website statistics

GB Athletics

1 hour ago, Orangehair43 said:

The selection criteria appears to out the Mixed relay above Men’s relay and individuals. So MHS might be told to focus on the mixed relay and downgrade his hopes for the individual.

on a daily basis, how often are you wrong? 

Hi, I've only been registered on this forum for a week and lurking on it for about three so I'm completely aware that I don't know the history. However the reaction to Orangehair ( judged on the merits of the comments I've seen) has been over the top. He/ she has been wrong but there seems to be a view that it's ok to insult him/ her. If their behaviour has been bad they should have been been banned. If you don't like their comments then just hide them as has been suggested. But the current sniping is uncomfortable to watch.

On the mixed relay, I think it is clear that the depth of UK 400m running has been boosted by the chance to win a medal in the mixed, rather like the relays in swimming. MHS very unlikely to be running it - number of medals seems the goal not their colour. 

Let's all just be nice to each other and disagree in good faith as I'm known to be wrong about 99% of the time so be nice when correcting people :d

Haven't been looking too closely tbh so I'm not singling out any particular incident or blaming anyone. I'm glad this community has picked up a lot though, it's good to see so many people interested as when we started this I thought the :GBR userbase was very small on here

And welcome to the forum @Rich

Edited by Sindo

As now we come across the world
To share these Games of old
Let all the flags of every land
In brotherhood unfold

2 hours ago, Mkbw50 said:

Let's all just be nice to each other and disagree in good faith as I'm known to be wrong about 99% of the time so be nice when correcting people :d

Haven't been looking too closely tbh so I'm not singling out any particular incident or blaming anyone. I'm glad this community has picked up a lot though, it's good to see so many people interested as when we started this I thought the :GBR userbase was very small on here

And welcome to the forum @Rich

Thank you! I've found the forum really interesting with lots of results from competitions I had no idea even existed. So many sports disappear from mainstream coverage between Olympics and, while I was aware that people were out competing,  I had no idea how busy the BMXers and the fencers etc are. The forum also really added to my enjoyment of the GB swimming trials so thanks to all the people who post.

Edited by Sindo

5 hours ago, Rich said:

Hi, I've only been registered on this forum for a week and lurking on it for about three so I'm completely aware that I don't know the history. However the reaction to Orangehair ( judged on the merits of the comments I've seen) has been over the top. He/ she has been wrong but there seems to be a view that it's ok to insult him/ her. If their behaviour has been bad they should have been been banned. If you don't like their comments then just hide them as has been suggested. But the current sniping is uncomfortable to watch.

On the mixed relay, I think it is clear that the depth of UK 400m running has been boosted by the chance to win a medal in the mixed, rather like the relays in swimming. MHS very unlikely to be running it - number of medals seems the goal not their colour. 

Orangehair is a disaster-loving troll who constantly and deliberately derails threads with ridiculous takes for bites. It's not genuine, it's trolling - as confirmed when on one occasion he/she made up a ridiculous rumour, and then tried to claim he had 'sources' which proved to be nothing but his/her own imagination.

That is going to irritate people.

Last couple of events before the end of the month. 

30-Apr: Ibero-American Meeting Huelva 2024 :ESP - Think this is the first big European athletics meet of the season and there's a handful of Brits in action.

Amelia Campbell is due to compete in the Shot Put. Current season's best is 18.03 from an indoor competition in January. She'll be targeting the UKA standard of 18.67m but that would require a significant PB.

Bekah Walton is due to open her season when she competes in the javelin - possibly the weakest event in GB athletics. She set a PB of 59.76 in June last year so she'll be looking to get over 60m for the first time. She's added 2m to her PB in each of the last 2 seasons - if she can keep that trend going in 2024, she would be able to hit the UKA standard of 61.50. 

In the men's 5000m, Charles Wheeler and Zakariya Mahamed will be competing. Wheeler has a PB of 13:20.17 from earlier this year and will need to drop a further 15 seconds if he wants to hit the OQS. Mahamed's PB is 13:47.43 so it would need a big drop to be contending for a spot in Paris. 

Seamus Derbyshire was initially down to compete in the 400m Hurdles but he no longer appears on the start lists.

30-Apr: The Stanford v Cal Big Meet :USA - No entry list yet but possible that Anna Purchase may be in action

6 hours ago, mpjmcevoy said:

Orangehair is a disaster-loving troll who constantly and deliberately derails threads with ridiculous takes for bites. It's not genuine, it's trolling - as confirmed when on one occasion he/she made up a ridiculous rumour, and then tried to claim he had 'sources' which proved to be nothing but his/her own imagination.

That is going to irritate people.

Actually I wasn’t.

May is going to be a hectic month for athletes as the hunt for Olympic qualifying standards heats up so mark your cards early for some performances to look forward to:

4-May: USATF Throws Festival :USA - Anna Purchase will compete in the hammer and Divine Oladipo competes in the shot put. 

4-May: Meeting National Est Lyonnais :FRA - Elliot Giles and Archie Davies will both compete in the 800m.

10-May: Wanda Diamond League Doha :QAT - Morgan Lake opens her outdoor season in the high jump whilst Jemma Reekie competes in the 800m. Indoor world champion Molly Caudery opens her outdoor season in the pole vault. 

12-May: Horst Mandl Memorial :AUT - Reporting this with slight trepidation given I got burned by WA earlier but it looks like Katarina Johnson Thompson will get her outdoor season underway in the javelin and 100m hurdles.

15-May: Savona International Meeting :ITA - Keely Hodgkinson will run the 400m whilst Jessie Knight will compete in the 400m hurdles. Charlie Dobson will be in the men's 400m and Scott Lincoln will be in the shot put. 

16-May: Meeting International de Montreuil :FRA - Ben WIlliams competes in the triple jump whilst Eliott Giles will run the 800m. On the women's side, Jemma Reekie is listed as competing in 800m, Erin Wallace and Ellie Baker are due to compete in the 1500m. We should also see Lorraine Ugen go in the long jump. Interestingly, we may also see the return of Laura Zialor in the high jump in her first competition since rupturing her Achilles at the European Team Champs last year. 

18-May: USATF Los Angeles Grand Prix :USA - Alex Botterill and Jake Wightman will both compete in the 800m. Zak Seddon and Lizzie Bird are entered for the 3000m Steeplechase although worth pointing out that Bird was scheduled to run last week and was DNS. 

Big British contingent competing in the 2-day IFAM Outdoor meet in :BEL at the end of May.

Starting with the 100m, Joy Eze, Success Eduan, Diani Walker and Leonie Ashmeade will compete in the women's race whilst Romell Glave and Korede Awe will be in the men's race. 

Over 200m, Success Eduan and Louise Evans are scheduled to compete alongside Jeriel Quainoo, Joe Ferguson and Thomas Somers

Charlie Dobson, Joe Brier, Lewis Davey, Charlie Carvell, Dan Putnam and Toby Harries will all run the 400m.

Hayley McLean, Jess Tappin and Ese Okoro will all compete in the women's 400m hurdles whilst Seamus Derbyshire, Alastair Chalmers, Chris McAlister, Maranga Mokaya, Tyri Donovan and Josh Faulds will compete in the men's event. 

In the sprint hurdles, David King, Tom Wilcock and Miguel Perera will run in the 110m hurdles with Jenna Blundell, Alicia Barrett and Isabel Wakefield will compete over 100m hurdles. 

In the distance events, Zak Seddon is down to compete in the 3000m steeplechase whilst Tom Mortimer goes in the 5000m.

Finally, Owen Heard will be competing in the pole vault. 

That's just a selection of the Brits on the start lists :d