website statistics

Wrestling 2024 Discussion Thread

Totallympics

Kinda interesting info from our wrestling star, 2-time Olympic medalist Zhan Beleniuk (who also, if you don't know, is a politician). 

In his speech, he noticed this:  

"The developed criteria should be in line with Ukraine's interests. Those people who supported or are supporting the war, who have been identified as participants in propaganda activities, for example, standing next to Putin and glorifying the Russian authorities and their leader, should not be able to participate in international competitions. In particular, I have information that some Russian wrestlers have already been blocked. They are now confused and do not know what to do, as they planned to take part in the Olympic Games, but this opportunity is still closed," the politician noted.

Considering that, maybe a trio of dumpsters, also known as Uguev-Sadullaev-Sidakov can be possibly banned due to attendance of Luzhniki action. If that's would be the true, it really is a great news. 

6 hours ago, Illya said:

Kinda interesting info from our wrestling star, 2-time Olympic medalist Zhan Beleniuk (who also, if you don't know, is a politician). 

In his speech, he noticed this:  

"The developed criteria should be in line with Ukraine's interests. Those people who supported or are supporting the war, who have been identified as participants in propaganda activities, for example, standing next to Putin and glorifying the Russian authorities and their leader, should not be able to participate in international competitions. In particular, I have information that some Russian wrestlers have already been blocked. They are now confused and do not know what to do, as they planned to take part in the Olympic Games, but this opportunity is still closed," the politician noted.

Considering that, maybe a trio of dumpsters, also known as Uguev-Sadullaev-Sidakov can be possibly banned due to attendance of Luzhniki action. If that's would be the true, it really is a great news. 

And it shows what a chaos in olympic qualification was brought by russian reinstatement.

They stole chances of other wrestlers to win licenses at the World Championships. The licenses sholud be redistributed. It would be fair.

Futhermore, if the "dumpsters" are not officially stripped of their "licenses" before the Olympic license tournaments russia will not be able to send another wrestlers in their weights to take part. UWW and IOC are "clever" as usual.

On 1/10/2024 at 11:04 PM, MHSN said:

and this Ramazanov was good shopping for Bulgaria after getting lots of low level Russian wrestlers, this guy looks good and will be a medal chance in Paris but not sure if they finished his paperwork in time to wrestle at the qualifiers. 

Both Ramazanov brothers are living in my city, when they are not in training camps with the NT. I believe the documents are in order, as the coaches will heavily push both of them for quotas. On the other hand, this is yet another foreigner bought, which is not sitting very well with me. The quality of Bulgarian wrestlers has decreased immensely, that any outsider can come in easily win the weight on a National level.. 

5 hours ago, intoronto said:

Former Iranian wrestler Peiman Biabani is now competing for Canada. I don't think he has a shot at the Olympics since trials have already been competed. @MHSN

Yeah I know his story. he is not a Canadian citizen yet and therefore is not eligible to participate in the Olympics anyway. UWW is less strict in its own competitions. which means he can participate in any other tournament.

he is a former World Junior Champion and he was surely good enough to qualify for the Olympics from Pan-America. 

On 1/20/2024 at 10:18 AM, MHSN said:

former World Champion and 2012 Olympic silver medalist :ARM Arsen Julfalakyan is going to represent :ARG Argentina :yikes:

ARM and ARG are next to each other alphabetically. maybe that explains the move :p

ARG has one of the largest armenian diaspora in the world and they are surprisingly prominent in society, quite a few of the country's richest businessmen are of that origin. So it wouldn't be so random, their football NT has 2 argentinians for example. 

I have no clue what motivates this action though and, apparently, I can't find any information about it either?

42 minutes ago, LDOG said:

ARG has one of the largest armenian diaspora in the world and they are surprisingly prominent in society, quite a few of the country's richest businessmen are of that origin. So it wouldn't be so random, their football NT has 2 argentinians for example. 

I have no clue what motivates this action though and, apparently, I can't find any information about it either?

I only heard of David Nalbandian before :p

he had his debut today in Henri Deglane Grand Prix in France winning silver and apparently getting injured in the final, he is also registered for the Pan-American Champ in Mexico. (still no entry list for the Pan-Am qualifiers but I assume he is there too) if his injury is not serious I think he has a good chance to at least qualify for the Olympics. used to be one of my favorite Greco wrestlers, very unlucky to finish his career with just one world title.

more Russian wrestlers are switching NOC in Olympic year

Razambek Zhamalov moved to Uzbekistan and Viktor Rassadin will represent Tajikistan from now on. they are both very good and specially Zhamalov can be a legit medal contender in Paris. you didn't hear much from him because he lost close matches to World/Olympic Champion Sidakov but he is almost as good as Sidakov. 74kg qualifiers in Asia looked easy at first but now it's a completely different thing. 

with :SRB Tsabalov, :SVK Salkazanov, :BLR Kadimagomedov and couple more. 74kg is more like Russian National Champs.

I also can name :ROU Shikhjamalov, :HUN Kurmagomedov, :MKD Shapiev, :BRN Asluev, :KGZ Budazhapov ,,, and there are probably more names

Edited by MHSN