website statistics

Just realized that the :TUN tennis player has a basque surname :o

He's the 300 in the Olympic ranking, so he shouldnt have any problem in keeping the quota.

Angella :KEN has a WR of 532. Alhussein :EGY even worse. I dont see neither of them getting to the TOP400 in time for the games. The quota probably would be reallocated

The Spanish Federation has talked with ITF and they apparently said that there's no problem that Alcaraz hasn't meet the needed Davis Cup conditions and that he could still play the Olympics.

So I guess that high profile players like Iga wouldn't have problems either

US would only had 3 women in individual since Coco's withdrawall happend after closing the list. Her place went to the best placed only doubles player already in Japan, #137 ranked Renata Zarazúa from :MEX

Idk who replaces Coco in doubles, but considering Riske and Brady are there, I imagine one of them would play with Melichar.

7 minutes ago, Andry84 said:

There is sth wrong with qualification in tennis, the document says 84 players per gender. How many players are already qualified? I think much more than 84, there are too many only double players qualified..... 

According to wikipedia, there are at least 33 only double athletes in the men's category.

11 minutes ago, szy123 said:

What's wrong about that? I'm more surprised about Stefani/Pigossi as their rankings are looow

My bad, I though a country can only had 2 athletes in doubles. But is 6 in total so it doesn't mather cause :BRA doesn't have 4 singles.

So this is the team :ESP is apparently sending to the games:

7 athletes: 

3 Men's in single: Pablo Carreño, Pablo Andujar, Alejandro Davidovich

4 Women's in singles: Garbiñe Muguruza, Paula Badosa, Sara Sorribes, Carla Suárez

Carreño / Davidovich will play men's doubles, while Muguruza/Suárez & Badosa/Sorribes will play the women's singles.

The Federation is waiting if #97 men's seed Roberto Carballes can get a quota.

41 minutes ago, Nickyc707 said:

I'm pretty dubious about this. Unless you're a tennis fan I'm not sure that most people would necessarily notice that the sport was part of the Olympic programme given that sports like athletics, swimming and gymnastics tend to dominate coverage.

That depends on the country, here tennis is always going to be aired on TV before gymnastics.

#03 :ESP Rafa Nadal
#10 :ESP Roberto Bautista
#38 :ESP Albert Ramos
#64 :ESP Feliciano López
#69 :ESP Jaume Munar
#78 :ESP Carlos Alcaraz

Doubles #11 :ESP Marcel Granollers

All of them withdrawn from the games. What a shame, Pathetic for all of them.

Pablo Carreño, Alejandro Davidovich (they'll form a doubles pair) and Pablo Andujar would compete. And Roberto Carballés is expecting if he enters, cause he wants to play.

1 hour ago, Jan Linha said:

Well, already 3 Spanish players have withdrawn? Something's fishy here .....

And just waiting for the fourth one, cause :ESP Feliciano Lopez has the 4th place rigth now and he already withdrawn Rio2016 when he was a medal contender in doubles, so.....

9 hours ago, NMQ said:

So the qualification period ended today and this monday rankings will be used. Here's a tentative list i saw in Wikipedia, don’t know if one of you guys is behind it. I think there will be changes, it excludes some players due fed cup/davis cup nominations that I believe just were not selected at the time, like Karatsev I guess. Also other players will opt out, for example Federico Delbonis is included and he already said he won't go to Tokyo. I guess we'll have to wait a few days till confirmations from ITF.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tennis_at_the_2020_Summer_Olympics_–_Qualification

:ESP Carla Suarez Navarro is missing, she has PR of #68