website statistics
Canada National Thread
Posted
17 minutes ago, NearPup said:

(Also, as the resident Acadian/Quebecois hybrid on this forum, I gotta say - Canada is way overdue a French-Canadian flag bearer at this point, it's been 84 years there hasn't been one since Turin, Summer of Winter)

This is actually a really great point! I went through some of the events and some of the prominent French Canadians who compete in the Beijing zone relatively quickly (but not the day after) include... 

Max Parrot (he would be a fantastic choice after his recovery from lymphoma), Sebastian Toutant, and Laurent Dubreuil. I especially think the two snowboarders would be great choices. 

Canada National Thread
Posted
15 minutes ago, intoronto said:

Hi welcome to Totallympics? What is your prediction for how Canada will do overall ?

I think Hamelin is a sentimental favourite, but he does have the 1000 m the next day.

Thank you!! I've been a massive Olympic sports fan for a while so it's nice to find this community! 

Honestly, I'm keeping my expectations low for these Olympics, COVID has made things difficult and I think a lot of programs are in rebuilding mode after 2018. I'd personally be thrilled with 6 gold and around 20 medals overall. What are your predictions? 

That's a great point about Hamelin though, I hadn't even considered it. Such a shame, I'm a huge fan of his. 

I would also argue for Jones and Gushue as well. Arguably some of the greatest and most consistent curlers of all time nearing the twilight of their careers. 

Canada National Thread
Posted

Long time lurker who decided to jump into the convo here to say that I think Charles Hamelin deserves serious consideration for flag bearer... it's his 5th olympics, he's won 5 medals (including three gold) and he has a shot at becoming one of Canada's most decorated Olympians at these games! 

Also thanks so much to all the posters in this thread, you guys made the Tokyo Olympics 6 months ago super enjoyable!!