website statistics

Commonwealth Games 2026

Totallympics

1 minute ago, mpjmcevoy said:

Singapore, like Monaco, is very good at creating room when it wants to. There are a number er of sports they d love to host given the chan e, Inc swimming and badminton ton, and possibly sevens

No, I agree Singapore would work, but I was more questioning about Brunei's contribution.

That might not be out of the question. Canada suggested hosting events in Jamaica and Gibraltar as part of a 2030 bid.

However Malaysia doesn't strike me as a country that would be willing to split

10 minutes ago, intoronto said:

That might not be out of the question. Canada suggested hosting events in Jamaica and Gibraltar as part of a 2030 bid.

Gibraltar was a bit wild, but Jamaica certainly made sense, esp for netball and cricket, neither wildly high on Canadian agenda. IMHO sending the triathlon to Bermuda would have been another easy win, and they also have long standing links with Turks and Caicos.

Gibraltar should be reserved, perhaps, for the next UK based games - with cyrpus offered beach volleyball and gymnastics, Jersey the bowls and Isle of Man the road cycling.

38 minutes ago, intoronto said:

It's clear from Malaysia OlCom website that they are all in for this - it's up to Malaysian government now, but if it's slightly scaled back, and designed to suit Malaysia in terms of sport, the chances are probably high its been rescued rfom the jaws of death, for now. The offer from CFG of 100 million to Malaysia (which they seem to like as a umber) also leaves 100m in the kitty, I would suggest, for off site Commonwealth Championships in any sports keen to have one that Malaysia can't host either itself or with Singapore - thus squaring the circle of a scaled back Games. Malaysia has athletics, aquatics, gymnastics and track cycling venues already - most of the rest doesn't require huge infrasctructure, but can always be offered elsewhere (singapore would be happy enough to take on sevens, Malayia will be happy to do Netball - bowls in Darwin, prghaps?

3 minutes ago, mpjmcevoy said:

It's clear from Malaysia OlCom website that they are all in for this - it's up to Malaysian government now, but if it's slightly scaled back, and designed to suit Malaysia in terms of sport, the chances are probably high its been rescued rfom the jaws of death, for now. The offer from CFG of 100 million to Malaysia (which they seem to like as a umber) also leaves 100m in the kitty, I would suggest, for off site Commonwealth Championships in any sports keen to have one that Malaysia can't host either itself or with Singapore - thus squaring the circle of a scaled back Games. Malaysia has athletics, aquatics, gymnastics and track cycling venues already - most of the rest doesn't require huge infrasctructure, but can always be offered elsewhere (singapore would be happy enough to take on sevens, Malayia will be happy to do Netball - bowls in Darwin, prghaps?

As for Brunei DS, they are fans there of archery and shooting; sports relatively cheap to host but allowing them to make a contribution, and keeping our Indian friends happy.

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Dkats said:

Lmao just abolish the thing already. It’s day and relevance has passed 

We need a new games to fill that spot. Maybe OCA and Asian Games will take Oceania in ...

It’s just so flawed it’s crazy. The burden is always on either Aus or Uk to host it, don’t really ever see Canada or New Zealand doing as much to try and host. No disrespect intended to our kiwi friends but I don’t think they can host a major sporting event at this scope without co-hosting with Australia. 

I wonder if India will want a mini one without the big sports but taking the lesser sports which they good at alongside those not in the Olympics.  They were doing so before Birmingham.. 

Edited by Orangehair43