website statistics

Boxing IOC Olympic Qualifier 1 2024 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

When thinking about, I found one good thing. No Boxers at Olympics means less money for this sport, means more money for hockey.

Slovakia with Only 4 (mayvbe 5/6 at the end) sports at the Olympics will result in huge increase of money on Hockey. Let say the truth it is still the only thing which interest this country, having a boxer at the Olympics (even more a female) would be ridiculous and just take out money from what matters more.

So at the end, once Paris will be over nobody will even cry about and everybody will completely refocus on August Hockey Olympic Qualifiers. This is the main event of this year for the absolute majority of sport fans in this country

39 minutes ago, Cinnamon Bun said:

Really poor week for :GBR, there's a high chance we'll be sending our lowest team since '08. Really need to storm the Bangkok qualifier. 

wasn't really that poor was it, the two that qualified looked really good, poor would have been qualifying no one, not sure how many quota spots have been lost per weight class but i remember the qualification tournament for tokyo was a lot easier to obtain, everyone that has qualified can consider themselves a medal chance 

Edited by Olympicsnell

15 minutes ago, Olympicsnell said:

wasn't really that poor was it, the two that qualified looked really good, poor would have been qualifying no one, not sure how many quota spots have been lost per weight class but i remember the qualification tournament for tokyo was a lot easier to obtain, everyone that has qualified can consider themselves a medal chance 

Can’t speak on the majority of the weightclasses that Great Britain has qualified in, as I’m far from an expert, but I can tell you for a fact that Chantelle Reid in women’s 75kg isn’t an Olympic medal contender. All of the top names had already qualified through their respective continental tournaments.  

Edited by Josh

14 minutes ago, Olympicsnell said:

I'd disagree, there were 3-4 boxers who were amongst the favourites in their category to qualify who got beat in the first round. Yes they got tough draws, but the fact a lot of them got thumped 5-0 is were the real issue lies. 

2 minutes ago, Josh said:

Can’t speak on the majority of the weightclasses that Great Britain has qualified in, as I’m far from an expert, but I can tell you for a fact that Chantelle Reid in women’s 75kg isn’t an Olympic medal contender. All of the top names had already qualified through their respective continental tournaments.  

Chantelle was actually a surprise qualifier, as many thought only Cindy would qualify and she would become our representative. I would consider Patrick Brown a medal contender though, he fought well all week and looked impressive. 

3 minutes ago, Cinnamon Bun said:

Chantelle was actually a surprise qualifier, as many thought only Cindy would qualify and she would become our representative. I would consider Patrick Brown a medal contender though, he fought well all week and looked impressive. 

Will Ngamba actually represent Great Britain at Paris? I thought she was focused on qualifying as a Refugee athlete? And if so, what would happen to Reid’s quota?

Edited by Josh

11 minutes ago, Josh said:

Will Ngamba actually represent Great Britain at Paris? I thought she was focused on qualifying as a Refugee athlete? And if so, what would happen to Reid’s quota?

Now that Chantelle has qualified Ngamba will represent Refugee, GB Boxing have even dressed her up as a qualifier on their twitter page with the whole shabang (enlarged tickets, mascot teddy, etc) which I don't think they'd have done if they had the intent of dropping her for Cindy. Although like mpjmcevoy and Rafa said a few pages back, the British media will treat her as our own at the games.     

34 minutes ago, Cinnamon Bun said:

Now that Chantelle has qualified Ngamba will represent Refugee, GB Boxing have even dressed her up as a qualifier on their twitter page with the whole shabang (enlarged tickets, mascot teddy, etc) which I don't think they'd have done if they had the intent of dropping her for Cindy. Although like mpjmcevoy and Rafa said a few pages back, the British media will treat her as our own at the games.     

they've started already, shameless

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/68539539

Despite the best efforts of GB Boxing to spin this week as a great success, objectively this is the second consecutive qualifying tournament where the squad has under delivered and as @Cinnamon Bun says, unless there is a dramatic shift in performance/luck in Bangkok, :GBR are heading for the smallest boxing squad since Beijing with no obvious medal contenders.

Comparing to 2020 is difficult - the number of quotas has dropped by around 50 or so and the weight classes have been changed, but it's pretty obvious that the current crop of athletes haven't performed at the same level as the squad for Tokyo:

• In 2020 GB qualified 11 boxers at the European qualification event.
  • In 2023 GB qualified 3 boxers at the European qualification event. 
  • If you adjust the 2020 European qualification event results to apply the 2024 quotas, GB would have qualified 8 boxers - 5 men (52Kg, 63Kg, 69Kg, 80Kg and +91Kg) and 3 women (51Kg, 60Kg and 75Kg).
  • Conversely, if you applied the 2023 European Games results to the Tokyo quotas, GB would only have qualified 2 men (51Kg and +92Kg) and 2 women (54Kg and 66Kg).