website statistics

Swimming at the Summer Olympic Games Paris 2024

Totallympics

Just now, dullard said:

400s don't ever have semis.

Ha. Of course. It was the 200 fly I was thinking of, where in Tokyo they had 17 and one DNS so everyone in the heat made it to the SF

1 hour ago, dullard said:

Promising American junior Kaii Winkler has changed nationalities to Germany! He's entered in the 100 fly.

https://www.worldaquatics.com/athletes/1267534/kaii-winkler

Screenshot_2024-07-12_19-36-00.png

Not sure if this is a mistake/joke, but if not: He used to compete at German age group championships and always was listed in German age group rankings. His dad is German, not sure about his mother. I think competing for Germany was his plan B. His injury last year threw him back, otherwise he would have had a good chance to qualify for the American 4 x 100 free relay (I think he still owns the American 100 free record for 16 year olds). Maybe he will do a Santo Condorelli and try to compete for the U.S. in 2028. Germany „missed out“ on Jordan Stolz (German dad), Xander Schauffele (German dad) and Colin Heathcock, so this is an interesting „reversal of fortune“ …

He could also be an interesting addition for the German 4 x 100 free relay. If he gets back into his top shape, Germany would have 4 guys at 47 high/48 low and the oldest of them was born in 1999.

Edited by OlympicsFan

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

8 minutes ago, OlympicsFan said:

Not sure if this is a mistake/joke, but if not: He used to compete at German age group championships and always was listed in German age group rankings. His dad is German, not sure about his mother. I think competing for Germany was his plan B. His injury last year threw him back, otherwise he would have had a good chance to qualify for the American 4 x 100 free relay (I think he still owns the American 100 free record for 16 year olds). Maybe he will do a Santo Condorelli and try to compete for the U.S. in 2028. Germany „missed out“ on Jordan Stolz (German dad), Xander Schauffele (German dad) and Colin Heathcock, so this is an interesting „reversal of fortune“ …

He'll have the same problem as Condorelli. Is he willing to not be on any national teams for three years to switch back to USA?

1 hour ago, Orangehair43 said:

I fear it will be one of the Chinese swimmers who are likely dopped up. 

Pan at best could win 1 gold (100 free) and 4-5 minor medals (medley relay, 200 free, mixed medley relay, 4 x 100 free relay, maybe 4 x 200 free relay).

Qin at best could win 2 golds (100 breast, 200 breast) and two minor medals (medley relay, mixed medley relay).

In the end it depends on the criteria you use. How do you weigh individual medals compared to relay medals? How do weigh gold medals compared to minor/total medals? How do weigh world records compared to the overall medal haul?

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

8 minutes ago, OlympicsFan said:

Pan at best could win 1 gold (100 free) and 4-5 minor medals (medley relay, 200 free, mixed medley relay, 4 x 100 free relay, maybe 4 x 200 free relay).

Qin at best could win 2 golds (100 breast, 200 breast) and two minor medals (medley relay, mixed medley relay).

In the end it depends on the criteria you use. How do you weigh individual medals compared to relay medals? How do weigh gold medals compared to minor/total medals? How do weigh world records compared to the overall medal haul?

They're contenders for gold in the men's and mixed medleys.