website statistics

Track Cycling at the Cycling UCI World Championships 2023 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

3 hours ago, SalamAkhi said:

? She's only 6 months younger than Kouamé, both are 2002. 

Anyway the fact that she beat them despite being younger does not account for a particularly "special" talent, no more than her being beaten until recently proves she shouldn't be here now. 

My mistake. I had Kouame as being born in 2001.

I don’t think the scratch races are in the Paralympic program for 2024 though :(

Para track cycling suffers from being too dependent on timed events rather than racing. The draw of track cycling, in my opinion, is head-to-head racing. 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

22 minutes ago, Jinzha said:

The madison is just too chaotic for my liking. Time for a clearcut event where 2 big muscular men ride three laps and Lavreysen crosses the finish line first.

Bit surprised that :DEN :BEL :GER Were so passive there

54 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

I don’t think the scratch races are in the Paralympic program for 2024 though :(

Para track cycling suffers from being too dependent on timed events rather than racing. The draw of track cycling, in my opinion, is head-to-head racing. 

Para-cycling, especially at paralympic games level, will by necessity include cyclists of significant athletic prowess, but occasionally sub-optimal technical skills - sometimes, especially in lower classifications, through no fault of their own. That said, I enjoy the World para scratch races immensely, and I really like the fact they've created an omnium event for them which hopefully will be in LA28.

Does make me wonder if Athletics could not create a 3 or 4 event 'triathlon/quadrathlon' to give athletes the same opportunity -  given the nature of athletics points systems, it should be possible to have multi-class events - say 100,400, and either club, or shot put and javelin for wheelchair or 100, long jump, 800 for VI classes - or 100, javelin, 400, long jump for amputee clasess...

42 minutes ago, Jinzha said:

The madison is just too chaotic for my liking. Time for a clearcut event where 2 big muscular men ride three laps and Lavreysen crosses the finish line first.

Lavreysen once again proves to be the best track sprinter at the moment. A great achievement from someone who is undervalued in the Netherlands. While he is really a super nice and approachable boy. Hopefully he will one day receive the right appreciation in the Netherlands.

Except for Lavreysen, the Dutch team is having a bad tournament with a handful of fourth and fifth places.