website statistics

Totallympics Sports Review of 2019

Dragon

1 hour ago, Monzanator said:

Reminds me of this: (Hint #1 everyone in Europe knows how Michael Jordan looks like :lol: ). All these LeBron vs Jordan debates you have in USA are moot, Europe votes for Jordan all the time. Hint #2 nobody over here knows a damn thing about baseball, even a guy wearing a Yankee cap can't recognize Jeter :lol: 

Nothing new there. Yankees is a massive brand and I wouldn't be surprised if half the Europeans (and most likely even more) wearing Yankees stuff can't mention a single player.

It's a bit of the same with Oakland Raiders (though I would guess that way more Europeans know them) ans St. Pauli. I most likely forget other teams.

It's a bit like a Ramones t-shirt. It's cool (to some people) though they know nothing about it.

Personally I only know Jeter by name. I couldn't recognize him if my life depended on it.

9 minutes ago, Agger said:

Nothing new there. Yankees is a massive brand and I wouldn't be surprised if half the Europeans (and most likely even more) wearing Yankees stuff can't mention a single player.

It's a bit of the same with Oakland Raiders (though I would guess that way more Europeans know them) ans St. Pauli. I most likely forget other teams.

It's a bit like a Ramones t-shirt. It's cool (to some people) though they know nothing about it.

Personally I only know Jeter by name. I couldn't recognize him if my life depended on it.

I'm a Raiders fan (due to Janikowski playing there for so long) but yeah, it's the most popular NFL cap in Poland even though gridiron itself isn't that popular by any means (I've seen Cowboys & Packers gear too). The Yankees logo is way more popular than Knicks for instance and it's a brand alright identified with USA in general rather than actual baseball club. Then again I remember how in the 90s Chicago Bulls was a popular cap theme (due to Jordan of course) but the second most popular was Charlotte Hornets who weren't all that good (and I'm sure nobody would recognize Alonzo Mourning that easily either). This was a social myth for a while why so many Hornets gear was there and the most common answer was that their logo was pretty cool and made up for a good marketing :p

PS. I probably wouldn't recognize Jeter without the cap either :lol: 

5 hours ago, Agger said:

I do not have anything from the Yankee brand, but about a one single name: "Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? Our nation turns its lonely eyes to you. Ooh-ooh-ooh!"

4 minutes ago, Vojthas said:

I do not have anything from the Yankee brand, but about a one single name: "Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? Our nation turns its lonely eyes to you. Ooh-ooh-ooh!"

Joe DiMaggio, A-Rod and Jeter are the only Yankees players I can mention right now :p

6 hours ago, Agger said:

It's a bit of the same with Oakland Raiders (though I would guess that way more Europeans know them) ans St. Pauli.

:lol:

I asked some of my friends who wear Raiders T-shirts/hoodies and most of them don't evenknow it is an American football team. They just buy it because it looks badass/thuggish.

8 hours ago, Agger said:

I did one better. While I could have easily got a Yankees cap, I specially ordered online a Giants cap. :p

#banbestmen

I have a random hat from Chile, a Ferrari cap, a PSG jersey, and for some odd reason, a Turkish National Team jersey.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

1. Male sportsperson of the year: :NOR Johannes Thingnes Boe
  2. Female sportsperson of the year: :USA Mikaela Shiffrin
  3. Team of the year: :POL men's volleyball NT
  4. Junior sportsman of the year (under 20 years old at 1/1/2019): :HUN Kristóf Milák
  5. Junior sportswoman of the year (under 20 years old at 1/1/2019): :POL Magdalena Stysiak
  6. Greatest moment of the year: Selfie with HSH Prince Albert II of :MON
  7. Biggest idiot of the year: The one responsible for DSQ of :HUN K2 500 m at their home Worlds.