website statistics

Women's Rugby Sevens Qualification to Summer Olympic Games Paris 2024 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ireland qualified for the Olympics, but they're set to take part in the European Games, which work as the European Qualification Tournament.

Don't know if they will be replaced, since their participation would take away a team the right to try and qualify (Norway it seems), and would unbalance the tournament. 

France weren't even invited despite the European Games status, so this is first and foremost an OQT. 

Also looking forward to the draw. World Series + 2022 European Championships results or Algarve 7s (1st leg of the 2023 European Championships) results ? 

55 minutes ago, SalamAkhi said:

Ireland qualified for the Olympics, but they're set to take part in the European Games, which work as the European Qualification Tournament.

Don't know if they will be replaced, since their participation would take away a team the right to try and qualify (Norway it seems), and would unbalance the tournament. 

France weren't even invited despite the European Games status, so this is first and foremost an OQT. 

Also looking forward to the draw. World Series + 2022 European Championships results or Algarve 7s (1st leg of the 2023 European Championships) results ? 

I believe the qualification document says qualified teams can’t compete. :NOR should get a reallocation, unless it’s too late to reallocate.

Edited by Olympian1010

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Qualified:FRA :NZL :AUS :IRL :USA :CAN :GBR :FIJ :RSA :BRA :JPN

Final repêchage tournament:CHN :HKG :POL :CZE :KEN :UGA :ARG :PAR :MEX :JAM :SAM :PNG

11 of the 12 World Series team have qualified. Spain the odd one out even failed to get to the repêchage.

Interesting tournament since it will quite simply be a Challenger Series additional edition (with Samoa and Jamaica instead of Thailand and Belgium), so how each team compares to the others will be known beforehand. 

3 hours ago, SalamAkhi said:

Qualified:FRA :NZL :AUS :IRL :USA :CAN :GBR :FIJ :RSA :BRA :JPN

Final repêchage tournament:CHN :HKG :POL :CZE :KEN :UGA :ARG :PAR :MEX :JAM :SAM :PNG

11 of the 12 World Series team have qualified. Spain the odd one out even failed to get to the repêchage.

Interesting tournament since it will quite simply be a Challenger Series additional edition (with Samoa and Jamaica instead of Thailand and Belgium), so how each team compares to the others will be known beforehand. 

I'd say Samoa are strong favourites BUT I wouldn't under-estimate the Kenyans or Argentinians. Anyone else would be a bit of a shock, but shocks do happen and this looks, like the Challenger series, like a cracking competition. Like Field Hockey, final Olympic Qualifiers can provide a hell of  a spectacle in themselves (last time in field hockey when Canada and Ireland split the last chance saloon finals, ties were extraordinarily tense - other team sports take note!)

23 minutes ago, mpjmcevoy said:

I'd say Samoa are strong favourites BUT I wouldn't under-estimate the Kenyans or Argentinians. Anyone else would be a bit of a shock, but shocks do happen and this looks, like the Challenger series, like a cracking competition. Like Field Hockey, final Olympic Qualifiers can provide a hell of  a spectacle in themselves (last time in field hockey when Canada and Ireland split the last chance saloon finals, ties were extraordinarily tense - other team sports take note!)

Don't underestimate China here.

Samoa is pretty weak in women's rugby sevens, to the point where they could realistically finish last in the final qualifier. :PNG is a better Pacific nation and that's not saying much either.

Predicting rugby sevens is a fool's game, but I can use a laugh in a few months :p 

:CHN:POL:CZE:KEN:ARG:HKG:UGA:PAR:MEX:PNG:SAM:JAM 

Let's see how far off I am...