website statistics

Commonwealth Games 2022

Totallympics

4 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

It’s more the cultural/social impact of shooting being removed. No one would dare remove Athletics (Caribbean/African stronghold), or Gymnastics (Britain stronghold), or Swimming (Australia stronghold), or Rugby (White people everywhere + Fiji, Samoa, South Africa), but when people of color in Asia get good at a sport, it gets removed. I’m not saying that was Birmingham 2022’s intentions were at all, but the removal of shooting (for lack of venue) is a bit fishing considering the lengths their going to for the likes of cycling. I do personally think the removal was meant to give the English a medal table advantage. However, the situation is way overblown at this point.

Something you're really funny...

Well I'll go devil's advocate …..

I recall India didn't hold triathlon when Delhi held the Games as there is no Indian interest in this sport even though it is popular among the white countries .

As for shooting I'd say both England and Australia are better at this sport at Olympic level ( both regularly win gold at Olympics . India have only ever won one gold medal )

I'd say the real point is that shooting is poor TV at least outside Asia . People like to see racing events -running, swimming and , yes, triathlon .

The second point is that most Western countries ( USA excepted ) don't particularly like to promote shooting as a sport these days 

I doubt if many outside India would care if India left the Commonwealth . The " Old " Commonwealth might even welcome it in these days of special pleading for migration rights . The other "New " Commonwealth countries probably couldn't care less 

6 hours ago, Fly_like_a_don said:

Perfectly said by @Olympian1010 

When cycling can be held in London why not shooting in Manchester which is nearer than London. 

More over shooting has seen a domination from India at the world stage like never before. So removing it will be more than just losing medals!! It will be like denying our shooters a important chance of exposure in multi sport events , which is required as shooting is expected to win more medals than any other sport worldwide. 

The sport cannot be held in Manchester

It would have to be held in a small town, and the venue would have to renovated. Cycling is popular and the infrastructure is there in London to have an external village. 

Birmingham 2022 actually offered to host pistol and rifle events but the ISSF said no. So too bad. You cannot have it all..

31 minutes ago, intoronto said:

The sport cannot be held in Manchester

It would have to be held in a small town, and the venue would have to renovated. Cycling is popular and the infrastructure is there in London to have an external village. 

Birmingham 2022 actually offered to host pistol and rifle events but the ISSF said no. So too bad. You cannot have it all..

Lol!! 

The size of the town and venue isnt a problem. If they wanted to they could have hosted it. 

Secondly when you tell something make sure it's true. Birmingham never offered to host rifle and pistol events. They only wanted to host the 300m rifle bore,  the queen's prize event,  the most useless shooting event held outdoors  . ISSF said no because it wanted rifle, pistol and shotgun not that nonsense 300m rifle. 

Edited by Fly_like_a_don

3 hours ago, rajiv said:

As for shooting I'd say both England and Australia are better at this sport at Olympic level ( both regularly win gold at Olympics . India have only ever won one gold medal )

If you don't follow shooting sport pls refrain from commenting . India is undoubtedly the best nation in shooting by leaps and bounds currently. If shooting was scrapped 2 decades ago it wouldn't have mattered much but now it's just manipulating to strengthen England's position. 

7 minutes ago, Fly_like_a_don said:

Lol!! 

The size of the town and venue isnt a problem. If they wanted to they could have hosted it. 

Secondly when you tell something make sure it's true. Birmingham never offered to host rifle and pistol events. They only wanted to host the 300m rifle bore,  the queen's prize event,  the most useless shooting event held outdoors  . ISSF said no because it wanted rifle, pistol and shotgun not that nonsense 300m rifle. 

Sorry I had my events mixed up, I was partially right though. The latter has traditional events on the Commonwealth program (the queen's prize).  At least there was a compromise offered by Birmingham 2022. The size of the town does matter in terms of these events. Where will the athletes stay? Etc. It just adds unnecessary costs for a sport that does not add that much revenue to the games. I am sure if the venue was in the Greater Birmingham area, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Edited by intoronto

Just now, Fly_like_a_don said:

If you don't follow shooting sport pls refrain from commenting . India is undoubtedly the best nation in shooting by leaps and bounds currently. If shooting was scrapped 2 decades ago it wouldn't have mattered much but now it's just manipulating to strengthen England's position. 

"When you tell something, make sure its true"

25 minutes ago, Fly_like_a_don said:

That sounds way too much like conspiracy talk.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 hour ago, Fly_like_a_don said:

55 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

That sounds way too much like conspiracy talk.

Just saying how the world outside India sees these things . India is big on shooting as a sport but has an inferior record to UK and Australia at the Olympics . I have spent a lot of time in the UK and Australia and have never seen shooting mentioned in any general sports coverage . In fact shooting is only mentioned in a negative way as in shooting licenses should be made harder to get .

For the last 5 Olympics :

Australia :3G 1S 3B  7T

GB           2G 1S 2B  5T

India         1G 2S 1B 4T

And the further you go back in time the further behind the other two India is 

OK I haven't checked the Commonwealth Games medal tallies but I'd measure performance by Olympic results