website statistics

Commonwealth Games 2022

Totallympics

20 minutes ago, Dunadan said:

On the other side, one could say that the organizers should grow up and not cut a traditional sport only because they don't care about it, while other Commonwealth countries do and are pretty good at it.

Oh don't get me wrong, I think it's weird to cut it even though I find it rather boring, but boycotting the entire event because of it and taking away rare opportunities from athletes in all kinds of non-related sports just cause you're angry? Meh.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

5 hours ago, Dunadan said:

On the other side, one could say that the organizers should grow up and not cut a traditional sport only because they don't care about it, while other Commonwealth countries do and are pretty good at it.

Especially when they kept Beach Volleyball. There was like maybe two pairs that were in the top 50 in the world at the last Commonwealth Games.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

20 hours ago, heywoodu said:

Oh don't get me wrong, I think it's weird to cut it even though I find it rather boring, but boycotting the entire event because of it and taking away rare opportunities from athletes in all kinds of non-related sports just cause you're angry? Meh.

While proposing a boycott of the 2022 CWG, Batra had lashed out at the CGF leadership for having an “India bashing mindset” and for “trying to change rules” whenever the country does well in the Commonwealth Games. He went to the extent of saying that India is no longer a colony of any country.

This proposal might not be accepted by the people and maybe even the government but it reflects the feeling of Indians about the attitude of the people involved in Commonwealth decisions.

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/07/2019 at 18:06, intoronto said:

Fun times for the CGF:

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 25/09/2019 at 06:59, Fly_like_a_don said:

I don't get it. If it's too easy for India to get medals at the CWG, why are they so angry about losing a couple of medal chances? In theory, there are plenty of other chances in other sports, right? 

3 minutes ago, thiago_simoes said:

I don't get it. If it's too easy for India to get medals at the CWG, why are they so angry about losing a couple of medal chances? In theory, there are plenty of other chances in other sports, right? 

It’s more the cultural/social impact of shooting being removed. No one would dare remove Athletics (Caribbean/African stronghold), or Gymnastics (Britain stronghold), or Swimming (Australia stronghold), or Rugby (White people everywhere + Fiji, Samoa, South Africa), but when people of color in Asia get good at a sport, it gets removed. I’m not saying that was Birmingham 2022’s intentions were at all, but the removal of shooting (for lack of venue) is a bit fishing considering the lengths their going to for the likes of cycling. I do personally think the removal was meant to give the English a medal table advantage. However, the situation is way overblown at this point.

20 minutes ago, thiago_simoes said:

Actually..... The CWG is dominated by ENGLAND and AUSTRALIA to the point that they do not allow any voice of other nations...... Many decisions in shooting, weightlifting have been anti india snd i guess that's what batra is saying

strength does not come from physical capacity but from an indomitable will. - Gandhi

47 minutes ago, thiago_simoes said:

Perfectly said by @Olympian1010 

When cycling can be held in London why not shooting in Manchester which is nearer than London. 

More over shooting has seen a domination from India at the world stage like never before. So removing it will be more than just losing medals!! It will be like denying our shooters a important chance of exposure in multi sport events , which is required as shooting is expected to win more medals than any other sport worldwide. 

To be fair, India’s always had the short end of the commonwealth (and I’m talking in general here). Quite frankly I don’t understand why they just don’t leave the commonwealth. Shooting is almost definitely a commonwealth sport. It might not be historically, but it is one of the most widespread within the commonwealth now.