website statistics

Women's Rugby Sevens Qualification to Summer Olympic Games Paris 2024 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

50 minutes ago, Cinnamon Bun said:

We could be banking on a permanent change to rugby 9s from Brisbane 2032, a sport we're very successful in. 

Very doubtful that would happen, sevens is far more popular than nines which is mostly played in Oceania.

Just now, JoshMartini007 said:

Very doubtful that would happen, sevens is far more popular than nines which is mostly played in Oceania.

If it does well in Brisbane I wouldn't be surprised if it says for the one after in 2036, especially if we're hosting.  

1 minute ago, JoshMartini007 said:

Sevens also has a lot going for it logistics wise (fewer quotas, compact schedule, etc.)

1 minute ago, Cinnamon Bun said:

If it does well in Brisbane I wouldn't be surprised if it says for the one after in 2036, especially if we're hosting.  

I haven’t even heard rumors about Rugby 9s being considered for Brisbane 2032. Any articles you can link to so I can learn more?

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

2 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Sevens also has a lot going for it logistics wise (fewer quotas, compact schedule, etc.)

I haven’t even heard rumors about Rugby 9s being considered for Brisbane 2032. Any articles you can link to so I can learn more?

Direct quote from wiki:

"In July 2021, International Rugby League (IRL) chair Troy Grant stated that pursuing rugby league for Queensland 2032 was a "priority" for the organisation, with a particular focus on rugby league nines for the Olympics and wheelchair rugby league for the Paralympics.[29] Queensland has a popular rugby league fanbase.[30"

Edited by Cinnamon Bun

9 minutes ago, Cinnamon Bun said:

Direct quote from wiki:

"In July 2021, International Rugby League (IRL) chair Troy Grant stated that pursuing rugby league for Queensland 2032 was a "priority" for the organisation, with a particular focus on rugby league nines for the Olympics and wheelchair rugby league for the Paralympics.[29] Queensland has a popular rugby league fanbase.[30"

Ah, it’s a federation effort. They’ll be joining a crowded field hopefuls.

Rugby League is governed by a different IF than rugby sevens, so it’s feasible both could be on the program, but that seems highly unlikely given the similarities between the pair, especially in consideration of logistical requirements.

Brisbane 2032 is still a ways out, but it’s tough to see 9s being added to the program at present (in my opinion).

Edited by Olympian1010

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

• 1 month later...

The quarterfinals are now set for the Canada Sevens held in Vancouver.

New Zealand, Australia and the United States could potentially qualify to the Olympics by the end of this event. New Zealand just needs to avoid Great Britain or Fiji finishing four points ahead of them while Australia/United States can qualify if they get nine more points than Great Britain and Fiji

• 4 weeks later...

United States and Australia qualify for the 2024 Olympics :yes:USA:AUS

Fight for that fourth and final quota between Ireland, Great Britain and Fiji is going to be exciting.

@JoshMartini007 maybe you can help provide a list of scenarios for each of the following (Ireland, Great Britain, Fiji) securing Olympic qualification? 

Edited by Josh

5 hours ago, Josh said:

@JoshMartini007 maybe you can help provide a list of scenarios for each of the following (Ireland, Great Britain, Fiji, Canada) securing Olympic qualification? 

Canada has been mathematically eliminated since the end of the last event. I'll give the scenarios at the end of this event. Realistically speaking, Fiji/Great Britain need to cut into Ireland's lead this tournament to have a chance. A semi-final appearance will help quite a bit, but so would a 5th place finish if Ireland finishes 8th again.