website statistics

Wrestling 2024 Discussion Thread

Totallympics

42 minutes ago, Dragon said:

Russian officials are saying that Abdulrashid Sadulayev will not be allowed to defend his title in Paris

Just to clarify, these are the Russian authorities admitting the IOC will not let him compete in Paris because of his support for the Russian military

7 hours ago, MHSN said:

more Russian wrestlers are switching NOC in Olympic year

Razambek Zhamalov moved to Uzbekistan and Viktor Rassadin will represent Tajikistan from now on. they are both very good and specially Zhamalov can be a legit medal contender in Paris. you didn't hear much from him because he lost close matches to World/Olympic Champion Sidakov but he is almost as good as Sidakov. 74kg qualifiers in Asia looked easy at first but now it's a completely different thing. 

with :SRB Tsabalov, :SVK Salkazanov, :BLR Kadimagomedov and couple more. 74kg is more like Russian National Champs.

I also can name :ROU Shikhjamalov, :HUN Kurmagomedov, :MKD Shapiev, :BRN Asluev, :KGZ Budazhapov ,,, and there are probably more names

Is there any place where you could find the list of those who switch NOC?

• 2 weeks later...

more mercenary Russians transferring to non-freestyle wrestling countries

2020 World Cup Champion Shamil Sharipov (125kg FS) will represent :BRN Bahrain 

World U23 Champion Chermen Valiev (74kg FS) will wrestle for the the great :ALB Albania

former European Champion Azamat Tuskaev (57kg FS) is now from :SRB Serbia

Edited by MHSN

On 2/6/2024 at 7:55 PM, MHSN said:

more mercenary Russians transferring to non-wrestling countries

2020 World Cup Champion Shamil Sharipov (125kg FS) will represent :BRN Bahrain 

World U23 Champion Chermen Valiev (74kg FS) will wrestle for the the great :ALB Albania

former European Champion Azamat Tuskaev (57kg FS) is now from :SRB Serbia

I wouldnt say that Serbia is non wrestling nation. At least, not in GR. 

Sure, they arent among top nations but cant compare them with Albania or Bahrain.

9 minutes ago, ChandlerMne said:

I wouldnt say that Serbia is non wrestling nation. At least, not in GR. 

Sure, they arent among top nations but cant compare them with Albania or Bahrain.

Yes you are right. my comment was mostly refereeing to the freestyle wrestling. and to be honest I added Tuskaev later to that list. he wasn't in the list when I wrote the leading line :d I should had edited that line

14 minutes ago, MHSN said:

Yes you are right. my comment was mostly refereeing to the freestyle wrestling. and to be honest I added Tuskaev later to that list. he wasn't in the list when I wrote the leading line :d I should had edited that line

:yes

Tuskaev surprised me, didnt think federation will bring anyone in 57 kg, as Stevan Micic is still relativelly young. Plus, Micic is a Serb, living in USA, Tuskaev is just another naturalised wrestler.

Not that i am fan of this process but freestyle was always bad in Serbia. After Tsabolov and Micic there are many domicile wrestlers trying to do FS only. At least something good turned iut from this. 

Edited by ChandlerMne

According to UWW calendar we will have a World Championship this year for non-Olympic weights. :ALB Albania will host it right after the World U23 Championship

also Zagreb in :CRO Croatia will host the 2025 World Champs

Croatia is OK but Albania can be troublesome. last year they didn't let our team participate at World U23 and UWW rewarded them with another competition :facepalm: I understand that nobody wanted to host this non-Olympic weights World Champs and UWW had to settle for this terrible option but I hope no problem this time. 

54 minutes ago, MHSN said:

According to UWW calendar we will have a World Championship this year for non-Olympic weights. :ALB Albania will host it right after the World U23 Championship

also Zagreb in :CRO Croatia will host the 2025 World Champs

Croatia is OK but Albania can be troublesome. last year they didn't let our team participate at World U23 and UWW rewarded them with another competition :facepalm: I understand that nobody wanted to host this non-Olympic weights World Champs and UWW had to settle for this terrible option but I hope no problem this time. 

UWW are so desperate for money, that i'm surprised they are not doing a full-fledged Worlds... They just can't pass a single year can't they. Who would care about these non-Olympic weights, especially after Paris..

On 2/17/2024 at 12:29 AM, Federer91 said:

UWW are so desperate for money, that i'm surprised they are not doing a full-fledged Worlds... They just can't pass a single year can't they. Who would care about these non-Olympic weights, especially after Paris..

we do care, we even had our trials (parts of it) for non-Olympic weights already. 

some of our good (but not great) wrestlers decided to stay in their non-Olympic weights rather than moving up or down to Olympic weights (would be a desperate try most probably) and Albania becoming the host was a terrible and worrying news for them.

and non-Olympic weights started to exist since 2016. that year UWW had a WCh only for those weights. 2021 was a special case because of COVID. they already signed the contract with Norway. My point is they never plan a full-fledged Worlds in the Olympic year. with only 6 weights in the Olympics and limited number of quotas (thanks to IOC) lots of good wrestlers will miss the Olympics. a World Championship in non-Olympic weights is just the right thing to do. of course it's hard to find a host for that.