website statistics

Athletics WA Diamond League 2024

Totallympics

32 minutes ago, Cinnamon Bun said:

Great day for :GBR on the track (Reece Prescod aside), particularly Hudson-Smith, Reekie, Reardon (who unfortunately isn't going to Paris) and Hodgkinson who ran incredible PB's, :BOT Tebogo and :LCA Alfred looked really good also and looks very likely to win their countries' very first Olympic medal. Dissapointed with :IVB McMaster today, I know I shouldn't take too much from it but I'd have liked him to be closer to :BRA Dos Santos, who he'll be battling with for bronze in Paris, as opposed to being beaten by :JAM Clarke. 

Bell in the women’s 800m also deserves a mention as she’s now the 3rd fastest performer this year, don’t you think? :d

Few things to point out ;)

Botswana has won two Olympic medals before during London 2012 (men’s 800m, Nijel Amos), and Tokyo 2020 (men’s 4x400m relay)

Yeah that was not a good sign for McMaster heading into the Olympics, but realistically speaking Benjamin, Warholm, and dos Santos are levels above the rest. Benjamin-Warholm are the favourites to go 1-2 (probably in that order), but I wouldn’t count out dos Santos for silver or even gold even with two mediocre races (by his standards) because his 47.18 he did today he had nobody to push him. 

2 hours ago, Josh said:

Diamond League London :GBR

Women’s Javelin Throw

1. :AUS MacKenzie Little (66.26m, PB)

2. :SRB Adriana Vilagos (65.58m, PB & NR)

3. :USA Maggie Malone (62.99m)

Men’s Shot Put

1. :ITA Leonardo Fabbri (22.52m)

2. :USA Ryan Crouser (22.37m)

3. :USA Payton Otterdahl (22.13m)

Women’s Pole Vault

1. :AUS Nina Kennedy (4.85m) :yikes:

2. :CAN Alysha Newman (4.75m)

3. :GBR Molly Caudery (4.65m)

Women’s 400m Hurdles

1. :NED Femke Bol (51.30) :hyper::hyper::yikes:

2. :USA Shamier Little (52.78)

3. :JAM Rushell Clayton (53.24) 

Men’s Triple Jump

1. :NZL Hamish Kerr (2.30m)

2. :USA Juvaughn Harrison (2.26m)

3. :GBR William Grimsey (2.22m)

Men’s 400m

1. :JAM Nickisha Pryce (48.57, PB & WL & NR) :hyper::hyper::yikes::yikes:

2. :POL Natalia Kaczmarek (48.90, PB & NR) :hyper::hyper::yikes:

3. :NED Lieke Klaver (49.58, PB)

Men’s 400m Hurdles

1. :BRA Alison dos Santos (47.18)

2. :JAM Roshawn Clarke (47.63)

3. :QAT Ismail Abakar (47.72)

Men’s 3000m

1. :SUI Dominic Lobalu (7:27.68, PB & NR)

2. :USA Grant Fischer (7:27.99)

3. :KEN Edwin Kurgat (7:28.53, PB)

Women’s 800m

1. :GBR Keely Hodgkinson (1:54.61, PB & WL & NR) :hyper::hyper::yikes::yikes:

2. :GBR Jemma Reekie (1:55.61, PB) :hyper::hyper::yikes:

3. :GBR Georgia Bell (1:56.28, PB) :hyper::yikes:

Men’s 1 Mile

1. :AUS Oliver Hoare (3:49.03)

2. :NOR Narve Gilje Nordås (3:49.06)

3. :ESP Adel Mechaal (3:49.21)

Men’s 400m

1. :GBR Matthew Hudson-Smith (43.74, PB & WL & AR) :hyper::hyper::yikes::yikes:

2. :USA Vernon Norwood (44.10, PB)

3. :TTO Jereem Richards (44.18, PB)

Women’s 200m

1. :USA Gaby Thomas (21.82) :hyper::yikes:

2. :LCA Julien Alfred (21.86, PB & NR) :hyper::yikes::cheer:

3. :GBR Dina Asher-Smith (22.07)

Men’s 100m

1. :USA Noah Lyles (9.81, PB) :hyper::hyper::yikes::yikes:

2. :RSA Akani Simbine (9.86) :hyper::hyper::yikes:

3. :BOT Letsile Tebogo (9.88, =PB & =NR) :hyper::yikes:

Full Results

Extremely substandard performances in the men's triple jump (😀) but apart from that an excellent meeting in front of a capacity crowd of 60k.

21 minutes ago, Nickyc707 said:

Extremely substandard performances in the men's triple jump (😀) but apart from that an excellent meeting in front of a capacity crowd of 60k.

As you can probably tell I copy and pasted :facepalm:

1 hour ago, Josh said:

Bell in the women’s 800m also deserves a mention as she’s now the 3rd fastest performer this year, don’t you think? :d

Few things to point out ;)

Botswana has won two Olympic medals before during London 2012 (men’s 800m, Nijel Amos), and Tokyo 2020 (men’s 4x400m relay)

Yeah that was not a good sign for McMaster heading into the Olympics, but realistically speaking Benjamin, Warholm, and dos Santos are levels above the rest. Benjamin-Warholm are the favourites to go 1-2 (probably in that order), but I wouldn’t count out dos Santos for silver or even gold even with two mediocre races (by his standards) because his 47.18 he did today he had nobody to push him. 

Yes Bell's performance was brilliant, there were just so many today I couldn't remember them all. And I instantly realised my mistake regarding :BOT not only after I'd said it, I always forget they've medalled for some reason. 

Also regarding the 400m Hurdles, I think Karsten and Rai are a class above the rest and won't be surpassed by anyone else but I think Dos Santos is quite vulnerable to the rest of the field. I don't know what it is but he seems to be lacking quite a bit of pace in-between hurdles (mainly at the start and end) which is giving him too much to do going into the final straight compared to Karston and Rai and leaving him open for an attack from someone like McMaster or Clarke. Hopefully the heats and semis will help McMaster to prepare for the final and go close to his PB (which is what is at least needed to overtake Dos Santos) but I'm not as confident as I was before. 

11 hours ago, Josh said:

Diamond League London :GBR

Women’s Javelin Throw

2. :SRB Adriana Vilagos (65.58m, PB & NR)

Full Results

I think Adriana deserves a :yikes:as well. :d

After her breakthrough in 2021/2022, in 2023 she got injured and was not able to throw to the best of her ability. 

But now she is back in 2024 :clap:

With this result, I think that she will medal in Paris. Maybe even longer. Coming from a girl that learned javelin from youtube, in a village with no club, with mother coaching her who was a handball player. 

11 hours ago, Federer91 said:

These new magical shoes are doing wonders. I propose everyone to run barefoot :evil:

It worked for Abebe Bikila when he won the marathon in Rome in 1960.