website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Politics Thread

Wanderer

6 hours ago, Monzanator said:

And I'm sure lipstick & bikinis wouldn't fly in places like Yemen or Saudi Arabia but nobody calls this xenophobia :rolleyes:

Ottoman Empire has tried to conquer Europe but thankfully failed in their plans.

Yeah. Other countries being bad doesn't mean that we should as well.

By the way, back in the old days

Jews fled to the Ottoman Empire (since you somehow thought you should bring them up)

43 minutes ago, Agger said:

Which is why I don't think a headscarf or for example wearing a cross should be banned or anything. 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

3 hours ago, Griff88 said:

Classic stuff. When niqab or burqa is going to be banned for security measures, some will against it with the views of "hey, a secular state shouldn't interfere in religious stuff". But they often ignore the fact of non-religious face coverings which are also banned together too. 

they think that women burqa are terrorists while all the people who committed attacks were dressed with modern clothes :lol:

2 minutes ago, bestmen said:

they think that women burqa are terrorists while all the people who committed attacks were dressed with modern clothes :lol:

They mostly think it's a safety concern when one's complete face is invisible. There's something like being obligated to identify oneself when required, for example.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Africans are a bunch of monkeys and cannibals who don't even know how to wear shoes properly.

Spoiler

That is, according to one California governor, a certain Ronald Reagan.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2019/07/ronald-reagans-racist-conversation-richard-nixon/595102/

11 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Africans are a bunch of monkeys and cannibals who don't even know how to wear shoes properly.

Reveal hidden contents

Yeah that was like our last true Republican governor. We decided we weren’t about that after him.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

7 hours ago, Agger said:

By the way, back in the old days

Jews fled to the Ottoman Empire (since you somehow thought you should bring them up)

If Ottoman Empire conquered Europe, we'd have a Muslim continent to deal with for sure. That didn't happen.

If Middle East countries refuse to accept otherwise liberal European culture why should Europe tolerate the very strict Muslim culture? It doesn't make any sense.

On 31/07/2019 at 20:48, Olympian1010 said:

Well this election will feature race no matter what. The US will always have race issues until people like Trump seize to exist or reparations are given.

This race thing is equally useless as the Rooney Rule in the NFL. You should elect the best person for the job and not someone who has a trendy skin color. If your politics only comes down to race it's a really sign how useless this is. Though I can imagine religion will also be a part of this, no Catholics, Jews or Muslims because they would offend too many people.

The real race for Dems nomination won't start until the fall. Right now there are way too many candidates who are fighting against each other and giving Trump tremendous leeway. I think that's what helps this trend of re-elections of current presidents, the other party is too busy with a ton of useless candidates instead of focusing on the other guy in White House. Two years out you should have a firm candidate who would challenge Trump and instead it's a run of the mill string of mayors, governors and whomever else. This is where flaws of the democracy are at their peak. Trump has nothing to be worried about until Dems finally choose someone to challenge him.

6 hours ago, Monzanator said:

If Ottoman Empire conquered Europe, we'd have a Muslim continent to deal with for sure. That didn't happen.

If Middle East countries refuse to accept otherwise liberal European culture why should Europe tolerate the very strict Muslim culture? It doesn't make any sense.

Albania, Kosovo, and Bosnia would like to disagree about the Ottoman part. (I’m a little rusty on my Balkan history, but I believe parts of Bulgaria were under Ottoman rule, or at least influence, too). In all fairness the Ottoman Empire and classic Islam were much more tolerant of Christians than Christians were of them. Western Colonization and the World Wars changed the Middle East for the worse. Europeans allowed for extremism to grow in the Middle East. I’d say their reactions to the west are fair in many ways actually.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

21 hours ago, Monzanator said:

And I'm sure lipstick & bikinis wouldn't fly in places like Yemen or Saudi Arabia but nobody calls this xenophobia :rolleyes:

Ottoman Empire has tried to conquer Europe but thankfully failed in their plans.

It used too actually and @MHSN can back me up here. The Middle East was very different before 1915 and after 1960.