website statistics
7 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

Yeah, their "free association" status with New Zealand will probably be a problem. Faroe Islands have struggled for recognition despite the support of nearby nations.  

True, but nobody recognizes the Faroe Islands as independent. The UN (and USA) technically recognizes Niue.

Re. Free association isn’t Niue basically the same like Palau/Marshall Islands/Micronesia except with no separate citizenship?

The United States has officially recognized :NIU Niue as a country.

Could they join the 2028 Olympics? They are already a member of five federations (Judo, Rugby, Table Tennis, Weightlifting, Wrestling). Niue and the Cook Islands are uniquely classified by the UN as “non-member states”.

But, all Niueans are New Zealand citizens.

30 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Lucerne's decision seems to be largely based on travel restrictions and the likes, which is just not in their hands at all.

Right, the criticism is more aimed at the government here. It's a very bad sign for the winter sports season in general.

27 minutes ago, dcro said:

Honestly, a variant that appears to have possibly come from HIV (?) seems rather dangerous. :p

Haha. It didn't come from HIV but it was able to mutate more because of the lack of immunity in people with HIV.

38 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

I don't think there have been any major postponements or even cancellations the past months, but the omicron variant is striking fear in the hearts of people who have to make decisions, so here we go again....

The variant actually appears to be less dangerous than existing ones, so not sure I understand the decision. Probably hysteria. https://www.reuters.com/world/africa/safrican-doctor-says-patients-with-omicron-variant-have-very-mild-symptoms-2021-11-28/

1 hour ago, heywoodu said:

Apparently Vatican City has roughly 30 female inhabitants. I wonder how many other nations have such a high percentage of their population being an athlete :d 

Yep and they have another woman (Sara Carnicelli) who was injured. So... 1/15th!

:VAT will take part in its first official international sporting event tomorrow. It is sending a team to the Athletics Championships of the Small States of Europe (taking place tomorrow in San Marino).

Papa Francesco incoraggia Athletica Vaticana a testimoniare la “cultura della fraternità” ai Campionati di atletica dei Piccoli Stati d’Europa (San Marino, 5 giugno) | Athletica Vaticana

Totallympics Summer Games 2020
Posted
8 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

Here’s a draft of the charter I came up with for the games:

1. Organization

1. TBD

2. Participation

1. Participants must be registered members (hereby known as “users”) of Totallympics.

2. A user must be an active member of the community in order to participate. An active member of the community is defined as a member who has participated in at least one discussion, or has participated in Totallympics sanctioned activities such as the Totallympics International Song Contest, or a Prediction Contest, within the past year. 

3. A user may be allowed special dispensation to participate in Totallympics Games if the community deems them eligible even if they do not fulfill the active user criteria; subject to the approval of the organizing committee.

4. Participating users shall be respectful of all participants and officials.

5. Participating users must be respectful when posting and discussing with other members on any of the Totallympics Games Thread.

6. Users must meet all of the necessary eligibility requirements. 

7. If foul play is detected with respect to 7 (a), (b), (c), (d), (e), or (f) at any stage before, during or after the competition, the organising committee reserves the right to place the participation or result of that nation under review. These rules are not designed to exclude, only to ensure the Totallympics Games retain a distinct character, built upon a unique community atmosphere created by users of the forum.

3. National Representation

1. Users may represent one nation, and are not allowed to change affiliation under any circumstances after entering the games.

2. A user may represent the nation of their birth, the nation they currently reside, the nation they are a citizen of, or the nation listed on their Totallympics profile.

3. Violation of rules 3.a or 3.b will result in the disqualification of the user, and a voiding of their results. The user may continue to participate in the events and festivities of the games, but will no longer be considered an official entry.

4. Event Program

1. To be on the program an event must use an application, software, program, or activity that is reasonably available to most users.

2. To be on the program an event must have at least 5 participants or more. In the event of a late withdrawal, an event may continue with 4 participants provided that all of the participants make the greatest possible effort to complete the event.

3. Events must be conducted with the highest degree of organization possible.

4. Failure of an event to meet criteria (a), (b), or (c) will lead to eviction from the program of the Totallympics Games.

5. Amendments to the Totallympics Games Charter

1. Amendments may be made to the Totallympics Games Charter.

2. Amendments will be proposed by either the organizing committee of the Totallympics Games, or participants of the Totallympics Games.

3. For an amendment to be approved, it must be passed by a simple majority vote of eligible voters. Eligible voters are defined as members of the organizing committee of the Totallympics Games, users who have participated in the Totallympics Games, users who are registered to compete in the Totallympics Games but have yet to compete, and moderators of Totallympics.

4. Amendments may be changed from their original text, or discarded if a simple majority of eligible voters approve such action in a vote. Rules originally in the Totallympics Games Charter may also be subjected to the above actions.

Looks good! I am in New Zealand until August so timezones might be hard, but we will cross that bridge

Posted
2 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

Okay, since there seems to be quite a lot of interest in this; please respond to the following questions.

Do you like the idea of a Totallympics Summer Games?

A) YES

B) NO

Would you participate in the Totallympics Summer Games if they were held?

A) YES

B) NO

What would you like to see included on the program for a Totallympics Summer Games?

