website statistics

Athletes from other Countries that you will root against at the Summer Olympic Games Paris 2024

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, mrv86 said:

I agree.

If there’s some biassed, arrogant & racist commentators, most of them are from the US/Gb broadcasts.

I don’t mind them being biased in terms of being super happy with their athletes when they do well and even replaying it and wallowing in the victory for a while (within reason). But those BBC gymnastics commentators come across as the worst form of smugness and triumphalism and even go as far as cheering when another gymnast fails when it suits them. So unprofessional and just downright annoying.

Edited by OlympicIRL

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, Dkats said:

People have a hate against Jess Fox? 
😳

I guess I’m still new here 

Look, I can get over many things, she is an amazing paddler, none is denying that, but what is happening during her entire career is absolutely disgusting.

For me personally the top is Especially the way her parents lobbyied to remove immediatelly the C2 by thrusting daggers into the backs of those athletes who believed on their help and all that silently only on the purpose of the non existant W C1 just for the sole purpose to make their daughter the eternal glorified super star. There is a lot of gossip circulating in the backstages about her family´s influence in the rulling of this sport. It is clear to me that not everything has to be true obviously, but yeah... I know in many different federation there a solid anger build toward her and her family.

Not even speaking about the former C2 comunity, they would have their say on certain dubious maneuvers coming from the Fox´s entourage for sure...

but yeah, I'm not a fan of her, but I'm not forcing anyone to follow me so let it be. She will win a couple of medals in Paris anyway, maybe even 3 golds at the end

Edited by hckošice

Posted (edited)

really, I have no hate for any athlete, even if I think that some people shouldn't be part of the world of sports because they're cheaters rather than true criminals :bones:

however, keeping things in sport terms, even if there's no hate, everytime I see :FRA:GER:GBR:NED:CHN and :USA representative lose, I'm really happy :raspberry: :rofl:

*except for Jutta, of course :wub:

Edited by phelps

The level of rooting against the following can change but I’ll echo what some have said earlier. 

I don’t want any of the Kenyan/Ethiopian/Ugandan/whatever runners that the likes of Bahrain have bought in. Nothing against people who have emigrated to any country for their own reasons, just the quite obviously bought ones I’ll cheer against (Same applies to other sports too of course)

Nikki Hiltz in the 1500m. Will just lead to too much *serious debating* 

Most American swimmers. All of them I think but some may surprise me 

Djokovic in tennis. 

The GB 49er FX crew in sailing

Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, hckošice said:

Look, I can get over many things, she is an amazing paddler, none is denying that, but what is happening during her entire career is absolutely disgusting.

For me personally the top is Especially the way her parents lobbyied to remove immediatelly the C2 by thrusting daggers into the backs of those athletes who believed on their help and all that silently only on the purpose of the non existant W C1 just for the sole purpose to make their daughter the eternal glorified super star. There is a lot of gossip circulating in the backstages about her family´s influence in the rulling of this sport. It is clear to me that not everything has to be true obviously, but yeah... I know in many different federation there a solid anger build toward her and her family.

Not even speaking about the former C2 comunity, they would have their say on certain dubious maneuvers coming from the Fox´s entourage for sure...

but yeah, I'm not a fan of her, but I'm not forcing anyone to follow me so let it be. She will win a couple of medals in Paris anyway, maybe even 3 golds at the end

The C-2 event is a casualty of the fact the ICF didn’t bother to start developing women’s canoeing in the 90s or earlier.

The sports that waited the longest to develop more women’s participation are the ones that got hit the hardest when gender equality became a bigger concern, and that’s not really a coincidence.

I genuinely don’t think there is any way the ICF could have kept the men’s C-2 in Tokyo short of already having a women’s C-2 event developed.

Edited by NearPup

38 minutes ago, hckošice said:

I highly doubt the Foxes were the reason why C2 was dropped.

It was the IOC's push to have gender equality.

Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, intoronto said:

I highly doubt the Foxes were the reason why C2 was dropped.

It was the IOC's push to have gender equality.

Yeah, and for that among the plans with W C1 were also the "promised attempt to develop" W C2 or as plan B the Mixed C2 to save the pinnacle of the sport the C2, but it did not work well for a certain paddler, so suddenly and silently the plan was removed and C2 entirely sacrified (even if the mixed C2 program started and was in the schedule of WC and major events and retransformed paddlers did not know about that, believing it is safe and started to focus on this new event), everything suddenly changed C2 was cut and every energy and sources were pushed only for the W C1 to become a main event despite having horrendous level, except for a certain paddler who obviously started to dominate the event by huge gap

Edited by hckošice

17 minutes ago, hckošice said:

Yeah, and for that among the plans with W C1 were also the "promised attempt to develop" W C2 or as plan B the Mixed C2 to save the best event of the sport the C2, but it did not work well for a certain paddler, so suddenly and silently the plan was removed and C2 entirely sacrified (even if the mixed C2 program started and was in the schedule of WC and major events and retransformed paddlers did not know about that, believing it is safe and started to focus on this new event), everything suddenly changed C2 was cut and everything was pushed on W C1 to become a main event despite having horrendous level, except a certain paddler who obviously dominated the event by huge gap

The big question I have is why the women’s C-2 (and C-1) events weren’t fully developed in the 90s or early 2000s?

The men’s C-1 and C-2 were inevitably going to disappear from the Olympics without a women’s counterpart, this was a really predictable consequence, and I honestly don’t understand why more wasn’t done to safeguard the C-2 event from this fate. Is it just incompetence on the ICF’s part? They suffered more from the gender equality push than any other federation except maybe the UWW, and they seemed to completely inexplicably take the longest to create more opportunities for female athletes.

Like I really do not understand why canoeing, of all sports, was among the most complacent when it comes to gender equality concerns.