website statistics

Doping Cases and Bans 2021 Thread

Wumo

22 minutes ago, vinipereira said:

This substance seems to be in high "demand" as two brazilians got caught recently: Fernanda Borges (discus throw, only got a 2 months suspension and was allowed to compete in Tokyo to dismal results), and Tandara (volleyball, also competed at the Games and was suspended after QF, will also allege "unintentional use" but won't get any help from the brazilian committee).

Good luck to Ujah though, since he tested positive for this and something else :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

6 hours ago, stefanbg said:

Could you please explain to me what is the state of the Bulgarian anti-doping system? The national anti-doping centre is certified using the same requirements as any other one in EU:

https://anti-doping.government.bg/en/

Let's also check the medals Bulgaria won at Tokyo:

Gold in rhythmic gymnastics - an entirely skill based sport

Gold in karate - a sport where technique is the primary way to win

Gold in boxing - a sport where judges decide your faith regardless of your strength and stamina plus it was in one of the middle weight categories

Silver in pistol shooting - steady hand and good mental strength required

Two bronzes in female freestyle wrestling - again a technique based sport

In which of the sports above did you last heard of any notable names worldwide as dopers? 

tbh, wrestling is one of the most demanding sport in the world...you need strenght, endurance, quickness and you also have to stay within a weight limit that usually is definitely not your natural one...

basically, wrestling is open to almost all kinds of doping methods, since you have many aspects to keep under control...

p.s. just to be precise about the sport's nature...not saying anything about anybody in particular...

30 minutes ago, vinipereira said:

This substance seems to be in high "demand" as two brazilians got caught recently: Fernanda Borges (discus throw, only got a 2 months suspension and was allowed to compete in Tokyo to dismal results), and Tandara (volleyball, also competed at the Games and was suspended after QF, will also allege "unintentional use" but won't get any help from the brazilian committee).

yes, that substance (ostarine) is the new frontier of steroids, because it has (almost) the same effectivity, but without many of those really dangerous collateral effects that "natural" steroids (not to mention chemical derivates) have...

also in Italy many athletes have been caught in the last couple of years (most notable name, Alex Di Giorgio, former swimmer of the Italian National team)...

and I think we're gonna see many more in the next future...

1 hour ago, heywoodu said:

Good luck to Ujah though, since he tested positive for this and something else :p 

Apparently they both prettysimilar in terms of formation could realistically exist in one substance (so might well have been taken together in one product) - which means you could just about claim double contamination which while being unsuccessful is only on the level of some other recent defences that have been tried and dismissed but without sounding entirely fictional. 

1 hour ago, phelps said:

yes, that substance (ostarine) is the new frontier of steroids, because it has (almost) the same effectivity, but without many of those really dangerous collateral effects that "natural" steroids (not to mention chemical derivates) have...

also in Italy many athletes have been caught in the last couple of years (most notable name, Alex Di Giorgio, former swimmer of the Italian National team)...

and I think we're gonna see many more in the next future...

https://swimswam.com/news/coronavirus-news/

He pulled a contamination defence. 

9 hours ago, rafalgorka said:

It is not that simple. You can't just ignore them, cause their comments are quoted by other users (why they quote them and answer to their posts is uknown to me).

That's why I almost haven't used totallympics at all during the games, trying not to spoil my olympic mood.

And @Sindo wrote here few days ago that he's not going to do anything with this really, so I'm rather pessimistic about future of totallympics board.

Yes, but I learned to quickly see their names in the quoted posts and just stop reading and moving on.

In 2013 (I can't believe I've been around for so long) there was a Polish user named Pavlo and he was the first person I consciously learned to ignore. Then he vanished, I think, or he changed his name here and became a better person, who knows? But ever since we got the ability to ignore some users, it's great because I can't even see when they quote me, and this makes all the difference. This has made this forum a much better place to visit, in my opinion.

I've a suggestion for @Sindo : a second doping thread (doping discussion or whatever) where people could discuss these kind of topics and keeping this one just for actual doping cases. There, mods should move any post accusing someone, making not so subtil wink wink references (that would be me ^^),  investigations from the presse, etc.

On the other hand, people who will go there will know perfectly well what to expect and that the basis of discussion can't be : "my favorite athlete who coincidently share the same nationally than me has been tested a zillion times, how dare you accusing him of anything ?" #leavehimalone 

It works perfectly well on other forums.

The times have found a link between Blessing Okagbare and CJ Ujah.

Insusoect this will see more than one CAS case - the lifetime ban on representing GB is bound to be challenged as it was previously and there is no evidence CAS has changed it’s views on the issue.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/athletics/58216873

Ujah finally speaks and effectively tells us we looking at a contamination or poisoning defence which will fail. Can’t see many in Britain backing him at all considering the Times has done a no smoke without fire article today on some of his teammates and anyone backing him will get that treatment.