website statistics

Weightlifting IWF World Championships 2023 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

1 hour ago, MHSN said:

we never had a World Champion from Group C, did we ?

well there is a first for everything :d

I guess we had this Indonesian lifter who won last year not sure if he was from group B or C 

Edit : he was from group B actually 

Edited by thepharoah

And we have a Spanish lifter from Group D actually finished 5th in total only 2kg shy of Bronze :d we have also a lifter ftom Madagascar who finished 4th in Snatch from Group D , i knew from these strange entries that we will have something like that , IWF should be more firm about entries its just unfair 

1 hour ago, MHSN said:

we never had a World Champion from Group C, did we ?

well there is a first for everything :d

yeah, I guess this is the first ever Group C champion (while we've seen a few from Group B, even the Olympic Champion -the great :PRK Om in London)

by the way, 5th and 7th overall are from Group D :yikes: :facepalm:

imho, not good for the sport, though :finger:

and I have to say that Wichuma might be sensational, but I fear Thailand haven't learned the lesson from the previous suspension :zip:

however, looking at the men's -73kg OQR, Today's competition didn't bring anything new to the standings

Today's Gold medallists :THA Weerapon Wichuma (349kg Total) was already high in the ranking, but of course now goes even higher, in 2nd place

the only new entry in the Top 10 is Today's Silver medallist, :CHN Wei Yinting (337kg Total), who climbed the ranking up to 7th place, consolidating :CHN position, as they were only 10th after Chen Lijun's effort in the -67kg a couple of days ago

now the last above the qualification line is :TUR Muhammed Furkan Ozbek with 334kg

Tokyo 2020 bronze medallist :ITA Mirko Zanni, who didn't participate in today's event (even if he was regularly registered in Group A) because of a knee injury that made the Italian coaches take the decision to pull out at the last minute to preserve him from aggravating said injury, is still in the 9th useful place and he should pay attention to what's gonna happen in the next months if he doesn't want to miss the Paris Games

Edited by phelps

we always had some favorites preferring group B to avoid all group A tensions but that was only a few number. this year this is happening a lot

I might be wrong but I have a theory, in previous tournaments you should finalize your entry record 1 day before the start in the general meeting but nowadays they submit their entry records online and if I'm not wrong they had to finalize it on 21 August. maybe that was a bit early. some weightlifters were facing minor injuries and their coaches didn't know if they will be 100% ready 20 days later. so they just decided to play safe. I can't believe all these guys submitted very low entries intentionally to not be in Group A

now I'm really curious to see what happens at the next Asian Games (especially considering that many people already posted some scary (suspicious) results earlier in the year at the Asian Champs :mumble:

I fear that some Asian guys still have some fine tuning to do and are not at 100% here in Saudi Arabia

5 hours ago, El Analyzer said:

Legally you’re correct 

but with the new testing methods which can detect more substances I doubt those samples were actually clean.. but of course can’t change the rules 🤷‍♂️

We think there was no positive sample, they were destroyed years ago, but documents from 2011 to 2015 proved Russia covered up positive tests from that period. The investigation probably began in 2018 or 2019 so that was within the 8 year limit.

Edited by Dragon

13 hours ago, El Analyzer said:

:CHN will have to choose three athletes only between 5 weight categories they are dominating in women competition... just wondering what would be their selection criteria  

According to the past experience of Tokyo OG, China has internal selection criteria on Asian Championships on OG year. The standard will be very high even higher than World Record. If the champion of the category meet the standard then she will be automatically selected otherwise mainly considering the margin of winning I guess. My personal choice will be 49kg, 81kg and 87kg+ currently.

6 hours ago, Vic Liu said:

According to the past experience of Tokyo OG, China has internal selection criteria on Asian Championships on OG year. The standard will be very high even higher than World Record. If the champion of the category meet the standard then she will be automatically selected otherwise mainly considering the margin of winning I guess. My personal choice will be 49kg, 81kg and 87kg+ currently.

that makes sense, my expectation is close to yours 49kg, 71kg and+87kg (but not dicounting 81kg).

however, someone like Lui Shifang in 59 kg category, she has not great margin with Konotop from :UKR but she is solid and not easy to come close to her total lifts... anyway, good luck for your team and wish the best athletes to be slected