website statistics

Artistic Gymnastics at the Summer Olympic Games Paris 2024

11 hours ago, NearPup said:

And now :USA is appealing the decision, claiming they have video evidence that the inquiry was filed with 13 seconds to spare, not four seconds late.

Once again, reminder that no matter what the athlete that should be in third won’t get a bronze medal regardless of the outcome.

How exactly is this timed? Like, is there an official timer that starts at the exact moment you finish your routine and goes down from however long you have to protest?

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

6 hours ago, heywoodu said:

How exactly is this timed? Like, is there an official timer that starts at the exact moment you finish your routine and goes down from however long you have to protest?

I don’t think it’s actually timed… hence this mess.

7 hours ago, NearPup said:

So apparently it *is* timed, but the FIG only revealed what the times were to the federations... during the appeal. Like the heck? xD

Not the way I wanted it to happen, but at least this situation shows how much of a mess the FIG actually is. Some people pointed out that Zhou did not receive a neutral penalty for overtime on the beam, which would put her in third and move Esposito to the silver medal position. Truly, no one should trust the FIG at this point anymore.

The problem about all these appeals and complaints is that it hurts usually the populariity of the sport as we saw in figure skating.  So in protestingloudly you may bring about your voice being heard but at the cost of the sport.  Skating has be spiralingout of control    How lelgitiate should we take skaittnn gwhen the value of elements change and not even proportionately.  It is crrazy and world records don't make sense.  Like a timed event okay  but judged  it is too hard to figure out what is going on now.  The fourth place gymmnast had a poor coach who missed the boat with catching the foot out off bounds and it wasn'twhich would put her third regardless of Chiles. Ahd Jordans extra element was not done well or fully rotated so should thatt be refflected iiin the execcution score?   No matter what medal Jordan is a champ and one of the top gymnasts in the world.  

There are so many factors and much sadness in the women's floor exercise debacle.

First, all the ladies are amazing athletes. And awe inspiring.

Second, I get the desire to "win" and have a medal.

Third, it really seems a lot of issues is really the result of the judging and that is based on human frailty - flesh.

Fourth I understand Jordan was not given credit for techinical difficulty which increased her degree of difficulty by .1 and overalll score.  i also understand some say she did not complete the element or should have lost marks for execution.  Then on the other hand was she already docked for the execution issues? I have problems with Chiles losing the bronze on a technicality of when the appeal was filed.  Not law but I want to know really who should get the bronze on ability - that might be a problem as this is a judged sport

THen you have Sabrina who really may be the ultimate victim.  The issue may be she has a terrible coach who missed the fact she did NOT step out of bounds and should have not been deducted .1 which would put her in bronze even with a Chiles adjusted score. ow, I go for get technicalities what happened and she should not have been deducted the .1.

Finally you have Ana who had the bronze.  Lost the bronze. Had the bronze and then she had the bronze.  

Remember with judging there is lots of interpretation.

It is nice that everyone has so much support.

It would be sad if we lost gymnastics due to scandals like this.  But sometimes the sport can destroy itself.  They have amazing athletes but I find judging brings in a human element deeply flawed.  Gymnastics appears to have tried to market itself almost more like figure skating with bedazzled outfits and exhibitions that ressemble skating's exhibitions. Focussing on the sexappeal of muscles and all.  Let these ladies celebrate bronze and stop the "fighting" protests et al.

Wait the lady in 8th now has an issue with the judging?

My mom would say no medals to anyone but different circumstances.  Still  sometimes good sportsmanship peace andmaye even logic says  3 bronze medals.   Yay to Jordan, Ana and Sabrina.  Judges butts saved I guess.  Move on.

In this case the medal is already tainted why not give all three the bronze and call it a day.

4 minutes ago, Skater Boy said:

It would be sad if we lost gymnastics due to scandals like this.

There is absolutely 0 indication of this though :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

So, it looks like the final appeal was denied and the US cannot challenge the results anymore. Now, Romanian officials, instead of keeping their mouths shut, are trying to push for a 3-way-tie which would give Chiles a bronze medal and, conveniently, would give Voinea a medal too.

Let's be honest: Romania is very lucky to have this medal. I've never seen the FIG being held accountable for their own mistakes, so this is a big victory for Romania. Now, it's time to move on instead of trying to change the final result once again.

7 hours ago, thiago_simoes said:

So, it looks like the final appeal was denied and the US cannot challenge the results anymore. Now, Romanian officials, instead of keeping their mouths shut, are trying to push for a 3-way-tie which would give Chiles a bronze medal and, conveniently, would give Voinea a medal too.

Let's be honest: Romania is very lucky to have this medal. I've never seen the FIG being held accountable for their own mistakes, so this is a big victory for Romania. Now, it's time to move on instead of trying to change the final result once again.

Maybe Romania is very lucky, but FIG probably saw the refs did big mistakes and the scandal was too big this time, I mean the entire world saw what they did, that's why they changed the podium.