website statistics

Athletics 2024 Discussion Thread

Totallympics

On 6/19/2024 at 11:35 PM, Grassmarket said:

During this event Klaudia Kazimierska did improved her personal best in 1500m by more than 4 seconds and qualified to Olympics! :clap:

Also it was first event where heptathle Adrianna Sułek started, after childbirth in mid-February, in high jump she achieved 1.79cm, where her personal best is 1.92cm and in 100m hurdles she ran 13.83 where 13.08 is her personal best.

On Wednesday we had the Filothei Women Gala in Athens where they do just 5 events (100m, 100 hurdles, long jump, high jump, pole vault).

Emmanouilidou won the 100m with 11.29 and I think she's pretty much guaranteed to go to Paris at this point, whether in 100m, 200m, or both.

Pesiridou finished 2nd with 12.99 (+2.2) in the 100 hurdles, despite the wind assistance it was the first time since 2016 that she ran under 13 seconds. She really needed something like this to keep her Paris hopes alive so at least there's still a chance she can go. She DNF in Tokyo and actually didn't even make it to the first hurdle, so I really hope she'll get another Olympic chance as she was young and inexperienced still in Rio and will probably be too old in Los Angeles.

Long jump was uneventful from a Greek perspective as was the pole vault although Adamopoulou gained some important ranking points to boost her Olympic chances.

The big highlight for us was the high jump where Gusin jumped 1.94, which is her outdoor PB and equals her indoor PB which was from 2019! She seems certain now at 30 yo to qualify for the Olympics, after injuries ruined her chances for Rio and Tokyo. I really hope she doesn't get injured in the next 6 weeks so she can finally make her Olympic debut!

It’s the all day meet in Geneva tomorrow - lots of age group races preparing for the Junior competitions next month.  But….I think I’m right in saying that this is everyone’s last regularly scheduled chance to get a 4x100m time registered before the Olympics deadline next Sunday.

42 minutes ago, Grassmarket said:

It’s the all day meet in Geneva tomorrow - lots of age group races preparing for the Junior competitions next month.  But….I think I’m right in saying that this is everyone’s last regularly scheduled chance to get a 4x100m time registered before the Olympics deadline next Sunday.

And just when I was wondering, Gavin at Athletics Weekly comes through with the start list. The two 4x100ms off early!  :SCO Running in both, just in case…

https://slv.laportal.net/Competitions/Details/13442

Edited by Grassmarket