website statistics

Artistic Gymnastics at the Summer Olympic Games Paris 2024

4 minutes ago, Federer91 said:

Lol, ok buddy, everyone is out to the get the Americans. :d

The only hatred i have is for the mass hyperbolization, that occurs from people, whose knowledge is only from the past 10 years and don't care for any sporting history and everything present is the best ever, anytime, anywhere, in the Galaxy...

Please, find me anyone that shares your opinion, anywhere, not from american media, i'm sure there is someone out there that is covering gymnastics for 40 years that will say the same thing

1 hour ago, Maxim Fastovsky said:

whether or not she is overscored is an opinion, the number of her medals is a fact

And the number of medals doesn't make someone 'the GOAT' (to use that awfully overused term). She is obviously one of the best ever, but it is quite literally impossible to seriously compare athletes in any sport through the ages in a somewhat realistic manner. Most sports don't have a....ugh, GOAT, in my opinion, just athletes that are among the best ever or are the best of their generation.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

A great final. Biles is beyond human, honestly. Her floor routine was absolutely fantastic! Even with mistakes on bars and vault (she should have received lower scores) her gold medal was deserved and a triumph she should be very proud of.

Rebeca with another silver medal seems like a dream. There's nothing wrong about losing to the best gymnast ever.

And I don't have anything positive to write about Sunisa Lee, so I'll just stop here.

1 hour ago, heywoodu said:

And the number of medals doesn't make someone 'the GOAT' (to use that awfully overused term). She is obviously one of the best ever, but it is quite literally impossible to seriously compare athletes in any sport through the ages in a somewhat realistic manner. Most sports don't have a....ugh, GOAT, in my opinion, just athletes that are among the best ever or are the best of their generation.

Every sport have a GOAT discussion, Jordan or Lebron, Federer or Djokovic, Hamilton or Schumacher, Pele or Messi, people always try to determine who was the best in a certain sport. And the best way we have to determine that is by achievements, titles, medals.

10 minutes ago, Maxim Fastovsky said:

Every sport have a GOAT discussion

Annoyingly enough, yep. And annoyingly enough, in most sports that mostly involves 'current' or very recent athletes, because that's who people remember the most (logically).

It's like calling Phelps the greatest Olympian ever 'because he has so many golds'. Yeah, ok, but does that really make him a great Olympian than someone who won way fewer golds but won all of them in 1 or 2 events since their sport doesn't have 10+ medal chances if you're great?

Of course people are free to discuss what they want though, it just feels so....futile :d 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

It’s a great redemption story, really. I normally don’t love when one athlete is put on a pedestal but Biles deserves the praise.

Tbh we should celebrate how far we’ve come in women’s gymnastics. Back in 1988 the US commentator kept calling the East German teenagers “attractive” and it was super creepy  https://www.tumblr.com/freifraufischer/734561603745447936/nbcs-dick-enberg-being-creepy-about-teenagers-for

1 hour ago, heywoodu said:

Annoyingly enough, yep. And annoyingly enough, in most sports that mostly involves 'current' or very recent athletes, because that's who people remember the most (logically).

It's like calling Phelps the greatest Olympian ever 'because he has so many golds'. Yeah, ok, but does that really make him a great Olympian than someone who won way fewer golds but won all of them in 1 or 2 events since their sport doesn't have 10+ medal chances if you're great?

Of course people are free to discuss what they want though, it just feels so....futile :d 

You shouldn't compare someone like Phelps vs someone like Steve Redgrave, can't even compare phelps vs biles, but within the sport i don't see an issue to do it

Surprisingly a historic performance by Helen Kevric :GER in multiple ways:

a) First 16 year old to finish in the top 8 in the all-around since 2008 (the year she was born)

b) Best result for Germany since 1988, if you include GDR athletes

c) Best result for Germany since 1964, if you don’t include GDR athletes

d) Second best European athlete

Too bad she didn’t score 0.2 points more to finish 6th. Obviously Germany never had a talent like her, hopefully she continues on her path without injuries.

Edited by OlympicsFan

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.