website statistics

Totallympics Annual International Song Contest 2020

Behind the Checkers: Gorski Kotar

ML2et0L.png4iSNEXJ.png

Gorski Kotar is another mountainous region of Croatia, although a smaller one.

Just 30-45 minutes drive away from downtown Rijeka, Gorski Kotar is an ideal spot for a spontaneous escape to nature.

Delnice is the main town of the region.

f7fnUPb.jpg

Delnice is also a home to the one and only ski jumping hill in Croatia... If you can call it that. :p

ZPZRMLb.jpg

Some other highlights of the Gorski Kotar region include the Kamačnik canyon.

PO6oES1.jpg

Zeleni Vir waterall.

nFbm13A.jpg

And finally the Platak Ski Resort, with its views over the Adriatic Sea.

victq8M.jpg

#banbestmen

Behind the Checkers: Istria

24lSUWH.pngcE8ysAN.png

We are getting really close to our host town Rijeka now. Next up is Istria.

Istria is the largest peninsula of the Adriatic Sea. It is the most Italian-influenced part of Croatia.

Some of the Istrian points of interest include: the Pula Arena.

Constructed between 27 BC and 68 AD, it is now the sixth largest surviving Roman arena anywhere.

3BMbb3j.jpg

X3B2HOf.jpg

Croatia is the birthplace of neckties. Back in 2003, the Pula Arena was dressed into one.

0GU8E7J.jpg

Town of Rovinj is known for its old town, which is seemingly placed on a perfectly symmetrical hill.

ku8Y8Lf.jpg

Motovun is a quintessential hilltop town of Istria. Every summer it hosts a renowned film festival.

fxQQ9Ld.jpg

Istria is generally known for its fresco paintings. Pictured below is Danse Macabre from Beram.

lMIpF77.jpg

Brijuni Islands can be found just off the coast of Istria. They used to be a summer residence of the Yugoslav leader Josip Broz Tito.

It is a place where Tito stored his gifts, which resulted in Brijuni turning into a very weird place today. :p

p0bDZWu.jpg

One of those gifts is Lanka the elephant. Imported in 1972, she was (and still is!) Indira Gandhi's gift to Tito.

UOrFUMy.jpg

#banbestmen

0GnPa0b.png

A wise man once said: "Keep you friends close and your enemies closer."

Someone that every aspiring TISC participant needs to keep close is the Committee. While they are known for their excellence in recognizing the winning material, the inner workings of the Committee remain shrouded in mystery.

All we know is that Italy currently rules this secret society.

It is time to visit one of Istria's estates and maybe dedicate a song to the Committee!

Rumor has it this is how @Agger and @heywoodu got removed from their Committee duties during the 2018 Jubilee...

Spoiler

uMs9DOp.jpg

*Disclaimer: We are not asking for trouble. Any mention of the Committee is met with purest intentions.

#banbestmen

Rovinj - there was a Red Bull Air Race here I believe. I recognize the town from something at least. Also, I love to know more about the Ski Jumping hill after the ceremony @dcro. I love cool venues like that. 

Croatia reminds me a lot of the coastal parts of the Western United States. There’s quite a bit of similar scenery. Croatia has some deeper colors though. I really want to visit now.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Behind the Checkers: Kvarner Bay

pUpVogJ.pngxtNIT9w.png

It is time for one last stop before we reach Rijeka. Let's take a look at the islands of the Kvarner Bay.

For starters, we have the Lošinj island.

It is a rather long and thin, but also a high island. Pictured below is the view of the island from its highest point Osorščica (588 m).

jB3N4qX.jpg

Lošinj has been a regular host of the MTB Downhill World Cup for several seasons now.

We do miss sport competitions here on Totallympics...

Town of Rab on the island of the same name is known for its tiny old town.

bjwiqxu.jpg

Having already visited the island of Krk during the team presentations, tonight we will only take a look at the Moon Trail near Baška.

Gotta find out why they are called the Moonwalkers anyway.

And there it is... In the distance, behind the Krk Bridge, we can see the lights of our host town calling us!

3PbGpZp.jpg

#banbestmen

10 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Croatia reminds me a lot of the coastal parts of the Western United States. There’s quite a bit of similar scenery. Croatia has some deeper colors though. I really want to visit now.

I thought it generally looks similar to California too, which I wish to visit one day. :d

#banbestmen

Behind the Checkers: Rijeka

M9x1mi5.png

With its name literally meaning "River", Rijeka is the third largest city in Croatia and the host of the TAISC 2020.

Pictured below is the main street, Korzo, with its Clock Tower.

gXA82iE.jpg

Rijeka is the main shipping port of the country.

34SCMgG.jpg

Here you can find one of the five preserved lifejackets from RMS Titanic, the only one in Europe.

RMS Carpathia, the ship that came to rescue surviving passengers from the Titanic, was at the time travelling from New York to Rijeka.

WCeaEy4.jpg

And here is the Trsat Castle once again. It is the oldest part of Rijeka.

It will host the Closing Ceremony.

P1ISjLn.jpg

#banbestmen

4 minutes ago, dcro said:

I thought it generally looks similar to California too, which I wish to visit one day. :d

Somewhat. There are parts of Northern California that look very similar, and maybe some of the Central East mountain parts, but not too much in common with the South outside of the LA Basin. The LA Basin climate is called Mediterranean, but it’s not that similar in my opinion. Croatia actually reminds me more of Coastal California, Oregon, and B.C.; which are all wonderful places which everyone should visit if they get the chance.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela