website statistics

Road Cycling Qualification to Summer Olympic Games Paris 2024 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

• 2 weeks later...

So what happens if we send Vas in both Road and MB? I think that's very likely now, she's doing the MB + Road combo at the Worlds where the time gap is far less between the MB and the Road race than in the Paris schedule. Does our Road or MB quota get reallocated? I can't find any rules for this. Sending the same athlete in two disciplines essentially reduces the overall cycling field if they don't reallocate one of her quotas. 

What I am not sure about is this: can a cyclist who takes a Road quota also show up for the MB race? Or the same in reverse. Technically we are winning two female athlete quotas in cycling (1 in Road, 1 in MB), but we are only sending one athlete if this crossing of disciplines is only allowed if the cyclist has to use up both the Road and the MB quotas. 

Edited by Vektor

6 hours ago, Vektor said:

So what happens if we send Vas in both Road and MB? I think that's very likely now, she's doing the MB + Road combo at the Worlds where the time gap is far less between the MB and the Road race than in the Paris schedule. Does our Road or MB quota get reallocated? I can't find any rules for this. Sending the same athlete in two disciplines essentially reduces the overall cycling field if they don't reallocate one of her quotas. 

What I am not sure about is this: can a cyclist who takes a Road quota also show up for the MB race? Or the same in reverse. Technically we are winning two female athlete quotas in cycling (1 in Road, 1 in MB), but we are only sending one athlete if this crossing of disciplines is only allowed if the cyclist has to use up both the Road and the MB quotas. 

There would be no reallocation of quotas unless the quota was to be rejected by your NOC - in which case Vas would only be able to enter 1 event.

The quotas are awarded to the NOC rather than specific athletes so how the quota is filled is largely an issue to be determined by the NOC. By having the same athlete compete in 2 disciplines, it wouldn't have any impact on the overall size of the field for either event, although it would help cycling to ensure it stayed within the overall number of athletes allocated by IOC.

According to the qualification document for Mountain Biking, providing you have earned a quota for mountain biking, there is no restriction on cyclists who are qualified from other disciplines taking part:

image.png

This same provision applies across all cycling disciplines with the exception of BMX Freestyle, which specifically prohibits cyclists from other disciplines taking part. 

• 2 weeks later...