website statistics

Commonwealth Games 2026

Totallympics

Just now, dullard said:

Victoria could've hosted a budget games because they have all the needed venues but they instead decided to go forward with this regional fantasy.

And now no state government in Australia will bid for it and they have probably made Brisbane 2032 get the plug pulled soon as well. 

Just now, Orangehair43 said:

And now no state government in Australia will bid for it and they have probably made Brisbane 2032 get the plug pulled soon as well. 

Brisbane 2032 is safe. It has bipartisan support at every level of government (federal, state, local).

22 minutes ago, dullard said:

Brisbane 2032 is safe. It has bipartisan support at every level of government (federal, state, local).

Didn’t Victoria 2026 until today?  There will be multiple state and federal elections before then any of which could see one of the major parties adopt an anti games position to win votes. Social media and the press is full of demands to cancel Brisbane 2032. 

Edited by Orangehair43

30 minutes ago, dullard said:

I wonder if the Comm Games were to stop existing would this trigger further integration of Oceania into Asia for sports? Oceanian really is isn't a viable sports region.

I don't think it will be a catalyst for them to join Asia. It's not like the Commonwealth Games provide much sporting opportunity for Australia/New Zealand. It's only one event every four years.

Australia/New Zealand seem to be content on focusing on World Championships/World Cup events. Money wise it is still expensive for them to travel to Asia for continental events. This isn't Europe where you can drive to multiple European countries (or take a cheap airline).

46 minutes ago, dullard said:

I wonder if the Comm Games were to stop existing would this trigger further integration of Oceania into Asia for sports?

The more interesting prospect might be what it would mean for the European Championships/European Games.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

18 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

The more interesting prospect might be what it would mean for the European Championships/European Games.

Funny you say that. I was thinking that this could further jeopardize future Commonwealth Games. Even if it does stop could this be the last time we see the home nations competing separately? With costs of hosting multi sport games its becoming not a very viable option. I mean there was talk about us in NZ hosting a future games but with Victoria pulling out I doubt very much this will happen. 

1 hour ago, JoshMartini007 said:

I don't think it will be a catalyst for them to join Asia. It's not like the Commonwealth Games provide much sporting opportunity for Australia/New Zealand. It's only one event every four years.

Australia/New Zealand seem to be content on focusing on World Championships/World Cup events. Money wise it is still expensive for them to travel to Asia for continental events. This isn't Europe where you can drive to multiple European countries (or take a cheap airline).

A limited amount of integration has already started with Australia joining Asia for football and Oceanian countres are also allowed to compete at Asian Games in certain sports.

1 hour ago, Olympian1010 said:

Why would this affect those at all? The Brits already participate in those competitions.

5 minutes ago, dullard said:

Why would this affect those at all? The Brits already participate in those competitions.

It frees up the calendar and maybe injects a little more funding for those events. They might be more willing to take the European Games seriously now.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela