website statistics

Karate Qualification to Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympic Games

George_D

Just now, prso1000 said:

Do you know what Aktas needs at the ECH to overtake Poursheib? A medal or? Probably less is sufficient. 
actually Croatia could cancel the event last second :lol:

or sending him the ticket and arrange a 5 star hotel for him :d, in case he doesn't want to participate. 

by my count he needs 5th place finish or better. but the number of points also depends on the number of participating athletes. (more than 32 in each weight will add one more round = 60 extra points)

they award points based on the number of wins + position in the final ranking. so for example you can get different amount of points for a 5th place finish. (depends on how many wins you get before reaching that) in some situations even a 7th place finish will do for him. he is down 262.5pts but for sure he has to at least advance to the repechage . if he loses to someone and the guy doesn't make it to the final. that will be the end for Ganjzadeh (Kvesic still will have another chance in France)

a 5th place finish looks easy for Aktas on paper but this is Karate, you can lose to anybody.

10 minutes ago, MHSN said:

or sending him the ticket and arrange a 5 star hotel for him :d, in case he doesn't want to participate. 

by my count he needs 5th place finish or better. but the number of points also depends on the number of participating athletes. (more than 32 in each weight will add one more round = 60 extra points)

they award points based on the number of wins + position in the final ranking. so for example you can get different amount of points for a 5th place finish. (depends on how many wins you get before reaching that) in some situations even a 7th place finish will do for him. he is down 262.5pts but for sure he has to at least advance to the repechage . if he loses to someone and the guy doesn't make it to the final. that will be the end for Ganjzadeh (Kvesic still will have another chance in France)

a 5th place finish looks easy for Aktas on paper but this is Karate, you can lose to anybody.

I think he will be motivated enough, poursheib is currently in a very good shape a probably gold favorite in Tokio, definitely bigger threat for Aktas than Kvesic and the other Iranian 

21 hours ago, MHSN said:

at the end of the second day in Portugal. only two more athletes are qualified for Tokyo

both in women's 61kg

:TUR Merva Coban

:SRB Jovana Prekovic

for other quotas we have to wait till the end of the European Championships

======================================

here is the full list of qualified athletes

Men

Kata:    :ESP:TUR:VEN:ITA

67kg:   :KAZ:FRA:EGY:ITA

75kg:   :IRI:ITA:AZE:UKR

+75kg: :TUR:IRI

* quota is guaranteed for Iran at +75kg, we just don't know who

Women

Kata:    :ESP:ITA:HKG:USA

55kg:   :TUR:UKR:IRI

61kg:   :CHN:EGY:TUR:SRB

+61kg: :AZE:IRI

What about continental quota? Who will fill that ?

2 hours ago, Illya said:

What about continental quota? Who will fill that ?

in Europe, among the women, :ITA Semeraro or :AUT Plank...

currently the Austrian has the edge (she's 7th in her category and 50kg are easier than -68kg, where Semeraro is 8th and she can't be better than 6th by my calculation, if not even only 7th...even by winning the European Champs)...

but I fear it also depends on who qualify in the other continents...

it's still early to say, it's a very complicated puzzle to be completed...

among the men, if he doesn't qualify by ranking, :CRO Ivan Kvesic is clearly the best among the eligible athletes, then, if he does qualify through the OQR, it's a quiestion between :LAT Kalnins and :AZE Gurbanli...

but once again, we need to wait and see who get the spots in the other continents, because Europe is the last to make their calls...

2 hours ago, prso1000 said:

I think he will be motivated enough, poursheib is currently in a very good shape a probably gold favorite in Tokio, definitely bigger threat for Aktas than Kvesic and the other Iranian 

Most karateka participate everywhere possible. so unless he is injured or COVID positive I highly doubt he doesn't participate in Croatia. and I think in general an European Championship medal matters more than a K1 League medal. (if he participated here, he will go to Croatia too) European Champs is simply important no matter who qualifies for the Olympics.

but as someone who follows both of these guys, Poursheib and Ganjzadeh are more or less in the same level. they both win gold in several K1 events and lost in some of them. it happens in Karate, small details matter. actually I slightly prefer Ganjzadeh so I will cheer for Aktas :d but well Aktas had faced both of them million times, he knows both of them much better.

59 minutes ago, Makedonas said:

Ugh, Chatziliadou absolutely must qualify. She was so unlucky to miss many events with injuries and fall in the rankings because of that :cry:

she still has the final tournament in Paris...even if it's gonna be a very crowded event with many talented girls aiming for the very few spots...

3 hours ago, phelps said:

in Europe, among the women, :ITA Semeraro or :AUT Plank...

currently the Austrian has the edge (she's 7th in her category and 50kg are easier than -68kg, where Semeraro is 8th and she can't be better than 6th by my calculation, if not even only 7th...even by winning the European Champs)...

but I fear it also depends on who qualify in the other continents...

it's still early to say, it's a very complicated puzzle to be completed...

among the men, if he doesn't qualify by ranking, :CRO Ivan Kvesic is clearly the best among the eligible athletes, then, if he does qualify through the OQR, it's a quiestion between :LAT Kalnins and :AZE Gurbanli...

but once again, we need to wait and see who get the spots in the other continents, because Europe is the last to make their calls...

I'm sure you know this but for the rest who probably doesn't they will award the continental quotas only after the last chance qualifier. some of these guys may qualify directly and that will change everything. it's like a domino, one change will change everything because of the limitation we have on the number of qualified athletes in each weight. (which is 2)

but I think Kvesic is almost safe. only Asia may qualify someone before him at +75kg. but yes nothing is guaranteed if Thomas Scott from USA qualifies directly that American quota will go to Brian Irr and that will change everything. kind of weird, you can qualify based on results of someone else from another country in another weight ! :hairpull::lol:

btw before COVID, WKF was very quick with updating its ranking. I think maybe only 5 or 10 minutes after the competition. not this time :thumbdown:

6 minutes ago, MHSN said:

I'm sure you know this but for the rest who probably doesn't they will award the continental quotas only after the last chance qualifier. some of these guys may qualify directly and that will change everything. it's like a domino, one change will change everything because of the limitation we have on the number of qualified athletes in each weight. (which is 2)

but I think Kvesic is almost safe. only Asia may qualify someone before him at +75kg. but yes nothing is guaranteed if Thomas Scott from USA qualifies directly that American quota will go to Brian Irr and that will change everything. kind of weird, you can qualify based on results of someone else from another country in another weight ! :hairpull::lol:

btw before COVID, WKF was very quick with updating its ranking. I think maybe only 5 or 10 minutes after the competition. not this time :thumbdown:

Do all continents use the own games as criteria, e.g Asian games, etc