don't know much about.

Now i think athletes with biggest chances for qualifying next to Paris are those who were aroung 6-10 th place at 2023 WCH.

So my questions are:

are 2023 European Championships, Asian Games and Pan American Games relevant? Are they useful for making these predictions? How much possible is that results of these competitions will be similar to the results of Continental Qualifying Events in 2024???

And what is the best site for wrestling rankings and are they better than boxing ones?

if wrestling was easy to predict by just looking at some ranking or some old results. it would be as boring as swimming.

there is no accurate ranking (American websites do good sometimes in making freestyle rankings but they are not free to read). finishing 7-10 in the Worlds doesn't really mean anything. that's based on classification points (which usually means how many weak wrestlers you met)

Continental results are not irrelevant but Asian Games was way too close to the World Champs and some big names had to sit out, also some wrestlers prefer to compete in non-Olympic weights in other years. Olympic Qualifier will be a completely different beast with some guys switching weights and some countries hiring new Russian mercenary wrestlers. 

12 hours ago, MHSN said:

if wrestling was easy to predict by just looking at some ranking or some old results. it would be as boring as swimming.

Sure, you are right. Wrestling results are much more unpredictable than swimming or athletics so from this point of view i should call it more interesting.

The problem is i just don’t really like combat sports much. I tried to watch them but i just like some other sports more. Maybe men’s boxing only is enjoyable for me sometimes but it is sooo hard to find a really good boxing bout…

thanks for all your contribution here at this forum, enjoy your day

Edited by rafalgorka

Oh i forgot m and w epee . This is good! Sabre or foil are less interesting for me. But epee is ok!

and that’s all - m boxing and m and w epee.

if we consider rugby a team combat sport i would add it here on the top of my list, 15s are much better than 7s for me

Edited by rafalgorka

• 1 month later...

Japan Olympic team at the end of their trials

Freestyle

57: Rei Higuchi

65: Kotaro Kiyooka

74: Daichi Takatani

86: Hayato Ishiguro 

97: Arash Yoshida

125: Taiki Yamamoto

Greco

60: Kenichiro Fumita

67: Kyotaro Sogabe

77: Nao Kusaka

87: So Sakabe

97: Yuri Nakazato

130: Sota Okamura

Women
50: Yui Susaki

53: Akari Fujinami

57: Tsugumi Sakurai

62: Sakura Motoki

68: Ami Ishii or Nonoka Ozaki

76: Yuka Kagami

Those in bold didn't wrestle in the trials because they were pre-selected for winning a medal at the 2023 World Championship

others still have to qualify the weight for Japan (and themselves)

68kg women is a special case. Ami Ishii finished 5th in Belgrade, qualified the weight but didn't win a medal. she lost here in this tournament but still has a second chance against the winner Ozaki. there will be a wrestle-off in another date.

• 1 month later...

I wrote something about Japan Olympic team earlier 

I just have to add that Nonoka Ozaki beat Ami Ishii 5-4 in their playoff match and qualified for Paris 2024.

Edited by Sindo

• 4 weeks later...

to lower the costs, UWW is having Continental Championships just one weak before the Olympic qualifiers. except for Europe of course. people in Europe always cared a lot about the European Champs.

while I do understand their reasons but they could have done it another way, but they made a mess, and ruined the prestige of continental championships. what's the point of having them in the olympic year, just to fill up the calendar ? 

per rules. countries have to participate in Continental Championships to become eligible to participate in the OG qualifier with the same number of wrestlers. they don't necessarily have to send the same guys, but most countries don't have enough budget to send two different teams for the Continental Champs and the qualifier. so it's mostly the same team for two events.

this led to something very weird and interesting tonight, Yasmani Acosta from Chile (he is Cuban) won the 130kg gold medal in Pan American Champs tonight without winning a single match :yikes: and it wasn't like nobody else entered. there were 6 other guys, he had to win 3 matches to win the gold but all of them happened to be a walkover , he lost his first group match, but from there nobody else showed up on the mat to face him. :facepalm: he is a tough guy. can drain your energy, those wrestlers probably thought it doesn't worth wrestling him now, one week before the main event. (no idea why the final didn't happen Oscar Pino is already qualified and is not concerned about the next week event)

here is the result. "VIN" means victory by injury 

https://arena.uww.org/weight-category/show/1eeb687a-ec52-6a1a-b325-370640f43f22/print/complete-results