website statistics

Women's Volleyball FIVB Nations League 2024 Road to Paris 2024

Josh

1 hour ago, Josh said:

It’s not happening lmao.

Not likely, but obviously you're not going to really celebrate yet if it's 99% sure :p 

Strange to see the celebrations though: with the VNL teams being bigger than the Olympic teams, there's players in there who know that sure, they can celebrate a bit, but they are not likely to actually make the Olympics. That must be such a bitter feeling, especially when trying to pretend you're feeling awesome after a big win like this.

Edited by heywoodu

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

5 hours ago, Dennis said:

It would be a surprise, but don’t underestimate the Dutch when it comes to messing up an important game. 

Indeed. But if they still manage to screw it up, they really don't deserve it.

But today's match ... wow ... never expected to win this 'easy' 3:0. Very happy for our girls. 

And I'm also a bit sad for @Josh. If you are such a big fan, such an outcome is not fun. Dutch volleyball fans experienced this many many many times in the past.

Edited by CCB

15 minutes ago, CCB said:

And I'm also a bit sad for @Josh. If you are such a big fan, such an outcome is not fun. Dutch volleyball fans experienced this many many many times in the past.

Agreed! This must be a hard match to watch on the losing side. Especially after such a long and close qualification race.

It's never over till it's over, but in this form we really should be taking at least a set versus :KOR. I never expected our volleyball team would get this far this Olympic cycle!

2 hours ago, Jinzha said:

Agreed! This must be a hard match to watch on the losing side. Especially after such a long and close qualification race.

It's never over till it's over, but in this form we really should be taking at least a set versus :KOR. I never expected our volleyball team would get this far this Olympic cycle!

Indeed, after the very poor World Championships in 2022, and the retirement of several players. Paris would be a good experience, the nucleus of the team is young enough to continue until at least 2028. Probably see Knip, Plak, Buijs and Dijkema retire after Paris. Jasper, Timmerman and Bongaerts would be 32 in 2028,  so may not make that tournament 

I watched few matches from both teams in this VNL and I think Canada was clearly a better team this year but that doesn't matter, they lost the direct quota match and they can't complain. I think it was a tactical mistake going all out for a win against Japan yesterday. they weren't mentally and physically ready for another "fight" in less than 24 hours. 

it was sad watching Alexa Gray giving her interview to that FIVB guy while she was almost crying :(. but that's it, that's the beauty of sports. someone has to cry at the end, and sometimes both sides cry like today.

now the qualification is done, let's hope Italy wins an Olympic gold finally , men or women :d

Edited by MHSN

Posted (edited)

Still struggling to find words after what happened earlier today, but I just wanted to congratulate all of the :NED users on here for the Olympic quota. It’s going to take some time to recover from the heartbreak, but I genuinely am happy for you all. I still think Canada is more likely to cause some upsets had they made the Olympics though. 

@CCB @Jinzha I know how much it means to you two, and in the end the Netherlands played better than Canada so... We had our chances in the 1st and 3rd sets (… 16-11 up) but couldn’t take either one of of them. 

@Dennis @Noorderling29 @heywoodu congrats as well!

@rybak @Adriano @Laraja @copravolley thank you for all of the support, sorry we couldn’t back it up with Olympic qualification :cry::cry::cry:

I am wondering if Mitrovic got injured during practice, Johnson was making error after error (only decent thing she got going was her blocking) and yet somehow Winzer still never subbed her off :facepalm::hairpull:

Still, I think the work that Winzer has done over the last couple of years has been phenomenal, Canada’s women’s volleyball team has made major strides, and we were this close to making the Olympics for the first time since 1996 twice (thanks Serbia/Netherlands :mad:). Hopefully this isn’t the last we’ve seen of them. 

Really wish that Gray/White (and the rest of the team besides loser Johnson, who was a liability on defense/passing/attacking today :cry::spank: ) will stick around for another Olympic quad, but Gray is 29 and White is 30 so it isn’t looking likely. Larson is still playing at 37 though, so it’s possible. Depends on a number of factors. 

Edited by Josh

9 minutes ago, MHSN said:

I watched few matches from both teams in this VNL and I think Canada was clearly a better team this year but that doesn't matter, they lost the direct quota match and they can't complain. I think it was a tactical mistake going all out for a win against Japan yesterday. they weren't mentally and physically ready for another "fight" in less than 24 hours. 

it was sad watching Alexa Gray giving her interview to that FIVB guy while she was almost crying :(. but that's it, that's the beauty of sports. someone has to cray at the end, and sometimes both sides cry like today.

now the qualification is done, let's hope Italy wins an Olympic gold finally , men or women :d

I believe that idiotic FIVB commentator also told her “it’s over” near the end of the interview. He’s not wrong obviously, but he doesn’t seem to understand that’s not the time to be saying something like that… 

Or maybe he’s a :NED fan and just doesn’t seem to care :p (still have some compassion buddy)