website statistics

Fencing Qualification to Summer Olympic Games Paris 2024 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

1 hour ago, Makedonas said:

Yes but in those sports there is always only 1 athlete per NOC, whereas in fencing you can either have 1 or have 3, but you can't have 2. So it's not the same situation.

Yeah, the only comparisons would be in archery and dressage/jumping equestrian.

All these complaints but what if next time Italy/France etc. fails to qualify a team and the 2nd Italian/French fencer takes the spot from the 1st Greek or similar...in the above mentioned case for Rio 2016, a Swiss won the European QT, if the 2nd Italian, Navarria, had been allowed to take part there's a good chance she would have taken the spot. i bet that then that fencer would complain that the system hurts smaller fencing nations.

Fencers and NFs knew that similar cases of top fencers missing the Games have happened and could have happened again, but noone in the last years made a reasonable proposal to change the qualification system- the only one that gained some support by other smaller countries was Sweden with their idiotic proposal of limiting team competition to 4 teams and individual competition to 1 fencer per NOC (and even the IOC said that proposal was shitty). In that case, a lot more of cases like the one of Georgiadou would happen. A small curiosity: the FIE Interim President and head of the working group in charge of proposing changes to the Olympic qualification system is Greek.

5 hours ago, Faramir said:

All these complaints but what if next time Italy/France etc. fails to qualify a team and the 2nd Italian/French fencer takes the spot from the 1st Greek or similar...in the above mentioned case for Rio 2016, a Swiss won the European QT, if the 2nd Italian, Navarria, had been allowed to take part there's a good chance she would have taken the spot. i bet that then that fencer would complain that the system hurts smaller fencing nations.

Fencers and NFs knew that similar cases of top fencers missing the Games have happened and could have happened again, but noone in the last years made a reasonable proposal to change the qualification system- the only one that gained some support by other smaller countries was Sweden with their idiotic proposal of limiting team competition to 4 teams and individual competition to 1 fencer per NOC (and even the IOC said that proposal was shitty). In that case, a lot more of cases like the one of Georgiadou would happen. A small curiosity: the FIE Interim President and head of the working group in charge of proposing changes to the Olympic qualification system is Greek.

yeah... the main issue now for fencing, I guess, is to allow officially 4 fencers per team as they had during the rotation system - glad it's over, obviously.

Based on Tokyo results, the 4th athlete CAN in fact join the team, but somehow they are not treated officially as Olympians as I understand (I'm not entirely sure on that!).

We could obviously envision one competition with 48 athletes on the draw, but not sure how that's realistic. 

13 hours ago, Pasolini said:

Based on Tokyo results, the 4th athlete CAN in fact join the team, but somehow they are not treated officially as Olympians as I understand (I'm not entirely sure on that!).

They can enter in the team event but from that moment the replaced athlete cannot fence anymore.

They are "Ap athletes" who are not counted as Olympians, a trick used by the IOC in many sports to mantain the facade of respecting the limit of 10500 total athletes. If I remember correctly they are not entitled to free accomodation in the Olympic village, probably NOCs pay for them or  something like that.

2 hours ago, Faramir said:

They can enter in the team event but from that moment the replaced athlete cannot fence anymore.

They are "Ap athletes" who are not counted as Olympians, a trick used by the IOC in many sports to mantain the facade of respecting the limit of 10500 total athletes. If I remember correctly they are not entitled to free accomodation in the Olympic village, probably NOCs pay for them or  something like that.

yeah and officially they were not supposed to be a part of the team, unless they were officially changed before... at list in Tokyo was like that! but some countries competed with 4 athletes, so i don't know much hahaha

• 4 weeks later...

:POL foil teams for Paris are officialy announced:

Women's

Julia Walczyk-Klimaszyk
Hanna Łyczbińska 

Martyna Jelińska 
Martyna Synoradzka (reserved)

Men's

Jan Jurkiewicz
Adrian Wojtkowiak
Michał Siess
Andrzej Rządkowski/Leszek Rajski (reserved - yet to be selected of one of those two)

Full women's epee team should be announced tomorrow. For now only Renata Knapik-Miazga and Alicja Klasik are sure to be selected as medalists of recent national championships.

21 hours ago, rybak said:

:POL foil teams for Paris are officialy announced:

Women's

Julia Walczyk-Klimaszyk
Hanna Łyczbińska 

Martyna Jelińska 
Martyna Synoradzka (reserved)

Men's

Jan Jurkiewicz
Adrian Wojtkowiak
Michał Siess
Andrzej Rządkowski/Leszek Rajski (reserved - yet to be selected of one of those two)

Full women's epee team should be announced tomorrow. For now only Renata Knapik-Miazga and Alicja Klasik are sure to be selected as medalists of recent national championships.

Martyna Swatowska-Wenglarczyk joined to Renata Knapik-Miazga and Alicja Klasik for women's epee team, in later date (like in men's foil team) reserved fencer will be choosen, but it will be one of Aleksandra Jarecka and Ewa Trzebińska.

4 minutes ago, rybak said:

Martyna Swatowska-Wenglarczyk joined to Renata Knapik-Miazga and Alicja Klasik for women's epee team, in later date (like in men's foil team) reserved fencer will be choosen, but it will be one of Aleksandra Jarecka and Ewa Trzebińska.

For me it isn't good decision as among reservers is one of gold medalist in latest world championships (Ewa Trzebińska), while another one wasn't even under consideration, I mean here about Magdalena Pawłowska :dunno: