website statistics

Skeleton at the 2018 Winter Olympic Games

George_D

6 minutes ago, dcro said:

Then you are ignoring the facts... :p Their doubles haven't been bad at different track in the recent times, and apart from them it's just the German that achieved the unusual result...

Most importantly, everyone here has to acknowledge a fact that Yun wouldn't have won a gold medal if these Olympics have been held anywhere else. He is not really an athlete who already had a good career and the home Olympics came as a bonus. No, he was created for the home Olympics. Fact.

That was my point, I know he is talented and deserves the gold for sure. but I mean why Korea couldn't create someone like him in Alpine or CC or Biathlon or even Ski Jumping. I'm sure they tried them too but eventually forced to buy foreign athletes to be at least a bit competitive.

5 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Of course, but I meant at this moment he is the best anyway and would likely have won on most tracks. 

But then again, that doesn't mean much as he from what I remember didn't even hear about skeleton before Pyeongchang was awarded the Games... For me it just shows everything wrong with skeleton being too easy to advance and modern Olympics in general.

Edited by dcro

#banbestmen

Just now, dcro said:

But then again, that doesn't mean much as he from what I remember didn't even hear about skeleton before Pyeongchang was awarded the Games... For me it just shows everything wrong with skeleton being too easy to advance and modern Olympics in general.

I'd suggest not watching the next couple of years then.....Geng incoming :d 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

vor 14 Minuten schrieb dcro:

Then you are ignoring the facts... :p Their doubles haven't been bad at different track in the recent times, and apart from them it's just the German that achieved the unusual result...

Most importantly, everyone here has to acknowledge a fact that Yun wouldn't have won a gold medal if these Olympics have been held anywhere else. He is not really an athlete who already had a good career and the home Olympics came as a bonus. No, he was created for the home Olympics. Fact.

I don't think you can call it a fact ...

If the olympics would have been held in north korea, south korea probably also would have "created" him.

Of course giving the olympics to north korea might seem a bit unlikely, but with IOC you never know. South Korea is very good in shorttrack, so they might have thought about giving the olympics to north korea to advance the sport of shorttrack there and to make it a more diverse sport.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

btw i can name at least 10 summer sports where athletes use very much the home advantage and the refereeing advantage which's much more worse :- 

1. Boxing ofc comes at 1st place 

2. all other fighting sports except fencing maybe we can include sabre events here , Wrestling comes 2nd after boxing 

3. Gymnastics 

4. Diving 

5. Handball comes at 1st place when it's related to making use of home crowd in team sports 

6. Synchronized Swimming 

7. Waterpolo 

8. Athletics ofc hasn't relation to bad officiating which can happen also , but it's very rare , but ofc. athletes do benefit much from home advantage 

9. Track Cycling : home advantage as well 

10. Team Sports : home advantage as well 

and many others so if every olympic games we consider home winners in these sports don't deserve their medals , then many great athletes are going to be misjudged IMO  

vor 7 Minuten schrieb MHSN:

That was my point, I know he is talented and deserves the gold for sure. but I mean why Korea couldn't create someone like him in Alpine or CC or Biathlon or even Ski Jumping. I'm sure they tried them too but eventually forced to buy foreign athletes to be at least a bit competitive.

I think we all agree that in skeleton/bob/luge the material and experience on a certain track is much more important than in other sports. I think that Germany, despite probably having a technical advantage, winning 8 out of 11 golds at the last 3 olympics deserves some credit. In bob and skeleton the home athletes were much more successful.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

27 minutes ago, thepharoah said:

btw i can name at least 10 summer sports where athletes use very much the home advantage and the refereeing advantage which's much more worse :- 

8. Athletics ofc hasn't relation to bad officiating which can happen also , but it's very rare , but ofc. athletes do benefit much from home advantage 

9. Track Cycling : home advantage as well 

10. Team Sports : home advantage as well 

and many others so if every olympic games we consider home winners in these sports don't deserve their medals , then many great athletes are going to be misjudged IMO  

Especially those are entirely different of course. There's a major difference between being able to dig a tiny bit deeper (and having more financial support in the run-up) thanks to home crowd, than having a million runs down a track where others simply can't do that. 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!