website statistics

Athletics WA World Championships 2023

Totallympics

7 hours ago, LDOG said:

How is the hungarian economy sustained? These are middle east levels of investment in sport events without oil (that I know of).

European economy and everything else is already built for the country to function. Plus their politicians aren't stealing that much (in contrast of what Western media like to talk about Orban). 

Now Bulgarian politicians are a different breed. With all the stolen money and corruption here in the last 12 years, that went for hotels in Northern Greece, we could probably build 5 such stadiums. Some countries just know their priorities.

8 minutes ago, Federer91 said:

European economy and everything else is already built for the country to function. Plus their politicians aren't stealing that much (in contrast of what Western media like to talk about Orban). 

Are you seriious?

9 hours ago, phelps said:

my highlights, the men's Hammer Throw

You got to see something of that? :p

I forgot to turn on the Eurosport Player stream of that specific final. Too bad, because in the main broadcast basically nothing was shown except for a random throw by Fajdek or Nowicki and some replay of a decent attempt by Katzberg (not even his winning throw). And all of a sudden that final was apparently over :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

8 hours ago, Vektor said:

Back to today's events. I am not sure what you saw on TV, but in the stadium Krizsán was shown as the bronze medalist for 30 seconds, that's why the crowd went insane. I think even Krizsán though for a sec that some miracle happened. They need to be more careful about how they show the live calculation.

They show a different live calculation in the stadium? Because on TV Vetter was shown as bronze basically the whole way, with Vidts and then Krizsan being close for a bit, but in the last 100 meters or so they took the live standings away from the graphics, so on TV there was never any sense that anything unexpected happened in the fight for bronze...

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

9 hours ago, OlympicsFan said:

Women's long jump: Pretty weak behind Spanovic. Insane that she peaks at such an old age. Mihambo shouldn't lose too much sleep over this. Iapichino was a massive letdown. Luzolo for sure had the chance to finish top 6, but sadly she couldn't even replicate her performance from prelims.

Women's heptathlon: Pretty low level for bronze. Right now Thiam, KJT and Hall look like the clear favorites for the medals next year, but maybe someone else can step up and get to 6700-6800 points. Weißenberg would have won bronze with 6.40 m in the long jump.

Men's hammer throw: Insane that Katzenberg improved by 12 m in 2 years ... i wish Germany would some day find an athlete with such a rate of improvement.

Women's LJ was a letdown especially given some athletes just couldn't give their best and the progression in HT by Katzberg is something different, but I don't know his backstory. Sometimes backstory explains large progression.

On the 7 I completely disagree: Brooks would have taken bronze if it wasn't for tripling out of LJ, while Vetter has shown she can sustain a better level just one year ago, lack of training could be issue with her. There is also the question of injury, especially with KJT. And then we have Sulek and USA can qualify a better athlete than Hawkins, who can surely get to 6700 if they are on form. 

8 hours ago, owenp_23 said:

Points Table after Day 2

(10-8-6-5...)

1. :USA 69

2. :ETH 35

3. :GBR 25

Hide contents

4. :ESP 24 5. :KEN 23 t6. :CAN 18 t6. :ITA 18 8. :POL 14 9. :HUN 11 t10. :SRB 10 t10. :UGA 10 t10. :ROU 10 13. :AUS 9 t14. :BOT 8

t14. :SWE 8 t14. :BRA 8 t14. :NZL 8 t14. :GER 8 19. :BEL 7 t20. :CZE 6 t20. :NED 6 t20. :JAM 6 t23. :FRA 5 t23. :NGR  5 t23. :PER 5

t23. :ECU 5 t23. :JPN 5 t28. :MEX 4 t28. :UKR 4 t30. :FIN 3 t30. :IRL 3 t32. :BUR 2 t32. :BDI 2 t32. :CRO 2 t32. :CHN 2 t32. :NOR 2

It looks like you forgot to award Emma Oosterwegel’s points to the Dutch tally.

Kriszan was, funnily enough, barely even shown on live tv for the whole two days. Would have been so random if she snatched that bronze.

Overall the broadcast quality has been sub par to say the least. I'm so tired off all those stadium from the outside shots and even more of those warm-up/transport/calling room shots (which only ever show runners, because of course).

Edited by dcro

#banbestmen

46 minutes ago, dcro said:

Overall the broadcast quality has been sub par to say the least. I'm so tired off all those stadium from the outside shots and even more of those warm-up/transport/calling room shots (which only ever show runners, because of course).

NBC likes the outer stadium shots because it sets them up nicely for commercial. The warm up shots let them preview big athletes coming up later in the program.

I generally watch the international feed for most events, since I prefer to watch the event uninterrupted with neutral commentary. I agree that it’s annoying that the HB is doing that stuff on the international feed too.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

6 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

NBC likes the outer stadium shots because it sets them up nicely for commercial. The warm up shots let them preview big athletes coming up later in the program.

I generally watch the international feed for most events, since I prefer to watch the event uninterrupted with neutral commentary. I agree that it’s annoying that the HB is doing that stuff on the international feed too.

We don't get TV commercials during live sporting event in public TV over here. Our commentators went RAVING MAD after TV director cut off from hammer right before Nowicki's first attempt to show some Ethiopians dancing on the warm-up track instead. So anyone watching TV could only watch Nowicki's first throw off tape some five minutes later (there was a special hammer cam on streaming though). I know nobody gives a flying hoot about field events these days but that was criminal coverage indeed, they didn't even cut off to lap 7 of the 10,000 race or something but to show some stupid dancing in the warm-up area :facepalm:

1 hour ago, heywoodu said:

You got to see something of that? :p

I forgot to turn on the Eurosport Player stream of that specific final. Too bad, because in the main broadcast basically nothing was shown except for a random throw by Fajdek or Nowicki and some replay of a decent attempt by Katzberg (not even his winning throw). And all of a sudden that final was apparently over :p 

That’s odd because on :GBR ES we got lots of the fifth & the whole of the sixth round.  BBC was indeed the same as you.

Edited by Grassmarket