website statistics

Wrestling UWW European Championships 2021

Totallympics

Entries for the European Championships

https://uww.org/article/wrestlewarsaw-european-cship-entries

lots of big names here, some already qualified wrestlers but I think most of those who want to wrestle in Sofia and give themselves a realistic chance to qualify ( and cut a good amount of weight) preferred to stay home and prepare for the last chance tournament.

interesting team from Russia, except Naifonov, none of their possible Olympic team athletes are wrestling here in the freestyle competition :mumble:this confirms that Uguev, Rashidov, Sidakov and Sadulaev don't need to prove themselves anymore and most probably will go to Tokyo

37 minutes ago, MHSN said:

Entries for the European Championships

https://uww.org/article/wrestlewarsaw-european-cship-entries

lots of big names here, some already qualified wrestlers but I think most of those who want to wrestle in Sofia and give themselves a realistic chance to qualify ( and cut a good amount of weight) preferred to stay home and prepare for the last chance tournament.

interesting team from Russia, except Naifonov, none of their possible Olympic team athletes are wrestling here in the freestyle competition :mumble:this confirms that Uguev, Rashidov, Sidakov and Sadulaev don't need to prove themselves anymore and most probably will go to Tokyo

Is Sadulaev still making everyone else look like a human ragdoll? :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Unsurprisingly we are sending the B teams for the men. Only the two russians Magamaev and Bataev from the ones that will compete in the final qualifier are on the start lists. The women on the other hand have all the best going. Guess they fancy the Euro, as good preparation and won't be too tired unlike the men. 

brackets are out for the whole freestyle competition

interesting note, Geno Petriashvili and Taha Akgul will wrestle right in the first round :facepalm::wall:

also Tsabolov has his debut for Serbia here. 74kg will be very interesting with him, Zhamalov and Chamizo.

the first day wasn't really "great" , most matches were boring. specially in the semifinal.

still some interesting matches, Karadeniz comeback against Odikadze, Gulaev beating Kentchadze (therefore eliminating Russia in that weight)

Radoslaw Baran of Poland also did great against the Russian nationals winner Zhabrailov (who is suppose to become the next big thing) and was leading 3-1 until the last 10 seconds but then ... :wacko:

but after all Russia will have 4 in the final

57: :RUS Mongush vs :TUR Atli

65: :RUS Shakhiev vs :POL Bienkowski

70: :RUS Kasumov vs :AZE Bayramov

79: :SVK Gulaev vs :FRA Alekma

97: :RUS Zhabrailov vs :TUR Karadeniz

6 minutes ago, Adriano said:

I hope that Baran will qualify for Tokyo.. It will be better than final in Warsaw.... 

I believe he is one of the favorites, top 3 probably alongside Saritov and whoever Ukraine sends (only if they send someone better), two European wrestlers will qualify most probably in this weight. it will be between Poland, Romania, Ukraine, Bulgaria, Italy, maybe Germany

I was surprised by his poor performance in Hungary, he couldn't penetrate that German guy's defense (maybe just a bad matchup) he was much better today, I mean some people in Russia expect that Zhabrailov guy to challenge Sadulaev. but I'm not sure wrestling here 2-3 weeks before the last chance qualifier was a good idea. this is not Tennis or Badminton where you can participate weekly, you need enough rest between competitions specially if you cut weight (I assume Baran doesn't)