- Answer on own 

YES

YES

I don’t have a console so not sure how I’d do Mario/Sonic but that’s a good idea overall :)

Posted
1 hour ago, Olympian1010 said:

Came across another possibility to add to the program. The eSailing game World Sailing uses for their Virtual World Cup is completely free download and play, and there’s the option for custom races in private lobbies. That’d be something worth checking out if people are interested in this idea.

That could work. I'm fine with whatever.

Totallympics Media
Posted
17 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Not one you’ve heard of :p. It’s a community college in Southern California.

Groovy. I wonder if Jeopardy's ever had a community college contestant?

I'm at George Washington in DC. 

Totallympics Media
Posted
8 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

A bit ambitious for our current state, but not a bad goal. I’ll keep that one in mind. I do love a good game of Jeopardy. Fully intend to audition for the college tournament next year.

Sure! Could be just a very low budget version to start with.I did the test this year :) What college are you at?

Totallympics Media
Posted
7 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

I we were to consider producing a international sports trivia contest, or other type of international sports based game, which of the following would be your preferred means of playing. 
1) Podcast style. We invite one user on a week, and they answer questions. 

2) Buzzfeed style quizzes on the website.

3) Knowledge quizzes on the website

4) Livestream of questions on YouTube, people can answer in the chat. Participation could be restricted to mostly Totallympics members, or anyone in the general public could play. Might be hard to chose a winner.

5) Twitter polls on our Twitter account. Winner given a shoutout (and maybe a prize somewhere down the line if possible).

6) Some other than a trivia game that could made into a podcast, or maybe a livestream

7) I wouldn’t play, so it doesn’t matter to me

You can choose as many of those options as you want, and you can talk about/ask questions about any of them. If you have an idea, we can talk about that too.

You could do a gameshow Jeopardy-style. Bring on contestants. Maybe even some athletes!

:SPM Saint Pierre and Miquelon/:BLM Saint Barthelemy have applied to CONCACAF and should be joining in September 2020. 

https://la1ere.francetvinfo.fr/saintpierremiquelon/grands-projets-venir-football-saint-pierre-miquelon-762795.html

https://www.facebook.com/CTFSBH/photos/a.172438856753746/401786647152298/?type=3&theater

I can't see any of the other territories doing anything anytime soon, lol

National Sports of Countries
Posted
1 hour ago, hckosice said:

Sport invented in the nation: there are some minor, but only one that somehow succeeded to gain some importance also abroad

football tennis (futnet) - Czechoslovakia

National sport:

Ice Hockey (CZE and SVK) followed by football

Most successful olympic sport of the country:

W Artistic Gymnastics - Czechoslovakia

Athletics & Shooting - Czech Republic

Canoeing Slalom - Slovakia

Sounds about right ^ 

I went to an English-speaking private school and there was great confusion as to what to call our nohejbal program.

1 minute ago, Olympian1010 said:

Right, but @heywoodu would agree with me that it’s not official until the complete an event officially. What I mean about being an observer here is that we could see a :AUS and :NZL situation like at the 2017 Asian Winter Games, where the athletes weren’t eligible for medals and thus didn’t officially participate. I think your right though, I think we’ll see them in the longer distances.

Fair enough! I’ll just base it off their full approval for 2021.

25 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

So I’m not sure if they’re so much competing as just there to witness this time and enter next time. I would leave them on the list until their athletes are counted in the official results. They are sending 4 distance runners, so there is the possibility that happens at these games. However, it almost sounds like a 100% done deal that we will see them in Oran in 2021 for the Mediterranean Games. I would imagine we may see them make their way to the 2023 European Games too. I’m glad that the Vatican has finally decided that it can field athletes.

That’s true, though I can’t see why they’d be left out of results if they were invited. The athletes will definitely compete. Plus they are going to be granted full ‘membership’ rights in 2021 apparently. That’s good enough for me honestly ;) 

3 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Wait what! It’s literally less than 2 days before the games. Glad to see them enter the fold, but it’s almost like they had divine intervention to get in this year. Do you have a link to the article or announcement? 

https://zenit.org/articles/athletica-vaticana-in-montenegro-for-games-of-small-states-of-europe/

Here’s the only article I could find in English. But they also posted it on Athletica Vaticana’s Facebook page!

2 minutes ago, Dragon said:

25th February 2019

"The UK should end its control of the Chagos Islands in the Indian Ocean "as rapidly as possible", the UN's highest court has said.

Mauritius claims it was forced to give up the islands - now a British overseas territory - in 1965 in exchange for independence, which it gained in 1968.

The International Court of Justice said the islands were not lawfully separated from the former colony of Mauritius."

Yeah- so either Britain will be stubborn or Mauritius will get it. I hope the latter! Of course we’ll never see a ‘BIOT’ team. It’s a shame such an awesome flag had to be for such a disgraceful territory.

And no idea about the flag you posted btw

@Olympian1010 @intoronto Reason it came to mind was I did know a guy from Ascension who told me he was looking into Ascension applying to the Island Games- apparently athletes there used to be considered for St Helena back when Ascension was its dependency (St Helena and Dependencies, it was), but nowadays that seems to have stopped. So that's why I thought it was appropriate to put Ascension and Tristan there, considering the ISO reservation, political status and location as well. Do you think I should remove them?