website statistics

Athletics 2024 Discussion Thread

Totallympics

Ideas like these just devaluate the titles and competition in other events because of competition inflation. It's happening in all of the sports, but nowhere does more competition actually lead to happier athletes or happier spectators I feel...:wall:

1 hour ago, phelps said:

actually, it's not a great idea

it makes the world champship just a meet like another, with no hype for many athletes, for TV networks and, in the long term, also for fans

look at those sports who already have the world champ every year ;)

Conversely, it also gets rid of the “dead year” during each cycle. Although, I’ve read there won’t be a formal word championships in 2026. World Athletics wants to do some sort of top flight invitational though.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

There is no dead year for Europeans for instance since they hold European Championships alas many top athletes will probably skip a year during the cycle anyway. The Americans will always find a way to lose some of their best athletes in the dreaded trial system or NCAA eligibility rules.

Commonwealth Games are on their last rites so that is no longer a viable competition for anyone and well, let's see what other crazy ideas WA comes up with. I bet they aren't done with devaluation of field events yet :lol:

14 hours ago, Biathlonfan said:

Your mistake is thinking that i give one crap about the Tv networks,i don't,Yeah football will always be more popular,whoop de doo.What is the point of competitions after the world championships ? most of the big names are done after those,this makes perfect sense as the clear season finale.

I don't know what sports you want me to look at,since i don't exactly follow many.

Anyway,the publics reaction so far seems to be  that this is a rare world athletics win,so not that it always matters whatsoever,but you might be in the minority with this take.   

well, you might not give a crap to the TV networks, but they're those on the driving seat

they basically have the last word on dates, daily scheduling and, above all, they're those that pay the money that keeps all the game in place

without that, there's no way you can have a global and entertaining sport nowadays

p.s. and you're right, I agree with you...there's no point in going beyond the world champs (or the Olympics) when they're held (look at all the Winter Sports, the final part of the season doesn't even get close to the rest of the schedule in terms of hype and tv ratings -once again, we can be die hard fans and not care about that, but the sport offcials have to, if they want, themselves more than the sport, to survive), but I was contesting the time where WA want the outdoor season to end...it's too late in the calendar and it's gonna face too much competition from the main sport attraction all over the world (except for the USA, where in any case they have the same problem with their kind of football)

p.p.s. being among the minority, it's not a problem for me (I rarely am among the majority, always and forever) ;)

11 minutes ago, Orangehair43 said:

Taking a big risk giving it to China a by 2027 America will likely be in total boycott China mode (I fully expect China to be denied entry to LA 2028 with the IOC having to decide between allowing it or cancelling the games). 

:facepalm::facepalm: Here we go again…

Ceh competed in another indoor event yesterday,this time in Talinn,not an official comp but result was 65 90,new indoor pb for him,also he's not gonna be in Leria for the european throwing cup,he said that in the interwiew in Berlin after the mixed discus challenge.