website statistics

Wrestling 2024 Discussion Thread

Totallympics

entries for Zagreb Open, first ranking series in 2024

https://uww.org/article/zagreb-open-2024-entry-list

looks like a very strong competition based on the preliminary list. this is probably the last test for most of these guys before their Olympic qualifiers. 

this tournament results will be counted toward the ranking which will be important for seeding of Olympic qualifiers and also the Olympics itself.

for Iran, we have a VERY VERY weird and complicated trial process. but it's possible to know some of our Olympic team members here in Zagreb. :facepalm:

4 minutes ago, phelps said:

-57kg: :IND Aman
-86kg: :BUL Magomed Ramazanov

this Aman guy is a gold medal threat in Paris, you heard it first from me :d

and this Ramazanov was good shopping for Bulgaria after getting lots of low level Russian wrestlers, this guy looks good and will be a medal chance in Paris but not sure if they finished his paperwork in time to wrestle at the qualifiers. 

-------------------------------------------------------

for Iran this tournaments acts as our trials in freestyle. last year team members (only successful ones) vs the challengers (national winners)

we had 5 wrestlers today, at 86kg our main guy Yazdani is injured so it was supposed to be just a test for the challenger guy but he got the "bad draw" and had to withdraw :question:

65 and 74 were important, 2022 World Champion Rahman Amzouad beat his Iranian opponent and booked his place at the Olympics but withdrew from the final vs Tevanyan (booo :thumbdown:)

but 74 kg "trial" ended up in a disaster :facepalm: our better guy Emami narrowly lost to the other guy Abouzari 4-4 and Abouzari got manhandled in the final 10-1 against USA #2 (or maybe #3) guy :facepalm: I really hope they consider this. sending Abouzari to the Asian QT will be a huge huge gift for the Asian wrestlers.

a bit off topic here, just to say that I read UWW president Nenad Lajovic was visiting Bratislava´s Olympic Museum 2 days ago and confirmed the IF interest to organize either the European or even World Champs here in 2025 in case of interest :p No idea how this work, but I am genuinely confident there must be at least some bidding followed by voting process before, right ? or this really works like that, hey guys, I like you, place a bid and I will give you the worlds, ok ? :d

Whole article in our NOC website in slovak https://www.olympic.sk/clanok/sosv-uww-nenad-lalovic-prijatie

Edited by hckošice

Iran won 3 (out of 4) gold medals today in Zagreb but it was mostly important for 97kg and 125kg to determine the Olympic team members

at 125kg we had an all-Iranian final, World Champion Amir Hossein Zare beat 19-years old talented Masoumi to win the gold and most importantly book his place in Paris. the great Geno Petriashvili was there too but he chickened out in the SF, didn't want to lose once again to Zare.:thumbdown:

Masoumi is really talented, he is probably #2 or #3 in the world right now, it sucks when you are good but the best in the world is in your country. that's why Azerbaijan tried to "buy" him couple months ago. he said no for now but I'm afraid sooner or later he will switch to another NOC just to participate in major events. :( 

at 97kg, we had a huge surprise and youngster Amir Ali Azarpira came from nowhere to beat Snyder in the final :yikes: while our experienced wrestler Ghasempour lost 4-0 to Snyder in the semifinal and settled for bronze.

now it's up to the coaches to decide who is going to the Asian OQT to qualify the weight. it's hard/impossible to ignore Azarpira now. but they are not going to cross Ghasempour's name easily. he is too popular and I believe will get another chance.

so in short, in Zagreb we found out the name of our Olympic team members at 65 and 125, the rest will be decided later 

Ranking Series (:CRO Zagreb)

Day #2 & #3 Champions

Men's Freestyle

-79kg: :IRI Mohammad Nokhodi
-92kg: :USA Nathan Dyamin Jackson
-97kg: :IRI Amirali Azarpira
-125kg: :IRI Amir Hossein Zare

Women's Wrestling

-50kg: :JPN Yui Susaki
-55kg: :CAN Samantha Leigh Stewart
-59kg: :UKR Alina Filipovych
-62kg: :KGZ Aisuluu Tynybekova