website statistics

Athletes Deaths Thread

Dragon

RIP Jim Hines, 1946-2023, 1968 100m and 4x100m gold medalist.

Jim Hines, 1968 Olympic 100m champion and world record-holder, dies - AW (athleticsweekly.com)

According to this story, his two gold medals were stolen shortly after the 1968 Games but were returned to him after he placed an advert in a local newspaper. (I had never known that.)  But his 100m race was like the second Olympic athletics event (the day after men's 10K) I ever watched on TV. 

Edited by Triplecast

15 hours ago, Triplecast said:

RIP Jim Hines, 1946-2023, 1968 100m and 4x100m gold medalist.

Jim Hines, 1968 Olympic 100m champion and world record-holder, dies - AW (athleticsweekly.com)

According to this story, his two gold medals were stolen shortly after the 1968 Games but were returned to him after he placed an advert in a local newspaper. (I had never known that.)  But his 100m race was like the second Olympic athletics event (the day after men's 10K) I ever watched on TV. 

First man ever under 10:00 seconds, a big barrier in the day  Like Dick Fosbury & Bob Beamon, benefitting from the technical advances in stadium construction - the "tartan" plastic track of Mexico 68 replacing the cinders of Tokyo 64.  And of course the altitude of Mexico meant that record stood for 15 years.  

Edited by Grassmarket

1 hour ago, Grassmarket said:

First man ever under 10:00 seconds, a big barrier in the day  Like Dick Fosbury & Bob Beamon, benefitting from the technical advances in stadium construction - the "tartan" plastic track of Mexico 68 replacing the cinders of Tokyo 64.  And of course the altitude of Mexico meant that record stood for 15 years.  

And as I learned today, because of the improvements that came after Bob Hayes finished his track career, Jim Hines was the only man to break 10 seconds and play in the NFL.  

Pat Casey :USA - well known BMX Freestyle rider from competitions like thee  X Games, FISE, and Red Bull circuits was reportedly killed in a dirt bike crash at another X Games athlete’s training area. 

I grew up watching the X Games and Red Bull circuits, so always sad when one of the athletes I enjoyed watching dies :cry:

Edited by Olympian1010

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

American ski jumper Patrick Gasienica has been killed in a motorcycle accident in Poland. He was only 24

EDIT - He may have died near his home in the USA. I was fooled by Polish sources reporting his death before American newspapers

Edited by Dragon
New information

Fuck.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

I would advice/propose a national day of mourning (in SUI) for him. A talented Swiss rider dying during the country‘a premier cycling event is worthy of that distinction. Plus, from what I’ve read in the cycling media, he was a terrific guy very worthy of that honor. 

The image of Bahrain-Victorious riding towards the line with the :SUI draped in mourning colors will be one of those somberly remembered moments in sports I think. What a sad day for cycling (and his friends and family). 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela