website statistics

Athletics EAA European Championships 2018

Agger

3 minutes ago, Werloc said:

Oh, I didn't know there was one :p Okay then, something less recent than this one :d I'd assume it's pretty tough breaking records in Germany.

Or did you mean the oldest German NR? That probably dates back to the unholy deceased DDR :whistle:

It's safe to say Marlies Gohr, Marita Koch and Heike Drechsler will keep their records for a while yet :raspberry:

5 minutes ago, Werloc said:

Oh, I didn't know there was one :p Okay then, something less recent than this one :d I'd assume it's pretty tough breaking records in Germany.

Konstanze Klosterhalfen broke the women's 3000m record last August in Birmingham.

Ok - it's not a championship event but it is an official German record

26 minutes ago, OlympicsFan said:

No, Thompson for sure is an expert, but i think he just got emotional (like i did after Schwanitz lost the gold) because he saw an athlete from his country losing a medal and thought "All the other guys are much faster, why cant you run any faster" and he certainly had his own PB of 4:20 in mind. I would say you will have a hard time to find a normal person who is able to run sub 5:00 for the 1500 m.

BBC experts are the worst when it comes to cheering for UK athletes so Thompson's comments are actually not what you'd expect from them. Just wait until they hype KJT like she had a solid shot for gold vs Thiam :lol:   Besides, we're not talking normal people here. Steve Backley also said about Duckworth that you can't have 9 good events at this level hence they really understand how bad his 1500m time is. There's just no way to defend it.

25 minutes ago, OlympicsFan said:

Of course i dont care whether she breaks a polish record ... lets be honest, you wouldnt care either if someone broke a german record?

I am sure it would be special for her to break such an old record that is probably from the time where there were no serious doping controls.

About Schwanitz performances today: We shouldnt forget that Schwanitz was involved in a car crash only 1 day after the german championships 3 weeks ago and injured her finger, so this might have played a role in her poor performance today.

You sounded as if you thought that polish athletics is in a better state than german athletics, so i had the feeling that all of those things werent obvious to you, but of course you are right, its only normal for Germany to be better than Poland in sports. Of course that doesnt stop Germany from being a complete disaster in fencing and swimming, so i guess as a german fan you have to be glad that german athletics is in a much better state.

I'd care if we're talking about Gohr, Koch or Drechsler records! :evil:  

Our women's shot put record is from June 1976, second oldest is Irena Szewinska's old 400m World Record from Montreal OG and that will probably stand for the next 40 years :p  Our SP record holder says she's got a special bottle of champagne ready when Guba finally beats the record (she's 20 cm short atm).

I don't care about fencing and swimming, these sports are rather boring though we've had success in both.

But we probably have a better shot at winning the overall medal table than Germany here :cool: 

22 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

Or did you mean the oldest German NR? That probably dates back to the unholy deceased DDR :whistle:

It's safe to say Marlies Gohr, Marita Koch and Heike Drechsler will keep their records for a while yet :raspberry:

Nah, you answered my question correctly. I was wondering what was the most recent record, it's just that

1) I did not expect it to be that recent

2) I wanted to facepalm myself, because I remembered watching the video of that throw, but my mind erased it as a broken record :d

Generally, I thought that perhaps the most recent broken record would be something a bit less obvious, but every single German record is probably a qualification mark to any championship :d Here in Lithuania we still have some records that are childs play and we have like 6-7 athletes that are actively breaking NR's as their PB's and a lot of athletes that are very close to breaking NR's.

Edited by Werloc

7 minutes ago, Werloc said:

Nah, you answered my question correctly. I was wondering what was the most recent record, it's just that

1) I did not expect it to be that recent

2) I wanted to facepalm myself, because I remembered watching the video of that throw, but my mind erased it as a broken record :d

Generally, I thought that perhaps the most recent broken record would be something a bit less obvious, but every single German record is probably a qualification mark to any championship :d Here in Lithuania we still have some records that are childs play and we have like 6-7 athletes that are actively breaking NR's as their PB's and a lot of athletes that are very close to breaking NR's.

Does Lithuania honor the USSR period records?

vor 39 Minuten schrieb Werloc:

Gesa Krause in 3000 Metres Steeplechase (though of course it's a comparatively new discipline). It was at the ISTAF in 2017 and is even more recent than Vetter's and Klosterhalfen's records.

7 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

Does Lithuania honor the USSR period records?

Yes, our oldest record on the women's field is back from 1983, Ana Ambrazienė with 54.02 in women's 400m. Hurdles and only 11 days later it's the record (3:27.54) in 4x400m relay.

On the men's field, it's back 1969, Vladimiras Dudinas ran the 3000m. Steeplechase in 8:22.2

Although, we have some insane records that I think will never be broken, like Galina Murašova with 72.14 in women's discus. 20.27 by Danguolė Bimbaitė in shot put seems pretty unreachable too.

As for the men's, Benjaminas Viluckis looks scary in hammer throw with 82.24 (I don't know when was the last time we threw a hammer at least 70m, it's pretty much a joke discipline in Lithuania nowadays). Also, everyone is speculating if Gudžius is talented enough to go after 73.88 set by Alekna back in 2000.