website statistics

Your favorite positive 2024 Paris Olympics moments!

Title says it all: what were your favorite moments of the Paris Olympics? I would kindly like to ask everyone to make this a positive thread, with some basic ground rules:

1. Post cool, awesome, inspiring, thrilling moments you enjoyed in a positive way (not 'I loved that athlete X lost or crashed!'), whether that's a gold, a 50th place or just something unrelated to results but still nice.

2. Let's not react to each others suggestions with 'no way, that sucked, I hated that'. I know we're a very international bunch and everyone seeing it from their own country's perspective often leads to things being seen as very cool by one and shitty by another, that's fine, but it would be great to keep this thread positive. We can have a special negative thread, if people want, but it's not this one. #peace :p If you see someone post something as a positive thing and you hated or disliked it, just sit on your fingers and close the thread or something, we have plenty of places here to express that negativity.

That should be all, let's party :cheer: 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Have to think of more later, but assuming she finishes, :BHU Kinzang Lhamo in the marathon with more and more people joining her towards the finish :wub: 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

7 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Have to think of more later, but assuming she finishes, :BHU Kinzang Lhamo in the marathon with more and more people joining her towards the finish :wub: 

Italian television interrupted the pentathlon for show her arrive! :)

I'm sure that I'll think of others down the line but right now the ones that come to mind are the general enthusiasm that the skateboarders (amongst others) have for each other's performances, the women especially. It just seems a sport filled with positivity.

And in a similar note to the marathon, Megan Keith persevering in finishing the women's 10000m the other night, despite being well off her best form. It would have been easier to DNF, especially as she started the final lap after everyone else had finished. Glad the crowd got behind her. A reminder for us all that these are people trying their best. And sometimes their best on the day is just completing the race.

- :INA finally have a gymnastics Olympian, despite Rifda got injured and unable to perform in all apparatus

- :INA finally winning gold outside badminton

- :INA Badminton's Gregoria Mariska showed her critics that she actually can win a major medal

Beside those nationalistic moments, here are some of my picks:

- Celine Dion is back

- :FRA Teddy Riner sending a long heartfelt message to :JPN Tatsuru Saito who was very, very disappointed with his defeat.

- :KOR winning the handball match against :GER , the first time I was thrilled with a handball match

- :PHI Carlos Yulo winning 2 gold (and the hilarious reward of free colonoscopy)

(to be updated)

I wouldn't call this 'moments', but more of an overall thing: the scenery in Paris. Seriously, there have been nice venues and backdrops in most Olympics, but I genuinely find it hard to think of anything more iconic than Paris 2024 in terms of scenery. The Eiffel Tower always in the background, beach volleyball even being right at the foot of it, the cycling road races finishing there as well, and so on. Same thing for everything that was at Versailles, that was the most majestic background I can remember in the Olympics (ok, I'm not ancient like some others here, but still :p).

The indoor stadiums and so on were nice, but for me they're never too special in any country or city (more or less the same), but the outside events....yeah, no idea which city is ever hoping to truly top that.

Not really a 'moment', but it is great that every session i saw the stands was full and the crowd was there. After the 'silent games' it is great to have all the fans! Great atmosphere.

I like the new ritual of opening of every session by hitting three times with wooden staff - i think you know what i mean.

Men's Volleyball QF :POL vs :SLO was the most thrilling and positive moment for oblivious reasons. And also, the fight in the semi-final after being behind and having serious injuries.

I think the Korean archery coach is really cool. :thumbup: (Playing "Gangsta's Paradise" for presentatnion of the archers and coaches was just perfect!) :)

Speaking of archery: men's individual final :KOR Kim vs. :USA Ellison and the 5th set tied after both achieving 10-10-10 and the shoot-off (where both shoot 10s, too). C'mon it was just the peak of the archery level you can achieve and this in the Olympic final!   

Screenshot 2024-08-11 154107a.png

Rinner story has to be high in this ranking. For me probably nr 1. As a Pole nr 2 probably Polish epee W team bronze. Nr 3 win with USA in volleyball semi. Nr 4 great atmosphere between athletes like on podium with Andrade. 

Edited by Pavlo

I fell in love with sports.....since i first seen it

So...the best moment..was the whole olympic time in Paris. Epic games, best ever. We had covid, wars, 3 olympics in 3 years, what a time. Paris...it was enormous. Just few technical problems, maybe just too much weight put on LGBT matters during OC (having in mind what they could show having their culture etc). But c'mon. Love You 2024 SOG. Sure, as a Pole i was following fates of our athletes mainly and it was a kind of sad experience (atmo, comments, many details you won't know) though i feel i wasn't able to enjoy those epic games in our time&cultural zone as deserved. But it's many supporters fate....It was a pleasure Paris😍😍😍😍

I fell in love with sports.....since i first seen it