website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Politics Thread

Wanderer

2 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

I don’t know where you come from in Ukraine, but imagine if the US government had told your family that. Your life may be very, very different at this moment in time had the US not welcomed you. I’ve been around the country, and I can tell you that it is in fact not full. 

US welcomed me legally.   By first coming here on a student Visa.   Finishing that.  Then getting work visa.  Then getting a green card.  Then a citizenship.  I didnt hop the fence.  I didnt overstayed my welcome.  I followed the legal channels and after many years got my citizenship.    Whoever wants to is more then welcome to follow the same rules.  Not cut corners.   

@Monzanator The first and most basic skill your learn in communications is listening. You can’t learn anything if you don’t listen. So when people need someone to talk to I’m always there. I know the comings and goings of any organization I’m a part. I take what I learn about people, and think about it critically and often. I spend weeks coming up with real solutions to a problem. That is how the world should operate. It’s like in the Rio opening ceremony when they tell us to look for similarities, but embrace diversity. Just tonight arguing with Maxim I’ve already been correcting parts of my talking points, checking the facts of various claims, and learning how the opposition feels. Now the next time I argue/debate a Republican, I will now what their talking points will be, the counter arguments to it, and how to best combat the lies they may try to spread. You can learn a lot just from listening.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

4 minutes ago, Maxim Fastovsky said:

US welcomed me legally.   By first coming here on a student Visa.   Finishing that.  Then getting work visa.  Then getting a green card.  Then a citizenship.  I didnt hop the fence.  I didnt overstayed my welcome.  I followed the legal channels and after many years got my citizenship.    Whoever wants to is more then welcome to follow the same rules.  Not cut corners.   

What if we had already accepted “too many Ukrainians” that year? Would you have applied again? Would your life be the same? What if your life was in danger, and the was no other option be fleeing? I can’t believe an immigrant would talk this way, but yet I see immigrants say things like this all the time, and it’s just saddening quite frankly.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

8 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

What if we had already accepted “too many Ukrainians” that year? Would you have applied again? Would your life be the same? What if your life was in danger, and the was no other option be fleeing? I can’t believe an immigrant would talk this way, but yet I see immigrants say things like this all the time, and it’s just saddening quite frankly.

Then I wouldve awaited my turn.  Again.  Will Canada take those immigrants? Probably not

3 minutes ago, Maxim Fastovsky said:

Then I wouldve awaited my turn.  Again.  Will Canada take those immigrants? Probably not

They might actually. They’re one of the more open countries currently.

28 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

They might actually. They’re one of the more open countries currently.

So it might be a problem.  Just like every other country.   So why are we special.  Why do we have to take them and most other countries wont? 

17 minutes ago, Maxim Fastovsky said:

So it might be a problem.  Just like every other country.   So why are we special.  Why do we have to take them and most other countries wont? 

Because we should be setting the example. We should be aiming high, not floating about the minimum.

12 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Because we should be setting the example. We should be aiming high, not floating about the minimum.

So we should open our borders even though we cant even take care of our own citizens and veterans and let in whomever wants to come? Yea hard pass on that.   Though honestly.  With opinions like this I'm surprised you support l.a Olympics because it seems like your opinions coincide with the nolympicsanywhere movement

Dear Lord, 6 pages or so overnight. Just before going to read everything: it's someone sucking Trump's dick vs someone who doesn't? Because if so, I can save myself the time of reading that :lol: 

Edited by heywoodu

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

47 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Dear Lord, 6 pages or so overnight. Just before going to read everything: it's someone sucking Trump's dick vs someone who doesn't? Because if so, I can save myself the time of reading that :lol: 

As someone who skimmed through all the pages, I think you can summarize the whole debate as Trump is Satan vs Trump is God in surprisingly bad English